GDT: #21| Philadelphia Flyers @ New York Islanders | November 24th 7:00 PM | F/SOW 1-0

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Did they give him a little video montage during a timeout? They did that for Streit last year and he got a nice ovation. AMac deserves that - he was a good soldier for a lot of years.

Not for nothing, but the whole thing would consist of him getting hit with pucks.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
funny how quiet the fire Cappy thread is...is he learning on the job ?!

Actually, he is. He's never line matched before or shaken lines up as much as he has been recently. He's either learning that he needs to do that or someone else is doing it for him.

iLand, as my post above says, I noticed Bailey playing the way we want Bailey to play. He is not going to be a 70 point scorer, but he is doing everything else very well, or did last night, including taking the body aggressively. Very pleased with his contribution, it is similar to but not as good as Kulemin, which is a compliment because the Cool one is outstanding game in and game out.

Tavares on the other hand is still in a struggle and may have regressed in parts of his game. He is playing hard, trying, but can not get a puck past a goalie guarding his net. He loses way to many pucks on unforced errors, makes blind passes, and has problems receiving passes on his stick on the rush.
The Tavares we have seen the past 20 games is not elite, not one of the superstars of the NHL in any way. KO had a monster game. If he starts to score JT's point totals will rise, but it would be KO leading JT, not the other way around.

I thought he was still pressing a little bit, but he had some quality chances tonight and was making a lot of smart plays that he wasn't making earlier in the month. Turnovers at the blue line still need to stop, but overall I was pleased with the progress he's been making game to game trying to get back to his game.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Halak bailed us out. We had no business winning that game. I know we outplayed them, but come on we couldn't convert on one goal? Overtime was crazy.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
Halak bailed us out. We had no business winning that game. I know we outplayed them, but come on we couldn't convert on one goal? Overtime was crazy.

So the team that more than doubled the shots of the other team was the one bailed out by their goalie? Halak hand an amazing game. Mason stood on his head.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
seriously?

it's ok....he is scaredstreit to say anything positive about the team....the biggest debbie downer on these boards....

it was definitely not one of our better games recently, and was very sloppy at times, but fact is, we beat a decent team without 2 of our dmen, while their goalie stood on their head......halak played well, but to say that mason didnt bail the flyers out is asinine....they had no business getting even 1 point

BillD

Feb 12, 2004

SS, you must get your eyes checked. Most team lose that game to an unconscious goalie. That was men against boys except it was NHL so the boys are petty good, but you get the distinction.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
SS, you must get your eyes checked. Most team lose that game to an unconscious goalie. That was men against boys except it was NHL so the boys are petty good, but you get the distinction.

The Flyers were completely outclassed, they couldn't keep up. Our forecheck was unrelenting and just kept coming wave after wave. That's our style, wear you down and then jump on your throat in the 3rd period. Remember the playoffs against the Pens? This team has built on that style like on steroids. With a real NHL defense and quality goaltending, this team can take down anyone. Teams will be crapping their pants worrying about how we match up against them.

We can skate teams to death, go toe to toe with the big and physical teams, and we have the youthful legs to keep it going all game. We're a scary mother-ing team already and we're going to get better. F the league, we're coming for all of you.

steve_buscemi_billy_madison.png

Are you hearing me?

tumblr_n4i1hodig41rdutw3o1_400.gif

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Yes. If anything, the flyers didn't even deserve the point that Mason stole for them. He was a one man show

This and i'm not sure how anyone who watched the game could disagree. I can't remember the last time i watched a game and asked myself "how did that not go in?"

Love watching this team play. They attack wave after wave. Every line plays the same way and works extremely hard. So many 2nd and 3rd efforts keeping the puck in the offensive zone. Kind of remind me of the same way the Kings play and i love it.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Kind of remind me of the same way the Kings play and i love it.

Cappy must have some dirt on Sutter and in turn for keeping quiet, Sutter has to teach cappy his secrets to coaching. Or when the team was in LA cappy kidnapped Sutters wife or kid or something and the randsom was "Make me a decent coach" lol

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
Did they give him a little video montage during a timeout? They did that for Streit last year and he got a nice ovation. AMac deserves that - he was a good soldier for a lot of years.

there was no montage, just with about 1 minute left in the 1st or 2nd they said we would like to Welcome back former Islander Andrew MacDonald and it said something like "Welcome Back" on the jumbotron, no video montage, I was watching Amac and the Flyers bench and they were all banging their stick and I think Amac was ready to come off the ice but the coach kept him on, I get the feeling they thought AMac meant more to the Islanders than he really did

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
there was no montage, just with about 1 minute left in the 1st or 2nd they said we would like to Welcome back former Islander Andrew MacDonald and it said something like "Welcome Back" on the jumbotron, no video montage, I was watching Amac and the Flyers bench and they were all banging their stick and I think Amac was ready to come off the ice but the coach kept him on, I get the feeling they thought AMac meant more to the Islanders than he really did
He did mean a lot to the Islanders, just not the fans.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
He did mean a lot to the Islanders, just not the fans.

Just not from the fans in the last year. How quickly we forget. You don't have to go many pages back on the board to see praise threads for a guy who was earning league minimum and playing warrior minutes for a franchise that couldn't pick get anyone to play for them if they picked them from a street game.

Sports fans have some of the worst and most selective memories.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Cappy must have some dirt on Sutter and in turn for keeping quiet, Sutter has to teach cappy his secrets to coaching. Or when the team was in LA cappy kidnapped Sutters wife or kid or something and the randsom was "Make me a decent coach" lol

As an avid Kings follower I think we are a hybrid of the Kings style of play and the Hawks speed and puck skill.

That being said, the Kings model is the one you'd want to follow.

Boychuk may be our version of them acquiring Scuderi before their 1st Cup run.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Just not from the fans in the last year. How quickly we forget. You don't have to go many pages back on the board to see praise threads for a guy who was earning league minimum and playing warrior minutes for a franchise that couldn't pick get anyone to play for them if they picked them from a street game.

Sports fans have some of the worst and most selective memories.

Agreed. In no shape or form did I want him back - especially at the price he commanded - and I liked that we got some value for him, but he was a good player for this team. Very cheap and did what we asked him to do. Unfortunately, he was asked to play #1 pairing minutes and role which he was ill equipped for, but he was still a good player for this team. Thankfully, we have better now.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Leafs fan here. I watched the whole game and can't really say that I was surprised. The Islanders sure know how to put on a puck possession clinic. I don't think there's another team who can gain the offensive zone with as much ease as the Isles. Their speed is ridiculous.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Leafs fan here. I watched the whole game and can't really say that I was surprised. The Islanders sure know how to put on a puck possession clinic. I don't think there's another team who can gain the offensive zone with as much ease as the Isles. Their speed is ridiculous.

Thanks. Now imagine inserting Grabner :banana:

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Mason bailed them out moreso, don't you think...?

Considering we didn't score a single goal....I think it's fair to say that yes Halak bailed us out. You literally cannot win the game ROW if you don't score a single goal.

Yes Mason was awesome. BUT we didn't score a single goal! Yes the team (18 skaters) outplayed the Flyers the entire game....but what did they have to show for it? NOTHING. there's NO excuse for scoring ZERO goals. None.

Anybody who think we win that game against most other NHL teams is kidding themselves.

BroadwayJay*

Considering we didn't score a single goal....I think it's fair to say that yes Halak bailed us out. You literally cannot win the game ROW if you don't score a single goal.

Yes Mason was awesome. BUT we didn't score a single goal! Yes the team (18 skaters) outplayed the Flyers the entire game....but what did they have to show for it? NOTHING. there's NO excuse for scoring ZERO goals. None.

Anybody who think we win that game against most other NHL teams is kidding themselves.

What are you talking about? We completely dominated and ran into a very strong goaltender. That happens sometimes.

Seems to me that running into a goaltender on a hot night is a pretty good excuse for not scoring any goals. All teams get shutout sometimes. It happens.

Are you saying our team is bad?

What exactly is your point?

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

What? This makes no sense. Mason played the game of his life last night, and is the only reason the flyers escaped with a point. Halak had to make a couple good saves, but outside of that he wasn't tested at all. Isles completely dominated that game and could have scored a few goals at least. Sometimes a goaltender can save a team, just ask any rangers fan.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Huh? What's your major malfunction soldier?

Not to mention we would have found a way to lose that game last year.

I swear you may just have something jammed uncomfortably somewhere where it shouldn't be. Get an MRI please...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad