GDT: #21| Philadelphia Flyers @ New York Islanders | November 24th 7:00 PM | F/SOW 1-0

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

Mkrb3zf.jpg

Preview

All time series record: The Flyers lead 143-105-26 with a 3.0 GFPGA While the Islanders are averaging 3.3 GFPGA. Islanders all time @ home VS Philadelphia are 64-58-15 with a 3.4 GFPGA the
Flyers are averaging 3.0 GFPGA at the NVMC.

John Tavares hasn't had much to celebrate since the New York Islanders made him the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2009, gaining a reputation as the best player on a bad team.

He has plenty to be excited about now.

The Islanders seek their fourth straight victory when they host the Philadelphia Flyers on Monday night.

Tavares led the club in points in each of his first four years before suffering a significant knee injury during the Olympics and sitting out the final 22 games of 2013-14 while New York missed the playoffs for the fourth time in his five seasons.

The Islanders (14-6-0), though, are off to their best 20-game start since opening 14-5 with one tie in 1987-88. They've won eight of nine after Tavares had a goal and an assist -- giving him a team-high 20 points -- in a 4-1 win Saturday that gave New York a sweep of a home-and-home set against Pittsburgh.

"We've got a talented hockey club and everyone is committed to doing the right things," Tavares said. "We just have a confident bunch, we're poised and we're playing very tenacious."

The Islanders have improved to 6-2-0 at home with a three-game winning streak at Nassau Coliseum and are tied with the Penguins atop the Metropolitan Division.

"We're a group that really pulls for each other," said winger Matt Martin, who scored in each game against Pittsburgh. "We came out to see where we're at (compared to the league's top teams). There's still a long ways to go, but it's a good step."

One of the most important additions this offseason was the signing of Jaroslav Halak, who has won six straight starts with a 1.31 goals-against average and two shutouts after making 27 stops Saturday.

He'll likely be in net against the Flyers, who had lost four straight before beating Columbus 4-2 on Saturday. Jakub Voracek and Claude Giroux had two assists apiece for Philadelphia (8-9-2), which will play seven of its next eight on the road.

The Flyers are 2-6-0 and have lost four straight away from home.

"Any time you finish a home game before a big road trip you want to make sure that you leave a little bit confident in your game," Giroux said. "It was one of our best games in the past five, six games."

The victory came three nights after general manager Ron Hextall entered the locker room following a 2-0 road loss to the New York Rangers and could be heard shouting at the team through closed doors.

"Any time your GM calls out every single player on the team, it's going to light a fire under your butt," said Wayne Simmonds, who scored his eighth goal. "We had a good response."

Voracek is hoping the Flyers can build off the win as they hit the road. Their only home game between now and Dec. 11 is Friday against the Rangers.

"It's going to be a very tough schedule," Voracek said. "We were very good picking up some points on the road (last season). Hopefully we're going to do it this year."

Steve Mason made 20 saves against the Blue Jackets and is 4-2-0 with a 2.20 GAA in his last six. He allowed four goals through 34 minutes before being pulled the last time he faced the Islanders on Jan. 18, though the Flyers rallied for a 6-4 win.

New York ended a four-game losing streak to Philadelphia with a 4-3 shootout victory two days later.

Useful links
http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/

http://www.tsn.ca/

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/islanders.htm

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday

http://islanders.nhl.com/

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Not sure if they will win tonight. I thought this game was Tuesday..after a home and home on back to back evenings, I see that they might be a little worn out.

This is yet another test..more of an endurance test than a talent or strategy test.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I hate that team, everything about them.
Players, media, management, fans, announcers....they are all lowlife punks.

Here is a sample of their arrogant entitled fanbase posted on their Board:

"have to beat the Isles......these guys are actually not too bad this year".

Condescending half compliment while craning necks looking up at us in the standings. LOL.

keep the winning coming, no time for a pre-Thanksgving letdown.

LGI

Last edited:

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Good Job MM!

One item to fix is that the total stats do not match the stats under the players jersey numbers. Example: Simmons has 8 goals under his jersey but leads the team with 10.

Looks good though!!!

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Here's a game NYI has to play out of the playbook opposing teams used on them over the years: dump and chase when you don't have obviously smooth zone entries and just pound the Flyer's D. Wait till they make the inevitable mistake, and then pounce. However, don't get players caught up ice with Streit on the ice.

Basically, play a conservative gameplan and let them self-destruct. It's the sort of plan that doesn't work against the Penguins and Rangers (teams that can move the puck up). Also, make sure you get Nielsen out against Giroux, assign Hamonic to stick to Voracek. Make no mistake, Simmonds is, by far, the biggest matchup problem for NYI.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Philly are 2-6-0 away, and Islanders are 6-2-0 at home. If we look at the statistics, we should win this game.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
This feels like a total let down game but their defense is so disgustingly bad that if we lose to them I might spiral into depression. Our forwards should eat them & Mason up.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
What are you guys so worried about? Look at the freaking D. This team is going to do some serious damage tonight.

I get that this could be an emotional letdown situation but , all in all, this is a game that they should win based on the talent alone.

So 4-1 Flyers.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Busy week for the team. 4 games in 7 days with back to backs for the second time in two weekends. AND all divisional games to boot. I would love to see them win them all, but if they must drop one, tonight would be the optimal game with the Flyers 10 points behind and sub-.500.

But a win would still be great to see after missing both games this weekend!

burana800

Dec 5, 2010
Finland
Have a bad feeling about this. We have played awfully lot lately and we are 8-2-0 in our last 10 games. Can't win em all. However... that D of Phillys... I say 5-2 Isles.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
We should win this game. I just can't believe going 9-2 in our last 11, just too good to be true. Being bad for so long has definitely had its effect lol.

Who knows. But I agree with the strategy of KISS, cycle, and just let them make mistakes.

Edit: for as bad as they are supposed to be, they only have a -3 goal differential... thats definitely not horrible.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
The Flyers are one of those really bad Corsi/Fenwick type teams (shockingly, they employ Andrew MacDonald!) that we should have a serious advantage against.

Yet us playing 3 games in 4 days may equalize that to an extent. Especially after coming off the elation of bashing the Pens on back to back nights, this has letdown opportunity written all over it.

I'll be really impressed with the fortitude and focus of the team if we come out and take it to these guys tonight. But I'm really expecting a dog fight.

Isles 4-3

MissingTeeth

Jan 12, 2014
Freeport, L.I.
Headed to the game tonight. Donated blood during the red cross blood drive, and received 2 free tixs. Went to the box office earlier thinking they were going to give me upper level last row, ended up with sec 205 mid level!

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Keys are to stay out of the box, which the Isles have done well all year. Very disciplined, physical play and with great speed, especially in transition. They are deadly good and hopefully will roll over the Flyers (for a change). This team acts like it's got a lot to prove - let's keep it going!

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I guess I haven't watched many Flyers games this year. When did Del Zotto start playing Forward? Has he been productive or is he a turnover machine upfront as well?

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
lol one of their pairings is MDZ and AMac......

I'd almost feel sorry if I didn't hate their team so much.

5-2 win in convincing fashion.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
lol one of their pairings is MDZ and AMac......

I'd almost feel sorry if I didn't hate their team so much.

5-2 win in convincing fashion.

I hope you're right. Thinking about going tonight. I feel like we need to be there to support the team.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I guess I haven't watched many Flyers games this year. When did Del Zotto start playing Forward? Has he been productive or is he a turnover machine upfront as well?

I watch them a lot (rooting for them to lose) when the Isles are not playing. Sometimes I record their games because I love to see them suffer when they lose. I get all their broadcasts home and away because I live just outside of Philly (south Jersey 'burbs).

Mark Streit is by far their best defenseman, and is not as shakes when he was in his last two years with us. But he is no great defender. Coburn is next but he has really regressed in his game. Then the garbage: Del Zotto, AMac, Luke Schenn, Coliacovo, Nic Shultz, Nic Grossmann oh my!! Either slow and sloppy of fast and sloppy, take your choice.

They will battle hard, if not the whole game then at the very end if you let them stay close. Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek are really the only line that have high skill set. Their power play has been successful because of mainly Streit.

This is a division game and the sales need to stamp them down.
I think that we know the importance of every divisional game and as someone said, we have yet to play our best, most consistent hockey.
I look forward to the Isles playing a disciplined mistake free game that grinds their opponents down and forces mistakes.
This team can do that, and I look forward to them staring it tonight.

Isles 4-2.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
They better come out with their A game. I remember quite a few times when the Isles were in their shoes, the Isles were able to produce a win occasionally against better teams. No team should be taken for granted. They have to play these guys hard and until the game is clearly in their grasp they can let up a little. No purpose in winning against the Lightning and Pens if you are going to lose to a team much lower in the standings. There are a lot of dangerous players on that team. They better be ready. What I see in games against lesser opponents the play tends to be more discombobulated and disorganized so you don't know what to expect. So the Islanders have to be ready for anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad