WJC: 2025 Team Canada Roster Talk

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
How long did they actually play in the NCAA though? It is not as if they were developed long term in that system.
Now you’re talking about development. That wasn’t your point though. Your point was that guys play in the NCAA cuz they’re scared to play in the CHL. So Celebrini would fall into that category.

it’s a silly point. You can’t be taken seriously.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
How long did they actually play in the NCAA though? It is not as if they were developed long term in that system.
Any WJC player (from any country) from the NCAA is only going to have been playing there for that season and maybe the one before. Most NCAA players don't even begin playing in the NCAA until they've played out their junior years (aged out of eligibility for the tournament) but top prospects jump in at 18.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I've seen a couple of rosters not have Heidt on them - also saw that from Pronman. For those of you who wouldn't have Heidt on your roster next year, why? I am curious more from a Wild fan perspective than I am in terms of arguing one way or another.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Now you’re talking about development. That wasn’t your point though. Your point was that guys play in the NCAA cuz they’re scared to play in the CHL. So Celebrini would fall into that category.

it’s a silly point. You can’t be taken seriously.
WTF are you talking about? My point is that they are in the NCAA for too short a time to have much impact on their development and nothing more.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
WTF are you talking about? My point is that they are in the NCAA for too short a time to have much impact on their development and nothing more.
Sorry. Responded to you instead of the guy who said ncaa kids were there cuz they’re afraid to play in the CHL.

Reactions: TMLLFC

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Sorry. Responded to you instead of the guy who said ncaa kids were there cuz they’re afraid to play in the CHL.
No problem....any kid playing at this level has more than enough courage...some kids want to get a free education in an excellent hockey program and some want to devote everything to hockey for now....everyone has a different path....

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
I've seen a couple of rosters not have Heidt on them - also saw that from Pronman. For those of you who wouldn't have Heidt on your roster next year, why? I am curious more from a Wild fan perspective than I am in terms of arguing one way or another.
Same people that supported Hockey Canada's decisions to take 4th line grinders and plugs during the last tournament. Heidt absolutely belongs on Canada and he’ll be on the team in 2025.

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Nadeau better be on this team next year
So it begins 60 different fanbases saying their guy should be on a 20ish man team roster.

I mean I like Nadeau but there are a lot of players that Canada can pick and even a B team that would do well in the tournament.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
So it begins 60 different fanbases saying their guy should be on a 20ish man team roster.

I mean I like Nadeau but there are a lot of players that Canada can pick and even a B team that would do well in the tournament.
Canada looks strong, but USA will still retain a good number of players from this year’s roster. Sweden will heavily regress. Czechia looks strong. I say Canada and the USA go in as co-favourites.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Canada looks strong, but USA will still retain a good number of players from this year’s roster. Sweden will heavily regress. Czechia looks strong. I say Canada and the USA go in as co-favourites.
I think Seden will be okay next year with their Big 3 defenders and forward group around Otto Stenberg.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think Seden will be okay next year with their Big 3 defenders and forward group around Otto Stenberg.
Sweden has a good group of 05s, but generally needs a team of combined 18 and 19 year olds every year, and their 06s are very weak. So they will need some players to step it up.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Sweden has a good group of 05s, but generally needs a team of combined 18 and 19 year olds every year, and their 06s are very weak. So they will need some players to step it up.
I'm not concerned that back end will be their strength and the Swedes can player better as a group than the sum of their parts most of the time which was the opposite of Team Canada this year but it happens.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
HC will make dumb choices but early far out look at what I'm hoping it looks like...

Heidt-Yager-Wood
Rehkopf-Catton-Cowan
Cristall-Ritchie-Barlow
McKenna-Lindstrom-Basha
Gauthier/Lind

Dickinson-Yakemchuk
Molendyk-Bonk
Price-Parekh
Dragicevic/Elick

Bjarnason
Ratzlaff
Ravensbergen

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
HC will make dumb choices but early far out look at what I'm hoping it looks like...

Heidt-Yager-Wood
Rehkopf-Catton-Cowan
Cristall-Ritchie-Barlow
McKenna-Lindstrom-Basha
Gauthier/Lind

Dickinson-Yakemchuk
Molendyk-Bonk
Price-Parekh
Dragicevic/Elick

Bjarnason
Ratzlaff
Ravensbergen
I'd hazard to guess one of Ryerson Leenders or Carter George is going to push for one of those goalie spots next year.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
We'll probably never see a run like the one Canada had from 2005-2009, with 5 straight gold medals. Those teams included Crosby, Toews and Tavares.

Since 2010, USA and Canada are tied with most gold medals at 5. We've been lucky to win when we have generational talents McDavid (2015), Bedard (2022 & 2023). The other couple years were decided by Steenbergen and Akil Thomas late 3rd period goals in 2018 and 2020 respectively.

My prediction for 2025 in Ottawa is another team in the field will win, not Canada. That's based on the talent I see available for Canada's roster in 11 months from now.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Around the time of the WJC this year, there were some reporters who said it has more to do i with off ice issues with Heidt. I think Pronman or Wheeler mightve been the ones talking about it. Its more of an off ice black balling than an on ice ability thing with him
Andrew Gibson better be on this team lol

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cristall-Celebrini-Rehkopf
Wood-Yager-Nadeau
Barlow-Ritchie-Catton
Cowan-Lindstrom-Martone
McKenna

Molendyk-Bonk
Dickinson-Parekh
Price-Yakemchuk
Gibson

Ratzlaff
Cloutier
Bjarnason

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Cristall-Celebrini-Rehkopf
Wood-Yager-Nadeau
Barlow-Ritchie-Catton
Cowan-Lindstrom-Martone
McKenna

Molendyk-Bonk
Dickinson-Parekh
Price-Yakemchuk
Gibson

Ratzlaff
Cloutier
Bjarnason
This is very close to my roster. I suspect Celebrini will be in the NHL, which will open up a spot for Heidt. I can also see Hockey Canada taking Barkey over some of the 06/07s.

I have to imagine there is at least one player from the Q on the team. Cataford or Ethan Gauthier are most likely given their Hockey Canada experience and two way play. Possibly Etienne Morin as well, but there is some risk to his game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad