WJC: 2024 Team Canada Roster Talk - Part 1

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Obviously this was a disappointing tournament and changes need to be made to avoid results like this. There isn't something you can clearly point to though and say that's what caused issues. There are no egregious roster picks - even Allard, the most contentious pick, was fine in the role that he was used in. Losing two defencemen shortly before the tournament, Luneau in particular, was an issue but even subbing them in I don't know that a team that never showed a full 60 minute effort suddenly becomes dominant. Letang used Minten stupidly, but misusing one player didn't make the scoring forwards in general fail to perform. Rousseau was fine at best but he didn't cost the team any games, not that he was going to steal one either. His selection as the unquestioned starter points to the much bigger issue of goaltender development in Canada.

There are a few things that were done this year that Hockey Canada should drop. The trend has increasingly been that the camp is almost a formality and lots of players don't play in the games - make a competitive camp, not to the point where it is the sole deciding factor for the team but one where it is an actual camp where players might face adversity and something like chemistry might start to form. Canadian teams tend to lack cohesion in these tournaments early on and a competitive camp would help. Letang made a point of boasting about how they let the players use social media this year, and while I don't think that the team's issues stem from that I do think that keeping them away from the masses ripping them online is a wise approach. The team gave Rousseau the Price treatment as the anointed starter who got every game and essentially all the pre-tournament reps - that was a mistake even if Rousseau was not the reason that the team lost. See what you have unless you have an absolute superstar in net. The team should also stop with not bringing a full group of 25 when the tournament is in Europe. It doesn't matter that it leaves a CHL team without a player for a few weeks - the goal is to win this tournament, and it doesn't help to have players flying in late across several time zones. I don't believe that Hockey Canada lacks the funds to fly players out for a summer camp in Calgary either, so that practice should resume. With no summer camp, no super series, and these small camps with loads of locks from the start the team seems to just exist in Hockey Canada's mind and they hope that what happens on the ice later on works out and justifies their assumptions. I don't think that any of these issues alone caused the failure of this tournament at all, but small mistakes can build up and cause problems.

This team ultimately just never played a full game of impressive hockey. They should have beaten the Czechs, not resoundingly so though, but it looked like a clear situation where they would take a beating in the semi-finals. The only goal is to win so of course the tournament was a disappointment but that doesn't mean it was a total waste. They can take a look at what can be altered or improved before the 2025 tournament. I assume that Minten and Poitras will take the most heat of the players. Minten wasn't especially good but it wasn't his fault that he was put in a position he was poorly suited to - the coaching staff let him down by utilizing him like he was an elite offensive player for this level. Poitras will inevitably be ripped since he came from the NHL, and while he was far from dominating he was still a worthy addition to the team and it is not reasonable to expect a single marginal NHLer to come in and carry a struggling team. He was fine, and if he played the exact same way on a team that was more cohesive he would have likely ended up with a perfectly respectable point total. The team ended up roughly where it deserved to based on on-ice performance so there is nothing to do other than hope that lessons were learned.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
100% I agree with that.

I am just talking about the lack of quality from the other teams in the tournament when people claim they are good, A lot of mediocrity on Sweden and especially the US.
Really?

The US team probably sees half the squad make the NHL in the next few seasons.

Not as familiar with Sweden's roster but they too have several bonafide future NHLers.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Really?

The US team probably sees half the squad make the NHL in the next few seasons.

Not as familiar with Sweden's roster but they too have several bonafide future NHLers.

There is not a single player on the US team that I would be excited about if the Flames added them and we desperately need young talent.

They will likely play in the NHL because NHL teams add bad palyers all the time but not impressive.

The Swedish team does have more talent for sure at the top of the team but overall meh.

Obviously this was a disappointing tournament and changes need to be made to avoid results like this. There isn't something you can clearly point to though and say that's what caused issues. There are no egregious roster picks - even Allard, the most contentious pick, was fine in the role that he was used in. Losing two defencemen shortly before the tournament, Luneau in particular, was an issue but even subbing them in I don't know that a team that never showed a full 60 minute effort suddenly becomes dominant. Letang used Minten stupidly, but misusing one player didn't make the scoring forwards in general fail to perform. Rousseau was fine at best but he didn't cost the team any games, not that he was going to steal one either. His selection as the unquestioned starter points to the much bigger issue of goaltender development in Canada.

I think questions need to be asked about why Heidt and Cristall were left off when it was clear even before the tournament skill was an issue.

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
There is not a single player on the US team that I would be excited about if the Flames added them and we desperately need young talent.

They will likely play in the NHL because NHL teams add bad palyers all the time but not impressive.

The Swedish team does have more talent for sure at the top of the team but overall meh.

I think questions need to be asked about why Heidt and Cristall were left off when it was clear even before the tournament skill was an issue.
Take this with a grain of salt but I know a guy who scouts the WHL in sask and he told me there are character concerns with Heidt. Might also explain why he fell in the draft too.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Take this with a grain of salt but I know a guy who scouts the WHL in sask and he told me there are character concerns with Heidt. Might also explain why he fell in the draft too.

Ok I did not know that or hear it.

Still could have added Cristall though.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
It has nothing to do with being a "tough guy" and everything to do with this tournament being pointless now.
Pointless for YOU.

You are stomping your feet and taking your puck home. So leave it is so bad.

Yes, Canada underwhelmed. It happens once a decade. There are great prospects on other teams still worth watching for fans of hockey's future. Like most people on this site.

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015

There are a few things that were done this year that Hockey Canada should drop. The trend has increasingly been that the camp is almost a formality and lots of players don't play in the games - make a competitive camp, not to the point where it is the sole deciding factor for the team but one where it is an actual camp where players might face adversity and something like chemistry might start to form. Canadian teams tend to lack cohesion in these tournaments early on and a competitive camp would help. Letang made a point of boasting about how they let the players use social media this year, and while I don't think that the team's issues stem from that I do think that keeping them away from the masses ripping them online is a wise approach. The team gave Rousseau the Price treatment as the anointed starter who got every game and essentially all the pre-tournament reps - that was a mistake even if Rousseau was not the reason that the team lost. See what you have unless you have an absolute superstar in net. The team should also stop with not bringing a full group of 25 when the tournament is in Europe. It doesn't matter that it leaves a CHL team without a player for a few weeks - the goal is to win this tournament, and it doesn't help to have players flying in late across several time zones. I don't believe that Hockey Canada lacks the funds to fly players out for a summer camp in Calgary either, so that practice should resume. With no summer camp, no super series, and these small camps with loads of locks from the start the team seems to just exist in Hockey Canada's mind and they hope that what happens on the ice later on works out and justifies their assumptions. I don't think that any of these issues alone caused the failure of this tournament at all, but small mistakes can build up and cause problems.

This team ultimately just never played a full game of impressive hockey. They should have beaten the Czechs, not resoundingly so though, but it looked like a clear situation where they would take a beating in the semi-finals. The only goal is to win so of course the tournament was a disappointment but that doesn't mean it was a total waste. They can take a look at what can be altered or improved before the 2025 tournament. I assume that Minten and Poitras will take the most heat of the players. Minten wasn't especially good but it wasn't his fault that he was put in a position he was poorly suited to - the coaching staff let him down by utilizing him like he was an elite offensive player for this level. Poitras will inevitably be ripped since he came from the NHL, and while he was far from dominating he was still a worthy addition to the team and it is not reasonable to expect a single marginal NHLer to come in and carry a struggling team. He was fine, and if he played the exact same way on a team that was more cohesive he would have likely ended up with a perfectly respectable point total. The team ended up roughly where it deserved to based on on-ice performance so there is nothing to do other than hope that lessons were learned.
Very well said. To add to this as well, I don’t believe that the talent pool (especially at forward) was incredible either. A lot of people are pointing to some of the roster decisions (like leaving Nadeau, Heidt, Cristall) but I don’t believe that players like this would’ve moved the needle as they’re redundant. I feel like next years team will have similar issues at forward unless Lindstrom and Catton can deliver

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Feels like Team Canada picked a team that would have the best chance against the US and assumed they'd get to the Gold Medal game by being Team Canada.

Which I get, but the coaching decisions were horrible.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
100% I agree with that.

I am just talking about the lack of quality from the other teams in the tournament when people claim they are good, A lot of mediocrity on Sweden and especially the US.
I always wonder where people come up with stuff like this.

Sure it was a disappointment today but that's what happens in a one off game and Canada had injuries and less time to mesh as a team,

I genuinely am unclear what one could have liked about Lamoureaux's game. Thought he was the 2nd worst D on the roster and was a major reason as to why this team couldn't get results.

The entire roster seemed to be built with a 200 ft mindset from the D on out. We chose size and checkers over skill and game sense.
Dumais and Savoie are hardly checkers Canada just had alot of missed chances that missed, got blocked ect,,,, way too much navel gazing going on IMO.

Reactions: majormajor

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Outside of the breakaway goal, how were all the goals scored? Weird bounces and guys getting infront of the net.

Canadas top two lines spent half the time cycling the zone and looking for the perfect play, Czech just shoot. It’s on the coaching. Very little change throughout the tournament and the flaws stayed the same.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Boston is 2nd in the NHL and Poitras was playing at a ~0.5ppg pace so he absolutely would have made the team. Never mind he was one of the few guys to actually get more than 3pts in the tournament.

He definitely didn’t play up to expectations though, which for some reason most NHL players sent back usually do not.

NHL game and the junior game are so different. The timing, expectations, and trust in your teammates are on a completely different level. It's surprisingly difficult to get used to the NHL pace and efficiency and then play with a bunch of juniors.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Pointless for YOU.

You are stomping your feet and taking your puck home. So leave it is so bad.

Yes, Canada underwhelmed. It happens once a decade. There are great prospects on other teams still worth watching for fans of hockey's future. Like most people on this site.

Of course pointless for me, how can I determine what is pointless for you?

But I would say there is no reason to watch the garbage teams that are left. Nothing of interest to see which undeserving team “wins.”

I always wonder where people come up with stuff like this.

From watching hockey.

Oh ok you’re not being serious. Here’s your reaction:

*wow*

Bring 100% serious nothing of interest on that dog shit US team.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Of course pointless for me, how can I determine what is pointless for you?

But I would say there is no reason to watch the garbage teams that are left. Nothing of interest to see which undeserving team “wins.”

From watching hockey.

Bring 100% serious nothing of interest on that dog shit US team.
That is a big ok whatever from me and since you aren't interested we at least can look forward to no more comments going forward right?

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
That is a big ok whatever from me and since you aren't interested we at least can look forward to no more comments going forward right?

About individual games, yes. But will still comment when relevant about the tournament overall.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I’m not sure Boston being good and him scoring at close to a .5PPG pace means he would have made their team.

He’s playing with good line-mates. 13 points in 27 games is decent, but it’s completely within the fluky range.

He was 6th in OHL scoring last year. Didn’t hit 100 points. He’s a good prospect that wasn’t NHL ready. He should’ve been sent back. Boston had two top six centers retire, which opened the way for him. Without that, he’s back in the OHL. I think he will also find himself scratched or sent back to the OHL as the NHL season goes on. I don’t think he’s ready, even if his first 27 games aren’t shabby.
Scoring at a .5ppg pace in the NHL at 19 and being 6th in scoring as an 18yo absolutely would have made him a lock for the team this year regardless of NHL experience. He was terrible in terms of expectations, but still better than half the team in the tournament as a whole.

Also he plays with a combo of Trent Frederic, Danton Heinen, Morgan Geekie and JVR… those aren’t exactly stars who prob up your stat line.

NHL game and the junior game are so different. The timing, expectations, and trust in your teammates are on a completely different level. It's surprisingly difficult to get used to the NHL pace and efficiency and then play with a bunch of juniors.
I think a large part of it has to do with the expectation that you’ll dominate because you’re playing at such a lower level and when it doesn’t happen immediately you start doubting yourself and in turn doing too much to try and produce

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

I get you're still in the salty phase after a disappointing loss, but if you wouldn't be excited about the Flames adding anyone from the US team I question your judgement. Either that, or maybe you've been watching the Flames for too long? What Flames prospect is at the Will Smith level?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I get you're still in the salty phase after a disappointing loss, but if you wouldn't be excited about the Flames adding anyone from the US team I question your judgement. Either that, or maybe you've been watching the Flames for too long? What Flames prospect is at the Will Smith level?

Just read his post history and move on.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Like button wasn't enough for this post. Just a great post.

Just read his post history and move on.
Thanks, but I think I got about enough of that in this one page! ;o)

Reactions: therealdeal

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Disappointing result but expected.

The team was rubbish right from the get-go due to the players missing. You add the injuries to their blueline and it was a disaster waiting to happen although I would say this team was still good enough to get to the semis.

In that sense, they disappointed even more than expected.

Celebrini is a superstar prospect though. He will be special as he hits his prime.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
You can point out the depth players that didn't produce but the end of the day the guys that were supposed to carry the load offensively just didn't do it. You could shuffle the deck chairs around with the bottom 6 but Savoie putting up 1 point was never going to lead this team to success. Whole lot of blame to go around and hopefully it's a stronger group with a better coach next year in Ottawa. Coming out as flat as they did in the 1st is a pretty big red flag that the coaching staff didn't have them ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad