WJC: 2024 Team Canada Roster Talk - Part 1

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Add Fantilli, Benson, Wright (still don’t know why he felt too good to go when he’s in the AHL) at forward. Korchinski on defense.

Plus Luneau would have been a guaranteed pick if we're counting injured players too.

Missing six stars (including a generational prospect) is a bit much for any team.

Reactions: uncleben

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Plus Luneau would have been a guaranteed pick if we're counting injured players too.

Missing six stars (including a generational prospect) is a bit much for any team.
Bedard and Fantilli were obvious no shows for over a year. I guess throw in Wright. I think Benson and Korchinski were more unexpected. And then injuries are injuries and suck.

Reactions: Eternal Leaf

Mainiac

May 15, 2021
Credit to the Czechs for executing and good luck the rest of the way. Disappointing result for us although not surprising since the team hasn't looked impressive. Hoping they'd get it together but never happened.

I hope someone measured the dimensions of the Czech net - might explain why those first round picks kept missing it.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
It isn't a take it is the truth
Its comments like this that make me think that maybe the internet was a mistake

Add Fantilli, Benson, Wright (still don’t know why he felt too good to go when he’s in the AHL) at forward. Korchinski on defense.
Maybe he looked at the coach and said “nah”

Would you blame him?

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Great post by JackSlater. Hope the boys are okay, it’s a lot of pressure. I don’t believe they performed their best, but they likely were trying their best, two different things.

Oh well, see you boys in the World Championship thread come March. Let’s go!

FrankieC

Dec 29, 2023
I always wonder where people come up with stuff like this.

Sure it was a disappointment today but that's what happens in a one off game and Canada had injuries and less time to mesh as a team,

Dumais and Savoie are hardly checkers Canada just had alot of missed chances that missed, got blocked ect,,,, way too much navel gazing going on IMO.
And CZ missed a penalty, wiffed on some shots, etc.. every team misses opportunities.
The Canadian teams inability to close was a result of management choosing players for their 200 ft game and size over skill and game sense.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Can someone give me what the possible roster would've looked like if everyone was available or everyone except Bedard?

Add:

Forwards- Bedard, Wright, Fantilli, Benson

Defense- Luneau, Korchinski, Molendyk

That is likely our top pairing in d and a top 4 guy in Molendyk.

Up front there are your top 2 centres who would arguably be the top two centres in the whole tournament and two top 6 wingers. With Fantili being another guy who is likely better than any player in the current tournament.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You can point out the depth players that didn't produce but the end of the day the guys that were supposed to carry the load offensively just didn't do it. You could shuffle the deck chairs around with the bottom 6 but Savoie putting up 1 point was never going to lead this team to success. Whole lot of blame to go around and hopefully it's a stronger group with a better coach next year in Ottawa. Coming out as flat as they did in the 1st is a pretty big red flag that the coaching staff didn't have them ready.
Were they hampered by bad line combinations?

Reactions: All the Answers

MrCreamm

Nov 16, 2023
Rousseau what a rough game… 2 bad goals, and the deflection is just one a dialed in goalie maybe still has a chance at… He seemed to get caught out of position a fair bit this tourney, which led to some cool saves but still, seemed like he was reacting slightly late and not reading rebounds or even 2v1s.

Letangs line juggling and player usage was questionable. Savoie, really underperformed, couldn’t hit the net at all. Geekie seemed pretty good imo although still wanted more from him , Poitras had some good possession but he never took over a game and was underwhelming. Poitras always looked like he was trying to do too much and wanted to be that possible MVP, but it just led to sub-optimal decision making, whereas it seemed like Geekie just wanted to make an impact anyway possible. Celebrini by far the best player for Canada, maybe even the tournament to this point with how impressive he was even when not scoring, and Letang didn’t use him much in the 2nd or 3rd…. Dumais was also not very good considering how he’s lighting up the Q. I think Rehkopf shoulda been utilized more, and the selection of Allard and Minten was just too role heavy imo, Minten ended up being decent but shoulda been on the 3rd line at most. We knew when they took Allard, Minten over Heidt, Firkus, Cristall that it may bite them in the back if they don’t get scoring… which they didn’t. Some of these guys get a pass or excuse because they're not playing their usual top 6 role, like they would in any other junior league, as it's not possible for them to all get the same opportunity.

Defensively I think Mateychuk and Lamoureux were a good pairing, obviously still some mistakes, but I think that was more due to chemistry and Letangs systems.... Furlong seemed ok, Donovan was getting limited minutes, Warren got exposed so hard vs the Czechs, and can't say I noticed Bonk and Nelson too much. Think this team lost it's 2nd pairing which woulda been good, with Molendyk and Luneau, as both are mobile and have pretty good offensive numbers, Luneau being QMJHL DOY. I think Furlong and Bonk woulda been a decent 3rd pair, but because the injuries their top 4 play wasn't great.

Although this wasn't a super stacked roster and guaranteed gold medal winner/contender, I still think it's an underperformance not to get a bronze with this roster. I'm aware other national teams brought similar/better rosters, but still I think going home without a medal is an underachievement, even if you consider this a weaker squad. Don't understand why HC chose Letang, can't say I know their process they have in place, but there definitely isn't anything that stands out about his coaching career. Letang really annoyed me with his line juggling, using only Rousseau, trying to roll 4 lines as if they can all score on their own, and I don't think he did a good job of building team chemistry, and the tactics of his seemed to be exposed, and I don't think that's purely a Canadian "skill issue". I feel like rolling 4 lines who can all score seems like a great idea, but often in practice it fails unless you have overwhelming skill, feels like my Flames where often coaching staff tried to create 3 scoring lines and it just results in three decent lines but no game breaking lines that can take over.

I'm still optimistic about next year though, perhaps some of that is blind loyalty, but next year looks like it has a better d-core with Yakemchuk, Dickinson, maaaybe Parekh, Dragicevic as options. And next years offence has quite a few players who might be able to create some offence, Barlow, Ritchie, Cristall, Heidt, Nadeau, Lardis etc.. And the 2023 draft guys will have another year to return. As for goaltending, I don't know enough, since Canada doesn't have many guys who are jumping off the page to get a start but I'm sure some 19/20 year old goalie will come in and be good enough that if Canada plays to its abilities can win them a medal. Better luck next year.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I'm sure it's already been discussed but why wasn't Shane Wright in the tournament?

MrCreamm

Nov 16, 2023
I'm sure it's already been discussed but why wasn't Shane Wright in the tournament?
He's in the AHL and I don't think the Kraken believed he would get much out of the tournament as he'd be returning as a ~20 year old, who already won gold and captained the team to the victory. I think he woulda been Canadas best forward, or at least challenge Celebrini, even though some aren't as bullish on him as I am I don't see why he wouldn't do well. I can see why the Kraken think why bother sending him to the WJC when he's playing a top 6 role in the AHL and really the only thing he would have to prove is that he could carry Canada to a WJC which he didn't do last year, although he was good in some key moments. Especially if he got injured then missed time. Hockey Canada probably also doesn't mind mixing in new players who can be more prepared for next year if they return.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's in the AHL and I don't think the Kraken believed he would get much out of the tournament as he'd be returning as a ~20 year old, who already won gold and captained the team to the victory. I think he woulda been Canadas best forward, or at least challenge Celebrini, even though some aren't as bullish on him as I am I don't see why he wouldn't do well. I can see why the Kraken think why bother sending him to the WJC when he's playing a top 6 role in the AHL and really the only thing he would have to prove is that he could carry Canada to a WJC which he didn't do last year, although he was good in some key moments. Especially if he got injured then missed time. Hockey Canada probably also doesn't mind mixing in new players who can be more prepared for next year if they return.

It’s kind of like when someone is a member of the cast of SNL for too long.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
There is not a single player on the US team that I would be excited about if the Flames added them and we desperately need young talent.

They will likely play in the NHL because NHL teams add bad palyers all the time but not impressive.

The Swedish team does have more talent for sure at the top of the team but overall meh.

I think questions need to be asked about why Heidt and Cristall were left off when it was clear even before the tournament skill was an issue.
Thanks for the laugh 😂

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
In his last 10 GP, he has 2 G, 1A and is -8.

Why he couldn’t go and lead the way is beyond fascinating to me. Been there done that, sure…but this is a chance to represent your country? You’d have to think Seattle at least included him in the decision.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
In his last 10 GP, he has 2 G, 1A and is -8.

Why he couldn’t go and lead the way is beyond fascinating to me. Been there done that, sure…but this is a chance to represent your country? You’d have to think Seattle at least included him in the decision.
It was probably his decision but Francis protected the player by making it seem like an organization decision.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Next time take the talented players over the fourth line grinders and useless defensemen. Minten was named captain and he barely looked like he belonged on the team and he got every offensive opportunity despite being inept in that spot.

Frustrating decision making to say the least.
100%. People were saying how some of the plugs on the team belonged on Canada over guys like Cristall, Nadeau, and Heidt. I’d like to hear them chime in now.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
They probably should and deserve to be in the semis. But I'm not really that surprised. By Team Canada standards, this was a very weak team Canada. They were never going to and should not have been expected to win this year's tournament. I knew that going in.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
<snip...>

Letangs line juggling and player usage was questionable. Savoie, really underperformed, couldn’t hit the net at all. Geekie seemed pretty good imo although still wanted more from him , Poitras had some good possession but he never took over a game and was underwhelming. Poitras always looked like he was trying to do too much and wanted to be that possible MVP, but it just led to sub-optimal decision making, whereas it seemed like Geekie just wanted to make an impact anyway possible. Celebrini by far the best player for Canada, maybe even the tournament to this point with how impressive he was even when not scoring, and Letang didn’t use him much in the 2nd or 3rd…. Dumais was also not very good considering how he’s lighting up the Q. I think Rehkopf shoulda been utilized more, and the selection of Allard and Minten was just too role heavy imo, Minten ended up being decent but shoulda been on the 3rd line at most. We knew when they took Allard, Minten over Heidt, Firkus, Cristall that it may bite them in the back if they don’t get scoring… which they didn’t. Some of these guys get a pass or excuse because they're not playing their usual top 6 role, like they would in any other junior league, as it's not possible for them to all get the same opportunity.
<snip...>
Letang really annoyed me with his line juggling, using only Rousseau, trying to roll 4 lines as if they can all score on their own, and I don't think he did a good job of building team chemistry, and the tactics of his seemed to be exposed, and I don't think that's purely a Canadian "skill issue". I feel like rolling 4 lines who can all score seems like a great idea, but often in practice it fails unless you have overwhelming skill, feels like my Flames where often coaching staff tried to create 3 scoring lines and it just results in three decent lines but no game breaking lines that can take over.

<snip...>
Hockey Canada learned some lessons from Slovakia in the 90s and 2000s that Letang seems to have forgotten. Namely, you put talent with talent. You don't seed each line with a player that can play puck-possession at a high tempo, their impact is diffused that way. Surround talent with talent. The 3rd and 4th line can play at pace with their own tactics.

Reactions: Chainshot

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's a bit ridiculous that Canada didn't fly out its injury replacements to Sweden and had to fly in a kid last minute before a game. All for the sake of not having them miss a few games with their CHL team. That's amateur hour stuff. These leagues have like 16 teams make the postseason out of 18 (QMJHL), 20 (OHL) or 22 (WHL) total teams, so only really horrible teams that don't even want to win (trade their 19 year olds, etc.) miss the postseason. A kid missing a few games in the regular season doesn't matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00