WJC: 2024 Team Canada Roster Talk - Part 1

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Dumais is so wasteful, seems to make a great play for 90% and when it comes to the last move/decision/shot he totally flubs it. Not sure if that makes sense or gets across what I am saying but he seems to get so close to making a play and does a lot well but then effs it up completely.
The entire team passes the puck at such strange times. Its like they think its illegal to score without a certain number of passes.

Even 31 goal scorer Rehkopft was stricken with this last night. Nothing wrong with shooting the puck at the goalies pads and looking for a rebound.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Dumais is so wasteful, seems to make a great play for 90% and when it comes to the last move/decision/shot he totally flubs it. Not sure if that makes sense or gets across what I am saying but he seems to get so close to making a play and does a lot well but then effs it up completely.

I see the same thing, but that's not a feature of Dumais as a player and it has nothing to do with the quality of competition. He looked good in NHL camp vs NHLers. He just looks really nervous to me right now.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I feel like you could probably go down a list of forwards for Canada where that would be true so far in this tournament. A lot of guys have been getting pucks in dangerous areas and just not finding the finished product.
Canadian players need to hit the net with their shots and the goals will go in. Way too many shots simply miss the net.

Last edited:

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
You are saying you like the intention of the hit, not the actual hit our the outcome!

That hit in the SHL would have resulted in 4+ games suspension, not a chance he would get away with just a game misconduct. I consider the IIHFs decision to not even go for 1 game suspension borderline absurd. Canadian fans should bow down to the IIHF and show gratitude for them being kind to Geekie!

That is why the SHL is a pathetic joke of a league that nobody with any sense cares about or takes seriously.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
We have been talking about this on HFCBJ, it is almost as if he is playing nervous/scared.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Well we had a good 3rd against the Americans in the pre tournament but we haven't gotten close to that level since. Which makes me worry that the Americans may have just let up. Even against the Finns the score was 5 to 2 but two of those goals were empty netters and one bounced off Danielson and in.
It just seems like nobodies' really that confident and comfortable other than Celebrini. I thought Dumais and Poitras were much better against the Germans than before so maybe they're coming around. I have to imagine constantly flying new guys in is also messing with the chemistry and not allowing the team to be comfortable.
I could see us winning but I could also see us losing. The Czechs played the Americans hard and some may have revenge on their minds. Hoping for a win

Reactions: Czechboy

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Other than the fact that Nazar actually stopped a player advancing with the puck while Geekie hit a dude going backwards into his own zone without the puck. And that its impossible to see where the main contact is in the Nazar hit while its 100% that Geekies was the head. So not comparable incidents other than both being big hits.
Any smidgen of credibility that you had in any of your arguments about the hit completely disintegrated with this. You seriously believe he was defying the laws of physics and was going backwards. Amazing.

Reactions: All the Answers

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Embarrassing that we are down 2-0 to a much, much weaker Czech team, once again the coaching comes through to make this Canadian team that should pump the Czech's by 10 goals much worse than it is.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Czechs have a stronger team on paper than us this year

No they don't.

They are dogshit, no quality at all on that team. This is a weaker team than normal for Canada but it is lightyears better than the Czech team.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
I don't watch the OHL or QMJHL but do they miss the net as often as Canada does now?

In the WHL it is obviously worse than the NHL but not nearly this bad.

LOL

Brutal

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
And that ends what was a pathetic tournament for Canada and pathetic tournament overall.

Deserved???

LOL the Czech were terrible and deserved absolutely nothing.

Reactions: wishywashy19

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Next time take the talented players over the fourth line grinders and useless defensemen. Minten was named captain and he barely looked like he belonged on the team and he got every offensive opportunity despite being inept in that spot.

Frustrating decision making to say the least.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Lots of disappointing showings for Canada this year. Minten, Dumais, Savoie, Poitras, Geekie, and Yager were absolute no shows given their usage and expectations. It also comes back to coaching because they never even tried to really change it up.

Celebrini, the Beck, Danielson, Allard line and Lameroux/Mateychuk are the only guys who played at a high level worth a damn. Coaching was extremely questionable as well.

Oh well, not gonna win them all but thats a tough way to go out

Reactions: wishywashy19

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
And that ends what was a pathetic tournament for Canada and pathetic tournament overall.

Deserved???

LOL the Czech were terrible and deserved absolutely nothing.
Life goes on, MM. In a day or 2, you won't even remember this game. Again, it's just hockey.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Here's what I don't get. If your 4th line is one of your best lines game in and game out, why don't you play them like they're more than a 4th line? Beck and Danielson were good all tourney long, generated a ton of pressure and offense, but they were rarely used that way. Meanwhile, guys like Geekie, Savoie, and Poitras just got sent out there over and over and didn't do much of anything.

Just felt like Letang was obsessed with where players "deserved" to line up, and paid little attention to how they were actually doing on the ice

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Life goes on, MM. In a day or 2, you won't even remember this game. Again, it's just hockey.

Sure but the WJHC is usually a fun way to spend the holidays so it sucks that this tournament was such a waste of time and ends with a totally undserving winner.

I usually like to watch sports to see good games and excellence not complete dog shit like we have seen this tournament.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The players weren't great but this loss is 100% on the coaching staff.
The coaching staff didn't miss the net all game.

Besides, it's NO one fault. It's life.

We could just as easily have lost the last 2 years but we got lucky - especially against the Finns. Today, we got UN-lucky. It is what it is.

Sure but the WJHC is usually a fun way to spend the holidays so it sucks that this tournament was such a waste of time and ends with a totally undserving winner.

I usually like to watch sports to see good games and excellence not complete dog shit like we have seen this tournament.
I'm sure you had fun watching. Just enjoy the rest of the tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad