WJC: 2024 Team Canada Roster Talk - Part 1

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
We will not lack motivation in this game. By the semis it should be the top four teams anyway. No easy games at this point.
Good point. At the end of the day, it might be Canada, USA, Sweden and Finland in the Final 4.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Canada disappointing early. Canadian fans grumbling. Canada starts to dominate when the games actually matter, even with "weak" teams. Canada goes on to win Gold. Canadian fans all agree not to doubt their team next year. Rinse and repeat.

You guys worry way too much.

Good luck in the elimination games, and Happy New Year to all.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Canada disappointing early. Canadian fans grumbling. Canada starts to dominate when the games actually matter, even with "weak" teams. Canada goes on to win Gold. Canadian fans all agree not to doubt their team next year. Rinse and repeat.

You guys worry way too much.

Good luck in the elimination games, and Happy New Year to all.
You got that right. :thumbu: It's scary/sad how predictable we are.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Lots of Minten hate in here. He was named captain for a reason. Unfortunately it’s tough when you have to live up to the expectations and eyes of two maple leafs on your sweater.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Good to hear that the moronic IIHF isn't going to double down on its already terrible decision.

The organization is still an absolute joke that should have no role in hockey but at least we are seeing some small positive changes with them.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Good to hear that the moronic IIHF isn't going to double down on its already terrible decision.

The organization is still an absolute joke that should have no role in hockey but at least we are seeing some small positive changes with them.
I seem to be the exception on this one. Geekie's hit, assuming that's what you are referring to, was a hit to the head. I thought the penalty fit the crime, MM.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
I seem to be the exception on this one. Geekie's hit, assuming that's what you are referring to, was a hit to the head. I thought the penalty fit the crime, MM.

Yes the Geekie hit was 100% fine.

If the IIHF want to claim it was against their stupid rules they need to change those rules.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
You lost me. ?? Help me understand, MM.

Not sure how you are lost. The Geekie hit was 100% fine, should never get a penalty for it at all let alone 5 and a game.

I have heard some people say that it is against the rules according to the IIHF, which we all knows has some terrible rules and as an organization is clueless when it comes to hockey, so if this is one of their stupid rules then the solution is to fix the rule not punish people for clean hits.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I gotta get up at 8:30 tomorrow. That won't be easy. :)

Not sure how you are lost. The Geekie hit was 100% fine, should never get a penalty for it at all let alone 5 and a game.

I have heard some people say that it is against the rules according to the IIHF, which we all knows has some terrible rules and as an organization is clueless when it comes to hockey, so if this is one of their stupid rules then the solution is to fix the rule not punish people for clean hits.
For me, the hit was not fine - Geekie made contact to the head.

Anyway, he's back and we'll both cheer for Canada tomorrow! Thanks for answering.

Reactions: MM917

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Lots of Minten hate in here. He was named captain for a reason. Unfortunately it’s tough when you have to live up to the expectations and eyes of two maple leafs on your sweater.

It isn't hate it is frustration that he is being played way too much and in key situations he isn't suited for.

If he were the 3rd line player with no PP time like he should he likely doesn't get mentioned much at all. But when he is the top ice time guy and playing on the first PP contributing zero offensively and killing plays he is going to be a focus.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I think the Geekie hit would've been fine in the NHL or CHL (as Mike Johnson said) but anyone whos watched IIHF tournaments knew that it was pretty likely he was going to get the gate.

I liked the hit, I thought Geekie was trying to get the boys going and set the tone but it didn't work out.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
@jj cale is M.I.A. since Wednesday.
Turns out he started celebrating EARLY!

1704143321162.png

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I think the Geekie hit would've been fine in the NHL or CHL (as Mike Johnson said) but anyone whos watched IIHF tournaments knew that it was pretty likely he was going to get the gate.

I liked the hit, I thought Geekie was trying to get the boys going and set the tone but it didn't work out.
We often like to rock somebody on the first shift to get the boys pumped, but sometimes the hit just crosses the line and puts us short. I wouldn't change it though. We play on emotion and have to be physical to play our game. Besides. Geekie will now be well rested for this next game! :laugh:

Reactions: Hamilton Bulldogs

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I felt like Dumais and Celebrini looked the best they had looked together all tournament in the 3rd period against Germany. Obviously Celebrini has been producing regardless but they were starting to find each other on seem passes and cycling them. Hopefully they found something, we will know shortly I guess.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Dumais is so wasteful, seems to make a great play for 90% and when it comes to the last move/decision/shot he totally flubs it. Not sure if that makes sense or gets across what I am saying but he seems to get so close to making a play and does a lot well but then effs it up completely.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Dumais is so wasteful, seems to make a great play for 90% and when it comes to the last move/decision/shot he totally flubs it. Not sure if that makes sense or gets across what I am saying but he seems to get so close to making a play and does a lot well but then effs it up completely.
I feel like you could probably go down a list of forwards for Canada where that would be true so far in this tournament. A lot of guys have been getting pucks in dangerous areas and just not finding the finished product.

Reactions: Statsy

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005

You are saying you like the intention of the hit, not the actual hit our the outcome!

That hit in the SHL would have resulted in 4+ games suspension, not a chance he would get away with just a game misconduct. I consider the IIHFs decision to not even go for 1 game suspension borderline absurd. Canadian fans should bow down to the IIHF and show gratitude for them being kind to Geekie!

Reactions: Nowotny

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
You are saying you like the intention of the hit, not the actual hit our the outcome!

That hit in the SHL would have resulted in 4+ games suspension, not a chance he would get away with just a game misconduct. I consider the IIHFs decision to not even go for 1 game suspension borderline absurd. Canadian fans should bow down to the IIHF and show gratitude for them being kind to Geekie!
You’ve been in all these threads calling for long suspensions and essentially saying he shouldn’t be hitting anyone going forward. This isn’t bandy, hockey is a contact sport.

To your point about the SHL, This hit is no different To the Nazar hit on Norén in the pre tournament in which SHL referees were officiating. No penalty on the play. Right call. Clearly the SHL sees things differently from you

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
You’ve been in all these threads calling for long suspensions and essentially saying he shouldn’t be hitting anyone going forward. This isn’t bandy, hockey is a contact sport.

To your point about the SHL, This hit is no different To the Nazar hit on Norén in the pre tournament in which SHL referees were officiating. No penalty on the play. Right call. Clearly the SHL sees things differently from you

Other than the fact that Nazar actually stopped a player advancing with the puck while Geekie hit a dude going backwards into his own zone without the puck. And that its impossible to see where the main contact is in the Nazar hit while its 100% that Geekies was the head. So not comparable incidents other than both being big hits.

Of course he can hit people going forward, not just in the head with imbeciles defending a head to the hit as clean, thats what triggers, if the hit has been condemned for what it was I would not have been that bothered. Some of the tweets from canada defending this hit was disgusting.

I am pretty sure even the NHL had give him additional discipline even when the DOPS is the biggest advocate for dangerous plays!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad