Geekie - Danielson - Wood
Misa

Not a big fan of Firkus or Goyette.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Here’s my first stab at a way-too-early 224 Team Canada WJC roster. I didn’t have a ton of time to research, so I might be far off.

*denotes returning player

YOB - Name - Club Team - Draft Status (Team, Year, Round, Overall)

Forwards (13)
‘04 *Owen Beck (Mississauga, OHL) (MTL, 2022, 2, 33)
‘04 Matthew Savoie (Winnipeg, WHL) (BUF, 2022, 1, 9)
‘04 Conor Geekie (Winnipeg, WHL) (ARZ, 2022, 1, 11)
‘04 Jagger Firkus (Moose Jaw, WHL) (SEA, 2022, 2, 35)
‘04 David Goyette (Sudbury, OHL) (SEA, 2022, 2, 61)
‘04 Jordan Dumais (Halifax, QMJHL) (CBJ, 2022, 3, 96)
‘04 Nate Danielson (Brandon, WHL) (2023 draft eligible)
‘05 Zach Benson (Winnipeg, WHL) (2023 draft eligible)
‘05 Brayden Yager (Moose Jaw, WHL) (2023 draft eligible)
‘05 Riley Heidt (Prince George, WHL) (2023 draft eligible)
‘05 Andrew Cristall (Kelowna, WHL) (2023 draft eligible)
‘05 Matthew Wood (University of Connecticut, NCAA) (2023 draft eligible)
‘05 Tanner Howe (Regina, WHL) (2024 draft eligible)

Defence (7)
‘04 Ty Nelson (North Bay, OHL) (SEA, 2022, 3, 68)
‘04 Denton Mateychuk (Moose Jaw, WHL) (CBJ, 2022, 1, 12)
‘04 *Kevin Korchinski (Seattle, WHL) (CHI, 2022, 1, 7)
‘04 Tristan Luneau (Gatineau, QMJHL) (ANA, 2022, 2, 53)
‘04 Owen Pickering (Swift Current, WHL) (PIT, 2022, 1, 21)
‘05 Lukas Dragicevic (Tri-City, WHL) (2023 draft eligible)
‘05 Cam Allen (Guelph, OHL) (2023 draft eligible)

Goalies (2)
‘05 Carson Bjarnason (Brandon, WHL) (2023 draft eligible)
‘05 Scott Ratzlaff (Seattle, WHL) (2023 draft eligible)

On the surface, seems like a lot of WHL players. Also a much younger roster overall than this year’s Canadian team. I excluded Bedard and Wright obviously. I also believe Fantilli is likely not available next year. That leaves Beck as the only returning forward, and overall a pretty young forward group. Will be interesting to see if Jordan Dumais is available. He is absolutely ripping up the Q right now but he’s a later pick. I’m not sure if he can play AHL next year but if he’s eligible for that he may be playing there. Don’t think he leaps right to the NHL though. Colby Barlow, Ethan Gauthier, Hunter Haight, Matthew Poitras, Calum Ritchie and Jordan Gustafsson were among my final forward cuts here. Definitely an opportunity to make the team older upfront if they want.

Defensively, it will be a lot of 19-year-olds, and Dragicevic has impressed, and is likely a first-round pick this year, so I added him. I tried balancing left and right shots. The seventh spot was a bit tougher but I went with Cam Allen. His stats don’t look great but he’s on a bad team and I believe he’s still expected to go in the first round this year. Plus he was the captain at the Hlinka this past year. Other potential D options include Caden Price, Jordan Tourigny, Oliver Bonk, Noah Warren and Maveric Lamoureux.

Goalies I really had no idea. Looks like it could be a weak spot again (although Milic was good this year). Both guys I took were on the Hlinka team this past year and Bjarnason is ranked among the top goalies in this year’s crop.

This is a team that will be in the medal conversation, as Canada always is, but not sure they'd be favoured to win. They have some high-end talent like Savoie/Benson/Yager/Korchinski, but they're also a bit younger, which can be a pretty big deal at this tournament. I think the Americans will be the favourites next year.

Will be fun to check back in on this next year and see how wrong I am!

Last edited:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I really hope Fantilli is back and whomever drafts him lets him play another year in Michigan. The kid is really, really close but you can tell he needs seasoning. He does everything well, but nothing elite. Another year of playing against men and a chance to win the WJC as a leader would be an investment worth making.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Better be a whl heavy team. Goalies Bjarnason and Ratzlaff. Defense Korchinski, Mateychuk, Pickering, Dragicevic with maybe Price. Forwards Yager, Heidt, Ziemmer, Danielson, Cristall, Benson, Savoie and Geekie.
The Dub is having a good run right now. It worked out this year and I'm more than willing to try it again.

yessir29292

Dec 11, 2021
I’d bet on Ritchie making the team. Not putting up the most points this year but is playing on an awful team, one of the worst rosters in the CHL.

Team Canada type of player. Big, smart, reliable, defensively sound, great shot, and elite on draws. Led Canada in points during the Hilinka, lots of puck luck though.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I really hope the team that drafts Bedard 1st overall somehow decides it's better to let him develop more lol so Canada can get him again, obviously this is a pipe dream.

Reactions: Teaspoon salami

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Here’s my first stab at a way-too-early 224 Team Canada WJC roster. I didn’t have a ton of time to research, so I might be far off.

*denotes returning player

YOB - Name - Club Team - Draft Status (Team, Year, Round, Overall)

Forwards (13)
‘04 *Owen Beck (Mississauga, OHL) (MTL, 2022, 2, 33)
‘04 Matthew Savoie (Winnipeg, WHL) (BUF, 2022, 1, 9)
‘04 Conor Geekie (Winnipeg, WHL) (ARZ, 2022, 1, 11)
‘04 Jagger Firkus (Moose Jaw, WHL) (SEA, 2022, 2, 35)
‘04 David Goyette (Sudbury, OHL) (SEA, 2022, 2, 61)
‘04 Jordan Dumais (Halifax, QMJHL) (CBJ, 2022, 3, 96)
‘04 Nate Danielson (Brandon, WHL) (2023 draft eligible)
‘05 Zach Benson (Winnipeg, WHL) (2023 draft eligible)
‘05 Brayden Yager (Moose Jaw, WHL) (2023 draft eligible)
‘05 Riley Heidt (Prince George, WHL) (2023 draft eligible)
‘05 Andrew Cristall (Kelowna, WHL) (2023 draft eligible)
‘05 Matthew Wood (University of Connecticut, NCAA) (2023 draft eligible)
‘05 Tanner Howe (Regina, WHL) (2024 draft eligible)

Defence (7)
‘04 Ty Nelson (North Bay, OHL) (SEA, 2022, 3, 68)
‘04 Denton Mateychuk (Moose Jaw, WHL) (CBJ, 2022, 1, 12)
‘04 *Kevin Korchinski (Seattle, WHL) (CHI, 2022, 1, 7)
‘04 Tristan Luneau (Gatineau, QMJHL) (ANA, 2022, 2, 53)
‘04 Owen Pickering (Swift Current, WHL) (PIT, 2022, 1, 21)
‘05 Lukas Dragicevic (Tri-City, WHL) (2023 draft eligible)
‘05 Cam Allen (Guelph, OHL) (2023 draft eligible)

Goalies (2)
‘05 Carson Bjarnason (Brandon, WHL) (2023 draft eligible)
‘05 Scott Ratzlaff (Seattle, WHL) (2023 draft eligible)

On the surface, seems like a lot of WHL players. Also a much younger roster overall than this year’s Canadian team. I excluded Bedard and Wright obviously. I also believe Fantilli is likely not available next year. That leaves Beck as the only returning forward, and overall a pretty young forward group. Will be interesting to see if Jordan Dumais is available. He is absolutely ripping up the Q right now but he’s a later pick. I’m not sure if he can play AHL next year but if he’s eligible for that he may be playing there. Don’t think he leaps right to the NHL though. Colby Barlow, Ethan Gauthier, Hunter Haight, Matthew Poitras, Calum Ritchie and Jordan Gustafsson were among my final forward cuts here. Definitely an opportunity to make the team older upfront if they want.

Defensively, it will be a lot of 19-year-olds, and Dragicevic has impressed, and is likely a first-round pick this year, so I added him. I tried balancing left and right shots. The seventh spot was a bit tougher but I went with Cam Allen. His stats don’t look great but he’s on a bad team and I believe he’s still expected to go in the first round this year. Plus he was the captain at the Hlinka this past year. Other potential D options include Caden Price, Jordan Tourigny, Oliver Bonk, Noah Warren and Maveric Lamoureux.

Goalies I really had no idea. Looks like it could be a weak spot again (although Milic was good this year). Both guys I took were on the Hlinka team this past year and Bjarnason is ranked among the top goalies in this year’s crop.

This is a team that will be in the medal conversation, as Canada always is, but not sure they'd be favoured to win. They have some high-end talent like Savoie/Benson/Yager/Korchinski, but they're also a bit younger, which can be a pretty big deal at this tournament. I think the Americans will be the favourites next year.

Will be fun to check back in on this next year and see how wrong I am!
If we're worried about the forwards being too young, what about Fraser Minten?

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Great tournament. Let's hope now going forward this tournament, when in Canada, will always be in junior cities. at least for the next decade and a half.
Looking forward to a European tournament next and early a.m. Team Canada games.
Sweden and the US returning a lot of players...those two teams would have to be the favorite for now. We shall see how the rest of the year unfolds.

And looking forward to the debut of Canada's next 16 year old (currently 15 year old) phenom.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I see this tournament shaping up like the 2013-14 tournament in Sweden. We have some good, but not elite, 19 year old players available (I would classify 19 year old Fantilli as elite if he's available) and an influx of underage talent. I can't see any possible way Bedard or Wright are available. Even if Wright struggles at the NHL level, I don't think Seattle would feel compelled to send him after winning gold this year.

I can foresee some tough games given: 04 is a down birth year for Canada; no home ice advantage; a younger roster by Canadian standards; and the sheer amount of talent that other countries are returning. While I always want Canada to win gold, I would be happy with the 05s (a very strong birth year for Canada) getting some solid experience and winning gold on home soil in 2025 with a strong roster, similar to 2015.

Last edited:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I see this tournament shaping up like the 2013-14 tournament in Sweden. We have some good, but not elite, 19 year old players available (I would classify 19 year old Fantilli as elite if he's available) and an influx of underage talent. I can't see any possible way Bedard or Wright are available. Even if Wright struggles at the NHL level, I don't think Seattle would feel compelled to send him after winning gold this year.

I can foresee some tough games given: 04 is a down birth year for Canada; no home ice advantage; a younger roster by Canadian standards; and the sheer amount of talent that other countries are returning. While I always want Canada to win gold, I would be happy with the 05s (a very strong birth year for Canada) getting some solid experience and winning gold on home soil in 2025 with a strong roster, similar to 2015.

The 05s are strong enough to win with a few key 04s. Maybe that's why we won't see Misa or Celebrini, to fill the team with 05s. I think Yager and Benson will be the big time players for this team, they dominated Hlinka.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Didn't work out too well for Lindros though, did it? That 1992 team was one of the worst Canadian teams in history.

Yeah, I generally hate Hockey Canada's graduated rule... you know that silly thing Hockey Canada does when a U18 player plays a U20 tournament he can never play a U18 tournament again. He has "graduated" I think it is safe to say that Bedard has not only graduated U18 (He is eligible to play the U18 tournament this April) but he has also now graduated U20. On to the senior men's team in May. I hope I hope.

Reactions: NordiquesForeva

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Is there really somebody who thinks Korchinski won't be available? The kid is not in the NHL next year.

As far as the Q is concerned, predictions of who will be there:
  • Ethan Gauthier
  • Tristan Luneau
  • Jordan Dumais
  • Maveric Lamoureux (barring a great end of season, start of next)

Outside real chances to get in:
  • Samuel Savoie (in an energy role)
  • Noah Warren (if he really picks up his game)

Darkhorses 18 year old that could have a legitimate chances:
  • Étienne Morin (love the kid)
  • Jordan Tourigny
  • Mathieu Cataford

Outside darkhorses (that's....really far down the list..lol)
  • Tyler Peddle
  • Cam Squires

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
The 05s are strong enough to win with a few key 04s. Maybe that's why we won't see Misa or Celebrini, to fill the team with 05s. I think Yager and Benson will be the big time players for this team, they dominated Hlinka.

They certainly could win, I'm just tossing in my two cents based on the factors I cited above. The 2013-14 team I referenced had a 16 year old McDavid, 17 year old Ekblad and 18 year old Drouin, Reinhart, Horvat, Lazar, Petan and Morrissey and struggled. We also didn't get spectacular goaltending from an 18 year old Fucale.

I see a lot of parallels with the potential makeup of this team. You generally need high end 19 year olds to win at this level. While you're right that Benson and Yager dominated the Hlinka, we need to keep in mind there was no Russia this year and the USA sends its second tier (for the most part) to the Hlinka. If some 05s perform like Cooley, Snuggerud and Gauthier did this year in their D+1, we could certainly be in the mix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad