Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season: Free Agency, Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Hard runner, glad he’s getting out now. He’s had some bad injuries and it wasn’t gonna get better with age. I wish him happiness and prosperity in his retirement. Running backs get such a raw deal

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
If they pick JJ at 3 I will cry and then pick up the pieces and talk myself into it

Fortunately it’s probably horse shit
With any luck Washington stupidly takes JJ Macjones at 2 thus preventing the pats from embarrassing themselves.

I’m still holding out hope Daniels is there at 3. Although common sense says he’s a Commander at 2

Reactions: CDJ

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Would McCarthy make it to the 11th OA if the Pats traded down to the Vikings? I'd rather they trade down and pick up an extra 1st if he's their guy.

PeanutButter37

Feb 20, 2015
Zero percent chance. I don't expect the 4 quarterbacks to last past 8ish, because too many teams will trade up to grab the last one.

I'm not comparing Mac & JJ from a football perspective, but let's not forget that there were rumors that the 49ers were going to draft Mac with 3OA in 2021 - or another team would trade up for him.

Mock draft from the week of the draft: Seven-round 2021 NFL mock draft, Round 1: Broncos, Bears trade up for QBs

JJ was projected as a 2nd round flier 1-2 months ago and now he's rumored to be a guaranteed top 8 pick. I'm not saying he'll be available at 11 (I think it's likely he'll be gone by then), but it's closer to 50/50 than 0%. It's smoke screen season - none of us really know what's going to happen at the draft.

I'd risk moving back to 11, if the Vikings offer us a haul for 3OA - 11, 23, and 2025 1st would be what I'd want. If JJ is the guy the Patriots want, I'd be damn sure that there's a second deal to move up to the 6-8 range to grab him. I'm not a fan of Daniels 5th year boom - his lack of size and ability to throw short / intermediate passes makes me wary of the hype. If 1 / 2 is Williams / Maye, I'd make that trade even without the 2nd deal in place.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
JJ was projected as a 2nd round flier 1-2 months ago and now he's rumored to be a guaranteed top 8 pick. I'm not saying he'll be available at 11 (I think it's likely he'll be gone by then), but it's closer to 50/50 than 0%. It's smoke screen season - none of us really know what's going to happen at the draft.

I'd risk moving back to 11, if the Vikings offer us a haul for 3OA - 11, 23, and 2025 1st would be what I'd want. If JJ is the guy the Patriots want, I'd be damn sure that there's a second deal to move up to the 6-8 range to grab him. I'm not a fan of Daniels 5th year boom - his lack of size and ability to throw short / intermediate passes makes me wary of the hype. If 1 / 2 is Williams / Maye, I'd make that trade even without the 2nd deal in place.
For what it's worth, one of the guys that I follow for draft info has been screaming "McCarthy is better than Maye" since the end of the College Football season.

And he's got stats and tape to back it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeanutButter37

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
I still think they like McCarthy. When the coaches were talking about what they want in a qb a month ago, it was basically naming all the intangibles used to describe McCarthy. Now that the media are getting a better idea of what teams are thinking, he's gone from a potential top 15 pick to top 5. Mayo also basically said Drake Maye is a high ceiling but low floor prospect.

Whether they draft Maye, McCarthy or trade down for a haul, i can see what they are going for. Just don't want them drafting Daniels.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
For what it's worth, one of the guys that I follow for draft info has been screaming "McCarthy is better than Maye" since the end of the College Football season.

And he's got stats and tape to back it up.

This guy might be absolutely right, but there are other guys with really good track records who love Maye as the obvious 2. Some have him as a 1B.

Funny thing is, they might all be right but we'll never know it if the QB goes to a system that is completely wrong for him.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
This guy might be absolutely right, but there are other guys with really good track records who love Maye as the obvious 2. Some have him as a 1B.

Funny thing is, they might all be right but we'll never know it if the QB goes to a system that is completely wrong for him.
Which is why I sorry for any rookie QB coming in here. Because I don't think we're ready in terms of having the pieces to develop and protect. We can't make the mistake we did with Mac. Everything has to be done correctly.

I don't know if any of the QB's that are ready to be drafted are the  "one". But we're gonna find out. Hopefully we do the best we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad