Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season: Free Agency, Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Don’t put any stock into anything that gets said this time of year
Agreed. There is so much white noise on the draft it is stunning and goes to show the actual level of hard core journalism (going extinct) vs. the clickbait soapbox stuff that is quite simply the bane of this generation. The opiate of the people....

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Don’t put any stock into anything that gets said this time of year
Nope. And really, given the cost of moving up in the draft, what's the point of not taking a QB at 3 to trade down with someone like Minny? Going rate to go up from 9 to a QB spot is like 2 extra first rounders in addition to the pick swap. Unless there is a serious red flag you pretty much have to take the QB. Getting the extra picks now, only means that you have to give up the same when you try to move up in another year or two.

So, it's really whether AZ or Chargers who are willing to trade down for a team looking to take McCarthy.

Reactions: bbfan419

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA

I am really worried about where this organization is going and I haven't liked a single thing Mayo has said this entire off-season. The Ridley comment is f***ing absurd if you think about it for even one second.

I think you might be putting too much stock into what Mayo is putting out there for public consumption.

Reactions: CDJ

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Mayo is too open with the media. Already given us the Patriots version of full throttle.

The Athletic have the Patriots as the biggest loser of free agency. Over 100 million in cap space, needs all over the place but especially at WR and LT and the most they have done in those positions is add another WR3 for cheap money. A 4-13 team that are worse than they were last season as of today. They have put a lot of pressure on themselves to nail the draft.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Mayo is too open with the media. Already given us the Patriots version of full throttle.

The Athletic have the Patriots as the biggest loser of free agency. Over 100 million in cap space, needs all over the place but especially at WR and LT and the most they have done in those positions is add another WR3 for cheap money. A 4-13 team that are worse than they were last season as of today. They have put a lot of pressure on themselves to nail the draft.

That might be true but I also don’t think you should overpay just to bring guys here that aren’t worth it. They’ll have a significant amount of cap space again next offseason and hopefully make some improvements that would entice players to come because right now we don’t even have a QB

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
That might be true but I also don’t think you should overpay just to bring guys here that aren’t worth it. They’ll have a significant amount of cap space again next offseason and hopefully make some improvements that would entice players to come because right now we don’t even have a QB
Who cares about overpaying one player when you have as much cap space as the Patriots will have the next two seasons and are a really bad team as of now? The wr free agency market has sucked for years. The top guys either get re-signed or traded to a team that will re-sign them.

Ridley is overpaid but seeing that they had no other plan for free agency besides him, they should have given him whatever it took to get him to sign with the Patriots and structured the contract in the way that benefits him the most. It would have taken a lot of pressure off everyone. After the draft you could trade for a Higgins or Aiyuk too. Really try and give your rookie qb the best chance of development by having two 1,000 yard wr to throw to.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Who cares about overpaying one player when you have as much cap space as the Patriots will have the next two seasons and are a really bad team as of now? The wr free agency market has sucked for years. The top guys either get re-signed or traded to a team that will re-sign them.

Ridley is overpaid but seeing that they had no other plan for free agency besides him, they should have given him whatever it took to get him to sign with the Patriots and structured the contract in the way that benefits him the most. It would have taken a lot of pressure off everyone. After the draft you could trade for a Higgins or Aiyuk too. Really try and give your rookie qb the best chance of development by having two 1,000 yard wr to throw to.
I think I might agree with this take if the Patriots were a little closer to competing.

But I also think to get back to Super Bowl contender status will take several years. And I think there's something to be said for not overspending on guys like Calvin Ridley in the hopes that a better opportunity will present itself at some point a year or two from now.

FWIW...

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Williams, Maye, Daniels, McCarthy, Penix are my guesses on who he is talking about

0% they take one of the latter 2 at pick 3

Reactions: JRull86

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I thought they fired Belichick? Keeping all the guys he drafted/signed. Signing a QB he drafted. Not spending money on impact players and probably trading down..

I know it's lying season, but the truth is is mixed in with the lies.

I really hope they crush this draft, but my confidence level isn't where I'd like it to be..

incidental otter

Registered Spraint
May 27, 2015
I thought they fired Belichick? Keeping all the guys he drafted/signed. Signing a QB he drafted. Not spending money on impact players and probably trading down..

I know it's lying season, but the truth is is mixed in with the lies.

I really hope they crush this draft, but my confidence level isn't where I'd like it to be..

Eliot Wolf, February: "At the core [of building a team] is draft and develop... As we ascend in this program, there'll be times when it maybe doesn't make sense to sign as many high-priced free agents. ... In regards to [Dugger and Onwenu], we'd love to keep those guys."

Jerod Mayo, February: "You know, I kind of misspoke when I said ‘burn some cash’ but I was excited when you see those numbers... But when you reflect on those numbers ... you don’t have to spend all of it in one year."

They warned us this was coming.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
For what it's worth, one of the things that hurt the Patriots this year was the cap going up by an extra $25 million.

That extra $25 million meant fewer teams had to make moves to be compliant, and teams that maybe thought they'd sit out free agency suddenly became players.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
They are kind of stuck in that if there are 5 legit QB's in their mind and CHI, WAS, NE, NYG, NYJ and VIK are all in on a QB that means they could be naked on QB if they swap out with the 11th of the Vikings. ATL got theirs in FA so not sure they would give up much as they have great OT and WR options at 6.

Really the only "safe" deal if they think it is 5 deep max would be Chicao's 9th and next year's 1st or 2nd. CHI could get Caleb and Alt which would make their heads explode, and the Pats could still get their top 5 guy and some more draft capital albeit later ... which doesn't really help all that much. Unless of course they are thinking one of their 5 will be there in the 2nd round as a sleeper and they could then do the Vikings deal for the 11th and 23rd but that's a lot of risk if their guy goes and they have a team and franchise with no QB plan. Don't think the ownership would feel too great about having to explain the master plan to the fans in that case.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
I think I might agree with this take if the Patriots were a little closer to competing.

But I also think to get back to Super Bowl contender status will take several years. And I think there's something to be said for not overspending on guys like Calvin Ridley in the hopes that a better opportunity will present itself at some point a year or two from now.
Most nfl teams are never more than two seasons away from being able to make the playoffs if they can draft and sign well. I'm not worried about being a super bowl contender, just make the team good enough for the playoffs and build from there.

The Patriots as of today have over 50 million in cap space. I could not care less how much they would have had to overpay Ridley to get him to sign, they should have done it. I waited to see if they had a backup plan after missing Ridley but it feels like it was him or nothing. The Titans had Hopkins and still saw the value in signing Ridley to give their young qb more talent to throw to while the Patriots keep digging through the discount section.

Maybe it would have been harder to pull off than it is when you're an armchair gm but they could have signed Ridley, still traded for a Higgins like wr and really built this roster up to have a strong support system around a rookie qb. Right now, if they do draft a qb with the 3rd pick, that qb would be walking into a worse situation than Mac Jones dealt with. Good luck to him if they don't trade down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad