Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season: Free Agency, Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The sudden hype of JJ McCarthy going from mid/late first to top 3 reminds me of the buzz around the 49ers wanting Mac Jones at 3 in 2021. Hard pass on that.

Maye or Harrison or I riot.

Reactions: bbfan419

PeanutButter37

Feb 20, 2015
The sudden hype of JJ McCarthy going from mid/late first to top 3 reminds me of the buzz around the 49ers wanting Mac Jones at 3 in 2021. Hard pass on that.

Maye or Harrison or I riot.

That and when Will Levis moved into the top 5 in mocks the week of the draft (all the way up to 2OA).

With that said, I actually like JJ and would be okay with the pick at 3... The only option right now that would make me unhappy is if they took Daniels 3OA. Daniels would be 6th on my list, in terms of value - Nix / Penix would be fine later in the first / early 2nd and Pratt as a 4th rounder are all preferred options to Daniels at 3, imo.

I just don't see the long term appeal of Daniels - the body type and running style make me think he's going to be injured more often than not. And he isn't great with short / intermediate routes, which is so much more important in the NFL. He had an unbelievable season & the running is dynamic, but how much of the success this season can be attributed to the elite offensive talent around him - Nabers arguably as good as MHJ & Brian Thomas is easily a 1st round talent.

PeanutButter37

Feb 20, 2015
You'd riot if they picked Daniels? That's madness

Not riot - It's just not my preferred route. Every option is a risk / reward - I'll be thrilled if they pick Daniels and he ends up hitting his ceiling. All these guys have a high ceiling - Daniels clearly has more talent in certain areas, but still has his deficiencies. I see those minor flags as more risky than the flags associated to the other guys available. I completely understand why people like him though.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I think JJ is going to surprise people and be  very good.

but I don't think I can justify taking him at 3.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think JJ is going to surprise people and be  very good.

but I don't think I can justify taking him at 3.
Honestly, if you like him you kind of have to take him at 3 as neither AZ nor LAC will trade up and those 2 teams are best poised to trade down should another team look to move up for a QB.

Feels like if AZ was moving off Kyler, they have done it by now and take QB4 at #4.

Think AZ, if they trade down, would prefer to not go past the NYG at 6 so that they can land a WR for Murray. Going to Minny at 11, the top 3 WR will be off the board and even if Bowers is there at 11, don't think Murray and a TE are a great fit given his height. Seems like only Brees, if you lump him into the shorter QBs ever knew how to use a TE well.

Chargers, can see them going down to 11 and getting 23 to do so. Have to replenish the roster due to them pushing cap charges into this season for their top WR/DE and letting their 2 WR go and redoing deals for their DE.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
If he's a good QB, no one will give a crap if you overdraft him.

If he's a bad QB, no one will give a crap where you took him.

If, and I say this with caution,  If the Patriots select JJ, the meltdown would be intense and he'd be written out before he'd even throw a pass. Any rookie we draft will have immense pressure. If we go the JJ route, it would be worse.

I'm not confident in any of the QB's listed. But if they're drafting one, I'm just going to have to be okay with it and hope they don't do what they did with Mac. Do what they did with the Texans. Surround your young QB with talent. It's very important.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
If, and I say this with caution,  If the Patriots select JJ, the meltdown would be intense and he'd be written out before he'd even throw a pass. Any rookie we draft will have immense pressure. If we go the JJ route, it would be worse.
If the Patriots think JJ McCarthy is both the best QB available at #3 and a potential franchise QB, they should take him and f*** everything else.

Fans -- and I include myself in this -- are largely idiots. Most of us have no idea how to truly evaluate quarterbacks. Bills fans were pissed when they drafted Josh Allen. One Buffalo columnist even wrote that they had drafted "the wrong Josh", because they had passed on Josh Rosen.

None of us really know what we're talking about here.

PeanutButter37

Feb 20, 2015
Wait, that's actually him retweeting that??

That's a bombshell.

How does WSH go ahead and draft a player that already put them on blast like that?

Daniels and the Commanders are meeting next Monday & Tuesday, no? His comment makes me think that he's looking forward to that meeting. Also, "Glad to be home" may mean that he is happy to be done with the New England meetings - seems more like he prefers Washington to the Patriots based on the reply.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Daniels and the Commanders are meeting next Monday & Tuesday, no? His comment makes me think that he's looking forward to that meeting. Also, "Glad to be home" may mean that he is happy to be done with the New England meetings - seems more like he prefers Washington to the Patriots based on the reply.
Yeah I read that way wrong.

More of squashing a rumor than adding to it.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
pre-draft rank

hair Sam Hartman
1712768994244.png

headband Spencer Rattler
1712768434764.jpeg

Reactions: GatorMike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad