Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season: Free Agency, Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Allen also lost Gabe Davis this offseason. He has Kincaid. His WR group is Shakir/Hollins/Samuel. That may actually be as bad as ours.

If he has any sort of success with his new supporting cast he’s an elite elite qb

Reactions: bbfan419

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Allen also lost Gabe Davis this offseason. He has Kincaid. His WR group is Shakir/Hollins/Samuel. That may actually be as bad as ours.

If he has any sort of success with his new supporting cast he’s an elite elite qb

They GOTTA have a move planned to get someone. Right? RIGHT?

Reactions: CDJ

PeanutButter37

Feb 20, 2015
They're gonna trade to get MHJ or Tee Higgins :sarcasm:

No but seriously. I can't forsee them not getting somebody for Allen

They have very little draft capital in this draft. I'm really interested to see what they do at the draft... I thought they were going to draft a defensive player to replace their depleted secondary, but now they _have_ to draft a WR at some point. I could see them trading out of 28OA to grab an additional pick. Deep WR and DB class, so I think they can afford to drop into the 2nd round.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
The draft is three weeks from today. Random thoughts:

* I have a significant preference for Drake Maye over Jayden Daniels, based almost entirely on arm strength. Daniels can probably go somewhere like Washington and be a really good NFL QB. But I think in places like Buffalo and Green Bay and Foxboro, it's preferable to have someone with a bigger arm to combat the elements.

* If I had to guess, I'd say there's a 65% chance the Patriots stay at #3 and take either Maye or Daniels, a 25% chance they trade the pick, and a 10% chance they keep the pick and take someone else.

* I'm going to be a bit of a hypocrite here because I've been beating the drum over how I think the Patriots and Vikings already have a deal worked out, but... I'm not sure I want to drop all the way down to #11, and potentially miss out on the top 4 quarterbacks, the top 3 receivers, and the top 2 tackles. I've got my eye on the Giants at #6 as a team that might have enough motivation and assets to make the kind of offer that could be compelling.

* I think this is a good offensive line draft, but I'm not convinced it's a good offensive tackle draft. I think there are a lot of future NFL guards that are masquerading as tackles. I currently have no idea how the Patriots are going to fill that gaping hole at left tackle.

* Same thing applies to receiver to a lesser extent. Lot of good receivers... not a whole lot of guys I feel really good about being really good X receivers once you get past the top four or five.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

* I'm going to be a bit of a hypocrite here because I've been beating the drum over how I think the Patriots and Vikings already have a deal worked out, but... I'm not sure I want to drop all the way down to #11, and potentially miss out on the top 4 quarterbacks, the top 3 receivers, and the top 2 tackles. I've got my eye on the Giants at #6 as a team that might have enough motivation and assets to make the kind of offer that could be compelling.
I think if Minnesota trades up with anyone, its with the Chargers for #5 and they take McCarthy. I also think Justin Jefferson is part of that trade package.

Jefferson would be a phenomenal fit with Herbert and he'd be insane to not want to work out an extension there...

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

* I have a significant preference for Drake Maye over Jayden Daniels, based almost entirely on arm strength. Daniels can probably go somewhere like Washington and be a really good NFL QB. But I think in places like Buffalo and Green Bay and Foxboro, it's preferable to have someone with a bigger arm to combat the elements.

* If I had to guess, I'd say there's a 65% chance the Patriots stay at #3 and take either Maye or Daniels, a 25% chance they trade the pick, and a 10% chance they keep the pick and take someone else.

* I think this is a good offensive line draft, but I'm not convinced it's a good offensive tackle draft. I think there are a lot of future NFL guards that are masquerading as tackles. I currently have no idea how the Patriots are going to fill that gaping hole at left tackle.

* Same thing applies to receiver to a lesser extent. Lot of good receivers... not a whole lot of guys I feel really good about being really good X receivers once you get past the top four or five.
We have lots of hole to fill and need to hit on our top 5 picks this year if we are going to improve.
If the team has one QB in mind that they want ( other than Williams) and he is there at 3 take him, if not trade down and get more picks. I am assuming they want one of Daniels or Maye at three.
JJ does not move the needle for me to pick him in the top 5.

If the Pats trade down with Minnesota I take a OT to fill our need on the line, at 11, Alt will probably be gone by then, so Fashanu or Latham would be a nice fit. They can play next year starting week one.
With the second Minny pick in the first round, with some luck, Penix would be my guy. If not, there will be a nice WR around that can start week one. Thomas Jr or Mitchell will be there at 23.
With our second round pick, I would take another WR, then we are set for the next 4-5 years at that position and have some weapons for our future QB.
I would expect Minny to give us at least another first rounder in 2025, so we have 2 firsts next year.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
He'd be insane for preferring a team that can actually win a playoff game?
I don't understand your question..

All I'm saying is that if I'm an elite WR looking to get paid at the end of this year, living in LA and having a QB like Herbert throwing me the football for the next 4+ years would be very appealing, assuming the money was there.

If MN wants to get max trade value for Jefferson, they'd be incentivized to trade him to a team he'd want to potentially extend his contract with. The higher the likelihood of an extension, the higher the offer from another team. He'd be much more likely to extend with a team like LAC than he would be with New England, and his trade value would adjust accordingly.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I don't understand your question..

All I'm saying is that if I'm an elite WR looking to get paid at the end of this year, living in LA and having a QB like Herbert throwing me the football for the next 4+ years would be very appealing, assuming the money was there.

I understand that. And all I'm saying is that there could be very valid reasons that HE, not you, might not want to sign an extension with the chargers, beyond simple insanity.

Sh*tty org
Same division as mahomes
CA taxes
Not sold on coaches
Who knows?

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Might be at the point I would trade out of 3 entirely if Maye is gone.
I am thinking the same thing.
Best move is to trade with Minny, grab an OT at 11, hope that Penix is around at 23, if not grab a WR, will still have many good one's that can start next year.
Second round Nix will be there at 34 if Penix is gone.
If Penix is there, take a WR at 34.

Reactions: PeanutButter37
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad