OT: 2024 Flyers STH Town Hall - February 19th (Originally Scheduled For 1/19) (Audio In Post #84)

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
FWIW the Town Hall Meeting Monday was clearly less contentious between the STMs and the 'new' and younger management team (except for Steve Coates who 'retired' years ago... but refuses to go away 🤣 ) There was certainly much less negativity... if any at all actually... and clearly an effort on the Organization's side to be aware and have concern to BOTH the older STHs who have stuck with them, AND the younger ones who they definitely want to draw in and maintain for the long haul.

There was an admitted path of removing past 'changes' that rankled and seemed to push away many of the long-term STHs in the name of 'progress'. For but one example, they stated that fans without smartphones will not be deterred from entry... they seem to actually understand that there are quite a few older and actually younger fans who have not... nor will not... jump on the digital age, non-physical manner of operation. They seem to get that they must morph into the future, as long as there are some STHs who will not let go of the past... and are not being judgemental about it; they are not so dead set at gaining new fans as to let loose of the old ones in the process... they seem comfortable with dialing back on some past changes that might be against the grain of some or many of the once targeted new fans, while still moving forward into the future.

To take it even further, they are openly stating that they want to return to the 'FAMILY' atmosphere that Mr. Snider not only desired, but demanded. Their willingness to openly say they may have been wrong, and actually reverse some past changes that took them away from the family feel of the past organization seems sincere, and feels comfortable... if done properly. Their willingness to listen to the fans, rather than jam changes down thir throats is refreshing to me. I actually got the feeling that they CAN make it where the old-school AND digital age can co-exist... I believe they have been sold on the fact that many of the knee-jerk actions and changes implemented have to be adjusted or even reversed. I believe they can satisfy all sectors of their STHs fan base.

That said... I also understand that a WINNING situation can be a major reason the THM and fan base is now upbeat... after years of sourness. I also understand that there seems to be more trust of the current management in place... the cheerleader actions of the upbeat Hilferty has an effect... and the fact that Danny and Keith have yet to make any real detrimental moves has helped greatly too. I believe the organization, after feeling its way for awhile may have found a path... and found the right people to turn the corner. That said, I'll check back next year and check the pulse once again; the state of the rebuild probably will determine if this uptick will continue... but I actually get the feeling that it is much more than wins and losses... that it is also the attitude of a management team that gets it; I hope I'm correct.

As always, these are merely my opinions... and my take on the latest of the many Town Halls I've attended... and my observations from over the entire Flyers existence... and the personal feeling that the downturn may have been adjusted upward.

Sorry for the long post... I got on a roll.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
FWIW the Town Hall Meeting Monday was clearly less contentious between the STMs and the 'new' and younger management team (except for Steve Coates who 'retired' years ago... but refuses to go away 🤣 ) There was certainly much less negativity... if any at all actually... and clearly an effort on the Organization's side to be aware and have concern to BOTH the older STHs who have stuck with them, AND the younger ones who they definitely want to draw in and maintain for the long haul.

There was an admitted path of removing past 'changes' that rankled and seemed to push away many of the long-term STHs in the name of 'progress'. For but one example, they stated that fans without smartphones will not be deterred from entry... they seem to actually understand that there are quite a few older and actually younger fans who have not... nor will not... jump on the digital age, non-physical manner of operation. They seem to get that they must morph into the future, as long as there are some STHs who will not let go of the past... and are not being judgemental about it; they are not so dead set at gaining new fans as to let loose of the old ones in the process... they seem comfortable with dialing back on some past changes that might be against the grain of some or many of the once targeted new fans, while still moving forward into the future.

To take it even further, they are openly stating that they want to return to the 'FAMILY' atmosphere that Mr. Snider not only desired, but demanded. Their willingness to openly say they may have been wrong, and actually reverse some past changes that took them away from the family feel of the past organization seems sincere, and feels comfortable... if done properly. Their willingness to listen to the fans, rather than jam changes down thir throats is refreshing to me. I actually got the feeling that they CAN make it where the old-school AND digital age can co-exist... I believe they have been sold on the fact that many of the knee-jerk actions and changes implemented have to be adjusted or even reversed. I believe they can satisfy all sectors of their STHs fan base.

That said... I also understand that a WINNING situation can be a major reason the THM and fan base is now upbeat... after years of sourness. I also understand that there seems to be more trust of the current management in place... the cheerleader actions of the upbeat Hilferty has an effect... and the fact that Danny and Keith have yet to make any real detrimental moves has helped greatly too. I believe the organization, after feeling its way for awhile may have found a path... and found the right people to turn the corner. That said, I'll check back next year and check the pulse once again; the state of the rebuild probably will determine if this uptick will continue... but I actually get the feeling that it is much more than wins and losses... that it is also the attitude of a management team that gets it; I hope I'm correct.

As always, these are merely my opinions... and my take on the latest of the many Town Halls I've attended... and my observations from over the entire Flyers existence... and the personal feeling that the downturn may have been adjusted upward.

Sorry for the long post... I got on a roll.
So the main takeaway seems to be that the organization thought it was modernizing too rapidly? You really can't make up how incompetent the whole thing is. But glad they resolved the huge lingering issue of the three people who want to go to a game but refuse to have a smartphone in 2024 and the eternal throwback to returning to "Mr. Snider"

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So the main takeaway seems to be that the organization thought it was modernizing too rapidly? You really can't make up how incompetent the whole thing is. But glad they resolved the huge lingering issue of the three people who want to go to a game but refuse to have a smartphone in 2024 and the eternal throwback to returning to "Mr. Snider"
Meh. The business team was asked a direct question by a STH about printed tickets and the difficulty the digital platform presented to that STH himself.

Some people consider that important, obviously Sawdalite does. Others don't.

It wasn't like the organization stood up there and told us that "they're modernizing too rapidly."

Hell, when I opted out a couple of years ago before coming back I complained about not having printed tickets because growing up I enjoyed collecting them and wanted to do the same with my son as he grew up. The team has given me printed tickets since I made that complaint although this year they were basic Ticketmaster ticket stock which was disappointing.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
Meh. The business team was asked a direct question by a STH about printed tickets and the difficulty the digital platform presented to that STH himself.

It wasn't like the organization stood up there and told us that "they're modernizing too rapidly."

Hell, when I opted out a couple of years ago before coming back I complained about not having printed tickets because growing up I enjoyed collecting them and wanted to do the same with my son as he grew up. The team has given me printed tickets since I made that complaint although this year they were basic Ticketmaster ticket stock which was disappointing.
I recognize that I'm likely projecting here. I just hate the talk of Mr. Snider and family because it reinforces that they think they won in that era because of the family atmosphere. But they won in that era because they could outspend people and the "family atmosphere" concept today is just what leads to the senior advisors.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009

Trust me that there are many more than merely three... But, it is just three... they have as much right as those the others to be able to attend.

But you are sadly missing the point... The fact that the current management recognizes the fact that they can, and should, take care of ALL their fans is a step forward, and ultimately helps all in the process. Let me putbit this way; what if the management decided to go the safe route and make it where people had to use hard tickets... would that be okay? The fact that they are accommodating everyone, and allowing all to have equal rights has to be a step forward where no fan to be disenfranchised. Is it fair to not morph into the future and cast aside the past fans? Fast forward 30-40 years and imagine you are being cast aside... and how you may feel.

The point is that they seem to be attempting to accommodate all... and do recognize that they have made errors in the past that they should reverse course on... on both off the ice and on... and that the tone of the THM reflects the fact in that it was contentious as it has been the last several meetings.

It's easy to say that they only had to accommodate three stick in the muds... but that is far from the truth.

Reactions: antman12

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I recognize that I'm likely projecting here. I just hate the talk of Mr. Snider and family because it reinforces that they think they won in that era because of the family atmosphere. But they won in that era because they could outspend people and the "family atmosphere" concept today is just what leads to the senior advisors.
I'm as disenfranchised with this organization as the next guy but my take away also from the Town Hall the other day when referencing "family" it was more so talking to the STH's and making them feel like a part of something as opposed to just telling us to shut up while taking our money and offering nothing.

Obviously the organization has been full of nepotism and they do talk about wanting to get back to THAT but I don't think they were doing that the other day.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
Trust me that there are many more than merely three... But, it is just three... they have as much right as those the others to be able to attend.

But you are sadly missing the point... The fact that the current management recognizes the fact that they can, and should, take care of ALL their fans is a step forward, and ultimately helps all in the process. Let me putbit this way; what if the management decided to go the safe route and make it where people had to use hard tickets... would that be okay? The fact that they are accommodating everyone, and allowing all to have equal rights has to be a step forward where no fan to be disenfranchised. Is it fair to not morph into the future and cast aside the past fans? Fast forward 30-40 years and imagine you are being cast aside... and how you may feel.

The point is that they seem to be attempting to accommodate all... and do recognize that they have made errors in the past that they should reverse course on... on both off the ice and on... and that the tone of the THM reflects the fact in that it was contentious as it has been the last several meetings.

It's easy to say that they only had to accommodate three stick in the muds... but that is far from the truth.
I totally agree they should be accommodating for everyone OFF THE ICE. Hell, I hate that the Eagles won't send me paper tickets and I'm in my early 40s. 1. Transferring tickets through the app is a pain; and 2. I still remember getting those season tickets as a kid and loving it. But they should absolutely make it a fun and accommodating environment for everyone. I'm sorry if I misread your post to suggest that the main thrust of the presentation overall was hey, we get it, we're going to get this figured out (i.e., the on ice problem) because we're getting back to Mr. Snider days (which just means gooning it up).

My concern is that this organization has struggled mightily in the past to separate on and off ice considerations.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009

Whoa... I can and do use digital tickets... but I also recognize that not every one can or wants to... and that was not the gist of my long post; I apologize if that was all that came across.

FWIW I opt for digital tickets mainly for the exact same reasons as you do; collection and nostalgia... I also say that the ticketmaster generic plain tickets are a joke.. but I get it that the Flyers are kind of stuck with that, unless they want to spend the money to take care of UT themselves.

While I'm okay with the smartphone ticketing if required... my STH partner who is younger than I am does not use a Smartphone and was hampered by that... and an extremely progressive friend of mine who is also quite a bit younger refuses to use a smartphone for his own personal reasons; there are many people who don't.

Again... that was but a small portion of my post... the management willingness to work with all fans was the main gist... as was their willingness to correct course when needed.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Whoa... I can and do use digital tickets... but I also recognize that not every one can or wants to... and that was not the gist of my long post; I apologize if that was all that came across.

FWIW I opt for digital tickets mainly for the exact same reasons as you do; collection and nostalgia... I also say that the ticketmaster generic plain tickets are a joke.. but I get it that the Flyers are kind of stuck with that, unless they want to spend the money to take care of UT themselves.

While I'm okay with the smartphone ticketing if required... my STH partner who is younger than I am does not use a Smartphone and was hampered by that... and an extremely progressive friend of mine who is also quite a bit younger refuses to use a smartphone for his own personal reasons; there are many people who don't.

Again... that was but a small portion of my post... the management willingness to work with all fans was the main gist... as was their willingness to correct course when needed.
I didn't mean that you didn't know how, haha.

My original post was much shorter. It was initially just that we all hear different things and pay attention to different things. It was basically to say to LegionOfGloom that by no means was that the focus by the Flyers organization that night but just something that came up.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I totally agree they should be accommodating for everyone OFF THE ICE. Hell, I hate that the Eagles won't send me paper tickets and I'm in my early 40s. 1. Transferring tickets through the app is a pain; and 2. I still remember getting those season tickets as a kid and loving it. But they should absolutely make it a fun and accommodating environment for everyone. I'm sorry if I misread your post to suggest that the main thrust of the presentation overall was hey, we get it, we're going to get this figured out (i.e., the on ice problem) because we're getting back to Mr. Snider days (which just means gooning it up).

My concern is that this organization has struggled mightily in the past to separate on and off ice considerations.
Gooning it up was never on my mind... and that was not the Mr. Snider Family thing... It was the Flyers and fans are a family. I belive they got away from that and were cramming things down our throats without caring about turning fans away; it would be wrong going either way... care about all your fans... don't turn aside the old for the new/Don't ignore the new for the old... Morphing is the key... growing with respect to the past. and an eye to the future. I may be wrong, but I believe this management gets it... and the previous ones never did. Both on and off the ice. JMO

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I didn't mean that you didn't know how, haha.

My original post was much shorter. It was initially just that we all hear different things and pay attention to different things. It was basically to say to LegionOfGloom that by no means was that the focus by the Flyers organization that night but just something that came up.
Haha... yeah... I tried to make it clear that that was MY opinion... I took things out of it that others may not have, and didn't take out what others may have... and again, that aspect was just a portion of my post and I hope it didn't come across as the main one.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Before I got tickets rambling on in my roll there... my point was to be that the THM was upbeat, and they haven't been in the past... and that the Flyers were open to revisit past changes (like center ice logo, Kate Smith, goal song, personal bricks yada yada yada)... and we're willing to work with the STHs.

I remember how I personally got into to a terse argument with a certain past President after they installed the Tiered Seating change that raised my seats to an ungodly level... years later reversed... where I actually screamed at him that I didn't give a shot what the Detroit Red Wings did blah blah blah... that I was a Flyers STM... I got cheers, and the President's direct underling was nodding in agreement with me (he was opposed to the way they did it)... The President soon after left the Flyers (not saying due to that)... anyway, the THMs were often contentious in the past; I've never seen one that was in such a Kumbaya climate... maybe it was just me; IDK.

snoop88

Apr 15, 2012
I will never ever understand the obsession this organization has with Ed “Mr.” Snider.

You would swear we had the success of the Steinbrenner Yankees or Buss’s Lakers.

Dude has been dead for a decade. He didn’t win a championship for the last 40 years of his life. Let him go.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I will never ever understand the obsession this organization has with Ed “Mr.” Snider.

You would swear we had the success of the Steinbrenner Yankees or Buss’s Lakers.

Dude has been dead for a decade. He didn’t win a championship for the last 40 years of his life. Let him go.
Once upon a time, if you were the Flyers, he was Ed Snider.

If you were the Sixers, he was Mr. Snider.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

The "Mr" thing always seemed weird to me too. He does deserve credit for bringing hockey to Philadelphia and for establishing a winning culture early on. But he also (in my opinion) deserves a lot (i.e., "most") of the blame for the team treading water for the last several decades. He wanted the Flyers to be the Yankees but that was never realistic.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The "Mr" thing always seemed weird to me too. He does deserve credit for bringing hockey to Philadelphia and for establishing a winning culture early on. But he also (in my opinion) deserves a lot (i.e., "most") of the blame for the team treading water for the last several decades. He wanted the Flyers to be the Yankees but that was never realistic.
Great stroke of irony there. The Kate Smith stuff is only a thing because they followed what the Yankees were doing. They 86’ed her too. And I don’t think I ever heard a word about it in either direction.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Once upon a time, if you were the Flyers, he was Ed Snider.

If you were the Sixers, he was Mr. Snider.

The Sixers referred to him as "the B*stared who put up and risked his empire to build the Center, that we will constantly threaten to leave". ;)

FWIW I always use/used Mr. Snider as a form of respect... as it had become a wink...wink 'inside joke' many years back.
He actually wanted to be called Ed Snider... which is really very ironic.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

The last major impact he had on the team was yelling at Homer about goalies so much that they went out and got Bryzgalov. :laugh:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Every organization should have physical tickets. They're collectibles. It's a nice analog part of the experience. I don't want a digital sports experience. I want a vacuum tube sports experience.

Man City now kind of "pretend" they dont do physical tickets.

Until 2 years ago you used to get your tickets sent to you in a nice little branded folder and they were high quality.

But I still like getting paper tickets... so I just go 30 minutes earlier than otherwise would, say my phone is dead, and they then give me a paper ticket lmao.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad