2024 Draft

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Baby Iggy looks like he’s consistently in the mid teens of this draft on most drafting services.

This is why getting some big time assets is important. Calgary will draft likely no worse than 7-8, which would be a bit of a reach there; but if you had two or three other firsts you could package to get Tij.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Baby Iggy looks like he’s consistently in the mid teens of this draft on most drafting services.

This is why getting some big time assets is important. Calgary will draft likely no worse than 7-8, which would be a bit of a reach there; but if you had two or three other firsts you could package to get Tij.
Conroy has been schooled in the art of the trade down, don't forget.

It's how we got future Conn Smythe winner Connor Zary.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

Its also how we got best player in the draft Mark Jankowski as opposed to
Girginson, Ceci, Wilson, Hertl, Teravainen, Vasilevski or Laughton all of whom are and were better with a couple that would actually have changed the franchise.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Wouldn't it be the most Calgary thing in the world to be picking 6th and trade down 2 times until they're back in the mid teens haha. All for a couple extra seconds or something.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Trust me I know, I've been a Flames fan since the 80s.
I remember my first game standing room section mid ice at the Corral.

Wouldn't it be the most Calgary thing in the world to be picking 6th and trade down 2 times until they're back in the mid teens haha. All for a couple extra seconds or something.
then trade that mid teen pick plus the 2 extra seconds to Montreal for the conditional 1st..

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Its also how we got best player in the draft Mark Jankowski as opposed to
Girginson, Ceci, Wilson, Hertl, Teravainen, Vasilevski or Laughton all of whom are and were better with a couple that would actually have changed the franchise.

No... that was Weisbrod and Feaster being enamored by Jankowski and thinking they'd get him and another asset by trading down. They would have drafted Jankowski over those guys if they'd be worried someone might have taken him.

Conroy has gone on record about the tier system in the past. If they trade down, it's because they think they could get one of Hertl, Wilson, TT or Vasilevski all of which are BPA at that tier and they're happy with either. Trading down on Zary I think it was either because they knew no one else in that range was looking at Zary, or they were good with either Zary or Lapierre and kept going down and taking free assets because they knew certain teams were doing BPA dman on that same tier vs Flames were doing BPA C.

I trust scouting under Treliving and now I'm optimistic on Conroy. I do not trust scouting under Sutter, Feaster (it was 50:50) or Burke/Sutter influenced drafts. Luckily, I do not think that is the case for this upcoming draft.

I also hope Conroy lifts the weird Calgary boy drafting ethos that was apparent in the Burke/Sutter influenced drafts so that we don't end up missing out on the Point and Stankoven options in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. @Tkachuk Norris might be elated if this happens.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

Cayden Lindstrom at 11 and Iginla at 16

Trade Lindholm and Hanifin for 2 firsts (+ other stuff). Package those two firsts to move up. Draft Lindstrom and Iginla. Retool of the forward group done.

Zary-Lindstrom-Coronato
Pelletier-Honzek-Iginla

It's beautiful

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Admittedly I don't know enough about the D in this draft to be certain but from what I've seen Demidov and Catton are the two best forwards in this draft after Celebrini and I don't think either are likely to go top 5 atm. I think teams are going to talk themselves into big swings to justify the high pick and leave some of the more talented less physically gifted (mainly size, these guys are good skaters) guys on the board.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
We're right now in 9th slot. I could see Buff & Minn pass us, putting us 7th.
I think that is a realistic spot at the end.

That might be too high to grab Iginla, but I'd still really love to get Dickenson at that spot.
Safest pick outside Celebrini, and still alot of potential. Drafting character & possible future captain.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020

Trade Lindholm and Hanifin for 2 firsts (+ other stuff). Package those two firsts to move up. Draft Lindstrom and Iginla. Retool of the forward group done.

Zary-Lindstrom-Coronato
Pelletier-Honzek-Iginla

It's beautiful
Unfortunately, Lindstrom is almost certainly not going to be around at 11, and at this point Tij would be a steal at 16. I’d expect him to move up in the rankings by years end.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If we are top ten we are getting a really good player. I hope we sign Hanifin and Kylington because then we are about as well set up on the blue line and in goal as any team in the league going forward.

If we do that I would want, Demidov, Catton or Lindstrom as we really need a C prospect. I like Iginla too, I’ve seen him play live quite a few times and he’s definitely a goal scorer but we need a C badly.

Reactions: User1996

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
This team needs a huge break at this draft. Just a lot of crap going on with the team. Add in Lane Hutson drafted after Topi Ronni in 2022 and Montreal having our 2025 pick with weird conditions. We need a top 2 pick and a few extra first rounders for our UFAs. So much missed talent in last ten years by this team since Iginla left by not doing a proper rebuild.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022

Zary-Lindstrom-Coronato
Pelletier-Honzek-Iginla

It's beautiful

How are we getting the first line we need with those two middle six lines?

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
not gonna lie, with the way Tij is skyrocketing up the lists, it almost feels like he is destined to be a Flame

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
not gonna lie, with the way Tij is skyrocketing up the lists, it almost feels like he is destined to be a Flame

I hope not, seems to have the double red flag of a one season wonder with the massive increase in points and rising because of name value.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I hope not, seems to have the double red flag of a one season wonder with the massive increase in points and rising because of name value.
Have you seen last years Thunderbirds roster? Good luck to most 16 year olds getting any opportunity there. Pretty easy explanation why the numbers exploded the way they did this year.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
One of Yakemchuk, Lindstrom, Demidov, Iginla, Silayev would be an acceptable outcome. Two of em would be deluxe and could really set us up nicely.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Have you seen last years Thunderbirds roster? Good luck to most 16 year olds getting any opportunity there. Pretty easy explanation why the numbers exploded the way they did this year.

I don't think he is a do not draft but I would really want to make sure that he was the real deal not just having a hot season or riding the coattails of a good teammate.

I think Flames fans are getting a little hyped because of the last name.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Just swing for the fences. We stopped doing that when Sutter came back.

Stromgren has 9 points in 36 for the Wranglers while Stankoven is setting the AHL on fire with 50 points. A few Flames fans were even hoping for Stankoven at the time iirc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad