2024 Draft

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
It’s one of those drafts where the difference between 2 and 10 ain’t much imo. Good players but probably 2/3 D or a 2C. Hopefully the guy we pick pops.

I actually really like the top ten or so players. But this draft lacks elite talent imo. Other than Celebrini
Yeah I think that's correct. Lots of good, not much great and guys with a couple elite skills but big deficiencies in their game.

I think we'll get a good player. Hopefully the Flames are the ones that grab a Makar or Petterson and get an elite player from what was supposed to be a good one.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The Flames need a guy that can consistently carry the puck over the blue line without losing it or panic.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
If the season ended today we’d finish 26th and pick 7th. Time to ship Lindy and Tanev (and Hanifin if he won’t re-sign at a reasonable rate) and bottom out to get the highest possible pick. This may be our only chance at an elite player with a top-3/5 pick
Are there any franchise changing players projected from this draft other than Celebrini? Don’t get me wrong I definitely think we could use a couple years of tanking, I’m just not sure how strong this draft is.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Are there any franchise changing players projected from this draft other than Celebrini? Don’t get me wrong I definitely think we could use a couple years of tanking, I’m just not sure how strong this draft is.
Honestly probably ten or so players that could have a shot at #2. The only reason to tank this year is to get better lottery odds for first overall.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Honestly probably ten or so players that could have a shot at #2. The only reason to tank this year is to get better lottery odds for first overall.
Cole Eiserman reeks of being a 40-50 goal scorer . He’s gonna drop in this draft due to not having a good follow up year to his previous one and lacking everywhere but goal scoring, but you can draft him hoping the rest comes because you can’t teach his ability to put the puck in the net. He hits his potential, and you have a bigger and better Caufield.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Cole Eiserman reeks of being a 40-50 goal scorer . He’s gonna drop in this draft due to not having a good follow up year to his previous one and lacking everywhere but goal scoring, but you can draft him hoping the rest comes because you can’t teach his ability to put the puck in the net. He hits his potential, and you have a bigger and better Caufield.

Eiserman from many outlets apparently says he has no game outside of goals, no defense, no awareness, no playmaking. For a top 3-5 pick that's no bueno from me.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Eiserman from many outlets apparently says he has no game outside of goals, no defense, no awareness, no playmaking. For a top 3-5 pick that's no bueno from me.
as far as I knew, the point of the game is to score goals.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Great goal scorers are hard to come by. Teams will live with his deficiencies if his scoring translates to the NHL.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
If the Flames don't get 1st overall, they need to move heaven and earth to get the pick required to select Cayden Lindstrom. That's probably in the 2-4 range. (Flames would currently pick 6th I think)

I don't care if he isn't BPA, this organization has needed a top centre for two decades now. (longer, really) I like his size and speed to go along with scoring goals and stuff.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Eiserman has one of the strangest goal:assist splits I've ever seen. Going back to the Brick invitational, he's never finished with more assists than goals in a tournament/season/anything. Often he has waaaaaaay more goals than assists Usually even goal scorers have more assists than goals just because, on average ~1.5 assists are given for every goal.

To compare to past goal scorers Matthews and Bedard both had seasons with more assists than goals. Ovechkin has a similar thing going on but as he aged and refined his game his assist numbers started to go up and roughly equal his goal numbers. Caufield had similar splits in later seasons (as Hughes triggerman) but when he was younger he had more A's than G's.

I really need to see some full games of Eiserman because if his prospect thread is to be believed he's basically good at nothing except goal scoring which... is not ideal.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
If the Flames don't get 1st overall, they need to move heaven and earth to get the pick required to select Cayden Lindstrom. That's probably in the 2-4 range. (Flames would currently pick 6th I think)

I don't care if he isn't BPA, this organization has needed a top centre for two decades now. (longer, really) I like his size and speed to go along with scoring goals and stuff.

He's probably going 2nd so that won't be an easy pick to trade for. Konsta Helenius is a more realistic target for where we're going to pick.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

Ya, I think I'm really warming up to the idea of picking Lindstrom. We have enough small, soft offensive guys on the current team & in the system. We need that big C that can control the game.
Don't know if we actually need to trade anything. There's a log jam of guys like Lindstrom/Eiserman/Catton/Demidov/Levshunov/Silayev that can all go anywhere from 2-7
At any rate I want a future Captain with this pick, so if its not Lindstrom, then hoping for a top pair D that can play in any situation & there's a few of those in the top 10

He's probably going 2nd so that won't be an easy pick to trade for. Konsta Helenius is a more realistic target for where we're going to pick.
Way too early to say he's probably going 2nd. Just a couple months ago he was a mid rounder.

Last edited:

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Way too early to say he's probably going 2nd. Just a couple months ago he was a mid rounder

I didn't say it was for certain but he's definitely in that range currently and teams like to draft big centers. I don't see him falling past 5 as it is currently.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
as far as I knew, the point of the game is to score goals.
Great goal scorers are hard to come by. Teams will live with his deficiencies if his scoring translates to the NHL.
There have been plenty of guys who can score goals, guys who have nothing else in their game almost always leads to guys busting because you need to have a semi-complete game in the NHL. Players can skate by with low hockey IQ in junior, but if you don't have it you don't succeed in the NHL. Like ffs, we drafted Bennett 4th overall, we have the evidence in our back pocket that guys with low IQ bust.

I am confident who ever we pick will turn out though, Flames drafting has been fantastic lately and outside of Bennett our top picks have been the best possible, Monahan in '13, getting the 2nd best player in Tkachuk in the draft at 6th overall in '16. If we pick Eiserman than the scouts obviously see more in his game and I'd be fine, like I said I just read a few reports about him. He has dropped in most recent draft rankings.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Pure goal scorer with zero other attributes? Yeah, Virtanen sounds great; Flames should definitely draft him.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Eisermann is a very good player, Caufield + Debrincat are comparable. The Flames could use a finisher as much as anyone. That said I think taking pure scoring wingers that high is generally not the best plan. But if our scouts think he’s the one elite player left then you take him.

Generally though I think the top of the draft is for Cs or D. If Catton or or Lindstrom or Demidov don’t project to top 6 C then we need to take a D because there are some really good ones available.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Sell everything and lets just get Celebrini. He'd look great in a Flames sweater!

Honzek/Celebrini/Coronato on 1 line, with JP & CZ on the other

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Pick #5 and two picks from 20-30

Or package them all for pick #2

If this is indeed a "weaker draft", IMO what we should do is continue spreading that rumor and get as many picks in that draft as possible. Swing for the fences as hard as we can and hope for higher returns due to question marks on players that ended up being overblown. Remember the last weak draft class? I was saying we should get as many picks as possible for that draft and go apeshit and it turned out stronger than expected.

2017 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

In hindsight, top 5 is very nice but you don't want to draft the fallers, 6-10 meh. 11-20 solid and a lot of decent players spread out in the later rounds. Surprisingly quite a few players with some meh showings due to injury (Valimaki unfortunately one of them).

We might not immediately identify a superstar and we might not have the asset to acquire one right now IMO, but if we accumulate a lot of assets that are fast risers, we could potentially package them for a good young long term option within 2-3 seasons or just reap the benefits.

This means I trust our scouting and our development plan. I really, really like the new buddy system idea. I think it could increase chances of success AND speed up development in players AND reduce the risk we lose players due to heavy pressure. I want to gamble on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad