2024 Draft

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Too Early?

Looking like we might have our highest pick since Tkachuk went 6th OA in 2016. Maybe even higher.....

A few real nice F's at the top, but a bunch of good DMen this draft. Generally most not that impressed with the forward depth.
Would like to see us grab that franchise D, and get the franchise C next year when we really tank.
Do we take another Russian D? 2 or 3 of them slated in the top 10. Or stay close to home and take Yakemchuk?

Then ofcourse there is an Iginla, during the summer I was hoping we could nab him with our 2nd, but he's now climbing to mid first. Maybe another 1st still to come?

Totally expecting a Feb hot streak that puts us back into contention, only to fall short in March, and pick 15th.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Celebrini
Eisermann
Demidov
Levshunov
Silayev
Dickinson
Helenius
Lindstrom
Catton
Buium
Greentree
Yakemchuk

I’d be happy with any of those guys. No franchise caliber players other than Celebrini. Maybe Demidov.Eisermann is probably the next Debrincat/Caufield type.

I could see Iginla being there at 20ish if we get another first.

Reactions: Boomstick

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Does someone have a good grasp on the situations which would result in us having or not having our 2024 first?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Does someone have a good grasp on the situations which would result in us having or not having our 2024 first?
Having:
1) we don't make the playoffs
2) we make the playoffs placed 17 to 19 in the league and lose in the 1st round
3) we end up picking 20-32 and the Habs see how crappy we will be in 2025 and decide not to take our first this year AND the Flames decide not to be stupid and trade it for veteran help.

Not having:
1) we do spectacularly well for the rest of the season or we luck into a wildcard and go on a 2004 heater and end up in the finals, and get a pick in the 20-32 and Montreal decides to take the pick now as opposed to later
2) same scenario but Montreal decides not to take it but then the Flames do something stupid and trades it for veteran help.

Regardless, the best forward thinking move the Flames can make assuming they sell the pending UFA's for picks/prospects is to try to get Montreal to trade us back the conditional 1st for something more concrete. IE if the Flames pick is 14th see if they will take it in exchange for the now conditional 2025/26 1st.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Yes.

It was actually the 2025 1st that was traded, with conditions. First condition: If CGY’s 2024 1st round pick is between 20 and 32, MTL can take that pick instead. So safe to say that the 2024 pick is going to be Calgary's and it won't even come to a choice for Montreal.

Reactions: DFF

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Yes.

It was actually the 2025 1st that was traded, with conditions. First condition: If CGY’s 2024 1st round pick is between 20 and 32, MTL can take that pick instead. So safe to say that the 2024 pick is going to be Calgary's and it won't even come to a choice for Montreal.
This is how I understand it too. 99% sure we keep this years 1st. I think its also more likely that next year Montreal gets Florida's 1st. It's actually in our best interest to suck next year as the conditions state that if we pick top 10, that Montreal gets Florida's pick

Reactions: Son of Petter

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Celebrini
Eisermann
Demidov
Levshunov
Silayev
Dickinson
Helenius
Lindstrom
Catton
Buium
Greentree
Yakemchuk

I’d be happy with any of those guys. No franchise caliber players other than Celebrini. Maybe Demidov.Eisermann is probably the next Debrincat/Caufield type.

I could see Iginla being there at 20ish if we get another first.
I don't know much about any of these guys yet, only been paying attention to where the "experts" have been slotting them. Looking forward to seeing who rises/drops.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes.

To add to this...

in 2025 Montreal will get the Panthers 1st if the Flames pick is top 10 and the Panthers is not (because the Panthers pick is top 10 protected).

If both the Flames and Panthers 1st round picks are outside the top 10, the Habs get the higher of the 2 picks.

If the Panthers pick is top 10 it does not transfer and our 2025 would then only be protected if we win the 1st OA.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
They badly need those extra first rounders from trading Lindholm and Hanfin, maybe Tanev, to ensure they get Iginla. Unless Iginla tells them not to draft Iginla, or Iginla asks the Flames not to draft himself.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
They badly need those extra first rounders from trading Lindholm and Hanfin, maybe Tanev, to ensure they get Iginla. Unless Iginla tells them not to draft Iginla, or Iginla asks the Flames not to draft himself.
If Iginla tries to say anything of the sort, I imagine Iginla would be pretty upset. That's not in Iginla's DNA. Iginla would likely sort out Iginla pretty quick.

Reactions: Boomstick

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Celebrini
Demidov/Eiserman
Leshunov/Helenius
Dickinson/Lindstrom/Catton

I think as long as we are in the top 8 we will get a frontline player

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
This is the draft to replace Hanifin (top 8 pick). But somehow looking at how brutal the bottom 4 teams makes me want to avoid trading Lindholm and Tanev and be stuck in suck indefinitely

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
If Iginla tries to say anything of the sort, I imagine Iginla would be pretty upset. That's not in Iginla's DNA. Iginla would likely sort out Iginla pretty quick.
not sure if either Iginla will push for the Flames to draft him. its one thing to play for the same franchise as a father. it is a totally different sort of pressure if that father is a 1st ballot hall of famer, number is retired by franchise, is probably the most or second most beloved flames player ever, is now a senior member of hockey ops, the franchise is Canadian and there is a good chance the player grew up calling the GM Uncle Craig

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This is the draft to replace Hanifin (top 8 pick). But somehow looking at how brutal the bottom 4 teams makes me want to avoid trading Lindholm and Tanev and be stuck in suck indefinitely

Well.
The Lindholm thing can make some sense if he was playing up to the level we're accustomed to. Tanev only has some much more time left in the NHL... He travels the hard road in this league.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to bottom out a bit here. We need some really higher end guys. Calgary's always done a really good job at having the meat and potato middle of the lineup guys on the roster... and has always struggled with having the big dogs.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
It would be cool to be able to get Tij, but I just don't want to see it with our 1st pick.
Celebrini
Demidov/Eiserman
Leshunov/Helenius
Dickinson/Lindstrom/Catton

I think as long as we are in the top 8 we will get a frontline player
I don't know much about Levshunov, but how can you not drool over a 6'7 Dman (Silayev) that some compare to Chara? Silayev & Solvyov....that's a mouthfull!

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I am envisioning another 6 OA pick. No lotto win for this team but I think the Flames will be in a dog fight with the Kraken, Blue Jackets, and Sabres for 5-8 OA.

If Calgary ends up say 6 OA and Montreal ends up say 11 OA would it make sense to ask the Habs if they will trade the 11OA and our conditional 1st for the 6OA

Reactions: Iggys Dome

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I am envisioning another 6 OA pick. No lotto win for this team but I think the Flames will be in a dog fight with the Kraken, Blue Jackets, and Sabres for 5-8 OA.

If Calgary ends up say 6 OA and Montreal ends up say 11 OA would it make sense to ask the Habs if they will trade the 11OA and our conditional 1st for the 6OA
Ott will climb with games missed, Buffalo you have to think goes on a roll at some point.
I really don't know why the BJ's are so bad with the talent they have, but I guess they can say the same about us. I could see Montreal fall back down soon.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
From what I've seen and read I think this might be a relatively weaker class. It's still early but I'm not sure I recall a class with such a clear-cut #1 and this much debate around who's #2.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It’s one of those drafts where the difference between 2 and 10 ain’t much imo. Good players but probably 2/3 D or a 2C. Hopefully the guy we pick pops.

From what I've seen and read I think this might be a relatively weaker class. It's still early but I'm not sure I recall a class with such a clear-cut #1 and this much debate around who's #2.
I actually really like the top ten or so players. But this draft lacks elite talent imo. Other than Celebrini

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Doesn't seem like there's many potential superstars in this draft but we could get a couple good pieces. Probably a Hanifin replacement with our 1st in Silayev and a couple more role players if we get some 1sts for the UFAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00