2024 Draft Thread

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That is not a possibility
You may be really surprised ... kid really really wants to be a Leaf .. JT is pushing da agenda .. it may take more to get da pick but Leafs are in Matty win mode now and we need a #1 D man .. but we will have to wait to see which nhl gets da pick to see how realistic it is .. a Matty Sam and Woll combo might just do da Cup trick .. we will sacrifice wingers for da Cup cause .. but expect MAJOR CORE changes to da squad if we lose out round 1

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You may be really surprised ... kid really really wants to be a Leaf .. JT is pushing da agenda .. it may take more to get da pick but Leafs are in Matty win mode now and we need a #1 D man .. but we will have to wait to see which nhl gets da pick to see how realistic it is .. a Matty Sam and Woll combo might just do da Cup trick .. we will sacrifice wingers for da Cup cause .. but expect MAJOR CORE changes to da squad if we lose out round 1

If that's true and I don't know how you would that then that's great that he wants to be a Leaf.

But even if that's true he's a 3, MAYBE a top 5 pick how would you expect them to move up and get that pick?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If that's true and I don't know how you would that then that's great that he wants to be a Leaf.

But even if that's true he's a 3, MAYBE a top 5 pick how would you expect them to move up and get that pick?
We are 3 generation Marlboros family .. my dad, me and my brother and then my 2 boys and 1 of my bros sons too .. off to game now for Hot Stove dinner .. enjoy game

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
He would still need another 1-2 years of development, before entering the league. Dmen rarely dominate right away, so he'd need another 1-2 years to settle into an NHL role. You would be better off using our assets to acquire a youngish dmen who is a ready made player or save the assets and use the cap space to plug a hole for now by signing a guy like Tanev in the offseason.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
We have alot of small players who play small amd avoid the rough stuff. We get put muscled vs the bruins every yr. The bruins have Marchand Pastrnak and Zacha who are on the slight side but every other player is bigger bodied nad they take it to our leafs.

We have to draft to beat the bruins. No worries we still have Nylander Mathews( plays small for his size) and Marner ( who will be resigned) . The leafs need top end players who have nhl size and we need a top end defensive prospect preferably with size. The last decent dman we have drafted was Rielly.

The leafs lack grit and some players who play with a mean streak. Get that with size and if they can skate and you will have a beauty

Reactions: horner

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
2 teams that pick early that might not necessarily want to...Ottawa and Columbus.

I would do terrible things to get Sam Dickinson into the organization....do we have anything that could realistically get the deal done?

• Haha
Reactions: Maple Leaf

horner

May 22, 2007
Obviously it will depend on who's available, and the in-depth scouting analysis on them, but if I'm Treliving, I'm looking to move backwards in the draft.

Draft picks tend to be much better / more universal currency in trades than prospects. They have 0 draft picks of any significant in 2025.

It could certainly be possible to move from a 1st to a pair of 2nds split over multiple years kind of thing; and give the Leafs some currency to work with.

You look at a team like Arizona, who've drafted 12 players last year and 10 the year before. They'e got 13 picks this year... you've gotta think that they would at least consdier trading something like Washington's 2nd this year, and our 2nd next year,.
This year there are some big dman available.
Elick
EJ Emery pick up there late 2nd rd pk
Skahan
 Fischer

Maybe trade back in the 1st rd pk + Abruzzese with Chicago or Montreal
Then get there late 2nd rd pk
Maybe get lucky and get 2 of these dman
Elick
Strahan

Last edited:
Reactions: yychockeymom

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
2 teams that pick early that might not necessarily want to...Ottawa and Columbus.

I would do terrible things to get Sam Dickinson into the organization....do we have anything that could realistically get the deal done?
Cowan + Grebyonkin + 1st ‘24 + 1st ‘26 probably gets you into top 3-5. I wouldn’t do it but that’s probably what it takes… the problem is we have nothing tradable with value except Cowan. Without including him it would probably cost every draft pick we own until 2027 and even then maybe not lol

Last edited:

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
This year there are some big dman available.
Elick
EJ Emery pick up there late 2nd rd pk
Skahan
 Fischer

Maybe trade back in the 1st rd pk + Abruzzese with Chicago or Montreal
Then get there late 2nd rd pk
Maybe get lucky and get 2 of these dman
Elick
Strahan
Or better yet focus on drafting skill and upside and signing grit in free agency for cheap. Drafting any of these guys with a first is AWFUL.

Reactions: Leaf Lander

horner

May 22, 2007
Or better yet focus on drafting skill and upside and signing grit in free agency for cheap. Drafting any of these guys with a first is AWFUL.
Elick and EJ Emery by all accounts will be drafted as late 1st rd pks
The other 2 will be drafted late in the 2ns rd.

At some point we need to start draftngd some dman with size

Reactions: supermann_98

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Elick and EJ Emery by all accounts will be drafted as late 1st rd pks
The other 2 will be drafted late in the 2ns rd.

At some point we need to start draftngd some dman with size
If you want to be a good NHL defenseman you need to be more than just big. In the first round, you should be drafting defensemen with the skating and skill to move the puck and contribute in transition and offensively. In the first round you simply need to be targeting skill, IQ and mobility if you want the best chance at landing great NHL players. We targeted big defensemen under Hunter who were limited in other areas and got NOTHING to show for it.

horner

May 22, 2007
If you want to be a good NHL defenseman you need to be more than just big. In the first round, you should be drafting defensemen with the skating and skill to move the puck and contribute in transition and offensively. In the first round you simply need to be targeting skill, IQ and mobility if you want the best chance at landing great NHL players. We targeted big defensemen under Hunter who were limited in other areas and got NOTHING to show for it.
Except for Fischer they can all skate

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Then the team should look at acquiring and spending a second rounder on one of them. As I was saying the first round pick should always be spent on the best, highest upside player available regardless of need.
and sometime that upside is a big dman, with strong skating and defensive skills. Hunter picked low upside guys, mostly in later rounds. Consensus first round picks are there for a reason, because they have NHL upside. Emery and Elick are both a consensus late first round pick, because scouts believe that they have a high upside.... not offensively, but in other parts of their game.

horner

May 22, 2007
and sometime that upside is a big dman, with strong skating and defensive skills. Hunter picked low upside guys, mostly in later rounds. Consensus first round picks are there for a reason, because they have NHL upside. Emery and Elick are both a consensus late first round pick, because scouts believe that they have a high upside.... not offensively, but in other parts of their game.
It's the other parts you can't trade for pr sign as a UFA

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Cowan + Grebyonkin + 1st ‘24 + 1st ‘26 probably gets you into top 3-5. I wouldn’t do it but that’s probably what it takes… the problem is we have nothing tradable with value except Cowan. Without including him it would probably cost every draft pick we own until 2027 and even then maybe not lol
You are right there are some teams that would look at help next season rather than wait 4 years for a prospect but giving up Cowan who could play next year isn't an option for the win now Leafs. People say we resign Marner but it's not a guarantee if we flop again.

Reactions: TMLife17 and horner

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
1. Could this be pinned?

2. Does anyone have insight on Roger McQueen or Colton Roberts?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Sam Dickinson .. we should do whatever we can to move up in draft and pick up this TO kid .. big, very smart and skates great D .. plays a solid D game .. and was well trained by my top minor hockey team in country da Marlies .. he won't be a long long run development case .. one more year with London and another year with Marlies and he will play for us for 15+ years .. Tre go figure it out .. if you have to trade other 2024 picks plus our 1st then get in done . your draft will be highly successful if you only get this kid .. ask JT about him and he will fill you in

While I don't disagree with your assessment of the kid, I find it nearly impossible to believe that we have what it takes to land him. That pick belongs to Arizona right now... so how would we pull it off, because our 2024 and 2026 1st round pick, just doesn't get it done. Arizona should be consolidating and moving up, to put more quality into their system.... I mean, sending one of Nylander/Marner is the only way we legitimately could get this done... and what would we get? Crouse, McBain and their 1st? Hmmm... I don't think that makes Arizona a contender really, too soon to go for a move like that. But that's what it would take, one of Nylander/Marner... Then there is the major NMC issue of course.

1. Could this be pinned?
This should be moved to sticky threads.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
While I don't disagree with your assessment of the kid, I find it nearly impossible to believe that we have what it takes to land him. That pick belongs to Arizona right now... so how would we pull it off, because our 2024 and 2026 1st round pick, just doesn't get it done. Arizona should be consolidating and moving up, to put more quality into their system.... I mean, sending one of Nylander/Marner is the only way we legitimately could get this done... and what would we get? Crouse, McBain and their 1st? Hmmm... I don't think that makes Arizona a contender really, too soon to go for a move like that. But that's what it would take, one of Nylander/Marner... Then there is the major NMC issue of course.

This should be moved to sticky threads.

Yea, sticky, sorry lol.

I'm also in the I would do terrible things for Dickinson club but yea, it costs us a good player like Marner/Nylander but the NMC kinda kills it.

I mean, maybe if we took Nick Schmaltz too? I think his deal backdives

Their 1st and Schmaltz

For 1st, Minten, Liljegren, Robertson....have a feeling Knies needs to be in here which I would hate.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I never pay much attention to the draft if the Leafs are in a playoff spot. But I now find myself looking into Roger McQueen based almost entirely on the quality of his name.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad