2024 Draft Thread

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Just scanning the top 40 lists, appears like there will be some projectable c’s and d in the Leafs range. Seems like a perfect storm zero keep the pick.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The problem with the other approach is you may have an organizational need for that 6'5 RHD, but if none of your available eye test or statistical data suggest that particular player has a hugh chance of turning into a top four guy, you're basically relying on luck to do it's job.

Take 2016 for example. The Leafs went into left field with their first 2nd round pick option, taking potential power forward in Korshkov (despite there not being much statistical data supporting the move). In turn passing on small skilled winger with DeBrincat.

Imo it's best to use picks near the top of the draft on players you have a firmer grasp of their potential. Which I'd agree does bias towards skill/finesse guys,. though over time you're more likely to end up with more tangible NHL assets this way.

And with the caveat that things get more complicated if two very different players have very similar potential based on the available data
Ultimately it's nitpicking about who you'd prefer to pick. I don't think anyone is suggesting to not draft a 6'5" RHD if they are deemed like having projectable potential. The suggestion is to not to draft a 5'11"/6' winger/defenseman based on that reasoning just because we might have 1 too many of that size now instead of just trying to draft a player that could project towards the NHL in 2-5 years at the highest level possible. I'd rather have my team draft from a pool of players that doesn't have red flags just because they aren't 6'5" or whatever size is deemed appropriate. A balance is always nice to strive towards but hardly a concern to me at the draft table.

Sometimes it's a little luck and about the right opportunity to do so, not to go out of your way to do it.

Like the Leafs probably could have drafted Nico Myatovic (6'3" LW) last year instead of Easton Cowan (5'11" LW). Based on needs, it was probably a pick many would have made here, right? Good thing they didn't.

The problem with the other approach is you may have an organizational need for that 6'5 RHD, but if none of your available eye test or statistical data suggest that particular player has a hugh chance of turning into a top four guy, you're basically relying on luck to do it's job.

Take 2016 for example. The Leafs went into left field with their first 2nd round pick option, taking potential power forward in Korshkov (despite there not being much statistical data supporting the move). In turn passing on small skilled winger with DeBrincat.

Imo it's best to use picks near the top of the draft on players you have a firmer grasp of their potential. Which I'd agree does bias towards skill/finesse guys,. though over time you're more likely to end up with more tangible NHL assets this way.

And with the caveat that things get more complicated if two very different players have very similar potential based on the available data

My feeling is Leafs Nation prospect fans are brought up with the Joe Sakic vs Luke Richardson cautionary tale and that shapes a lot of values in how Best Player Available is often determined, perceived, etc. I certainly was growing up and getting into the draft and I'm sure you two are the same. Such a franchise changing moment, won and lost in the debate between Hall of Fame skill and size, defense, immediate needs, knuckle dragging bullshit.

Over the years I've always been on the skill side of the referendum. I remember the WTF moment as the Leafs picked Jeff Ware when Petr Sykora was available in 1995. Or my never Luke Schenn stance when guys like Cody Hodsgon, Nikita Filatov were available. Or how the 2014 drafting of William Nylander over Nick Ritchie felt like such a win for the good guys. But rarely is it ever as straight forward and obvious as between picking a Joe Sakic or a Luke Richardson... Sometimes it's Keaton Middleton vs Jeremy Bracco. And who cares?

So I've just come to think of it as restocking the cupboards and not really a referendum on any player type or what constitutes a BPA at all. Just draft different body types, play styles, characteristics, potential vs playability. I'll happily take a flyer on a guy the scouts think is the next Torey Krug or Kirill Kaprizov, but we don't need 5 of each to the detriment of other things.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

There’s also the very relevant question of whether you’re drafting for best player available or most short term valuable player available.

Say you have two equally ranked prospects, one is a 90% chance at becoming a high end 3rd liner/top-6 3rd wheel after a few AHL years, one has a 50% chance at becoming a high offense top-4 RHD by 20. Even if the 3C is more valuable in a playoff run and more likely to develop, 50/50 odds on turning a 23rd overall pick into someone overpaying for your RHD with multiple firsts and/or an even better middle-6 C prospect is a faster way to get the more valuable playoff piece + more. Likewise for trade bait at the deadline, a recent first tearing up juniors or the AHL is going to be more valuable than a future pick or a long term project slowly cooking somewhere quiet.

Reactions: Menzinger

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Leafs should 100% draft Nikita Artamonov

High motor, high iq, heavy hustle, can play within a system, not a soft player ... reminds me of a Tarasenko-Kucherov hybrid...

*SKIP TO 4:41 IN VIDEO FOR ARTAMONOV*

*SKIP TO 6:15 OF VIDEO FOR ARTAMONOV*

This guy sounds and looks like a potential late 1st round steal and ideal player to pair with Matthews and Marner imho

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Sam Dickinson .. we should do whatever we can to move up in draft and pick up this TO kid .. big, very smart and skates great D .. plays a solid D game .. and was well trained by my top minor hockey team in country da Marlies .. he won't be a long long run development case .. one more year with London and another year with Marlies and he will play for us for 15+ years .. Tre go figure it out .. if you have to trade other 2024 picks plus our 1st then get in done . your draft will be highly successful if you only get this kid .. ask JT about him and he will fill you in

Reactions: Leaf Lander

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sam Dickinson .. we should do whatever we can to move up in draft and pick up this TO kid .. big, very smart and skates great D .. plays a solid D game .. and was well trained by my top minor hockey team in country da Marlies .. he won't be a long long run development case .. one more year with London and another year with Marlies and he will play for us for 15+ years .. Tre go figure it out .. if you have to trade other 2024 picks plus our 1st then get in done . your draft will be highly successful if you only get this kid .. ask JT about him and he will fill you in

It'll be impossible to move up in the top 5 or 6 in this draft to get him. He might even go #2 or #3.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It'll be impossible to move up in the top 5 or 6 in this draft to get him. He might even go #2 or #3.
Kid wants to stay home and play for our Leafs .. not much he can do to control things but it would be well worth our 2024 1st and our 2026 1st on a swop .. we only have Matty for another 2 years when kid is nhl ready and he can anchor our D for 15+ years

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
One 6'3 RHD with great wheels and a mean streak please, keep the change

1710446275962.png

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
All we know is this pick C or D has to play at some point. It's the best player sure but do we really want another winger? We have no other high picks until 2027 which at this point is irrelevant. I'm hoping Tre can pick up some picks(2nd round) to fill some holes. Being weak on D and C is not a good mold to follow. If Mathews ever gets seriously injured this team is toast.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
One 6'3 RHD with great wheels and a mean streak please, keep the change

View attachment 835825

Lack of skill is a bit of a red flag that early in the draft but the other tools are very intriguing. A good skating aggressive defenseman with size could be worth depending what's available. A very similar profile to Braden Schneider, but Schneider had a little more offense to his game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Lack of skill is a bit of a red flag that early in the draft but the other tools are very intriguing. A good skating aggressive defenseman with size could be worth depending what's available. A very similar profile to Braden Schneider, but Schneider had a little more offense to his game.

Would almost be preferable to pull the reverse Sandin trade and move a pick for a Braden Schneider, premised on the idea that you like Schneider and he’s available.

Reason being he’s further along in development at 21-22, and this player type is best in their late 20s and early 30s.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Obviously it will depend on who's available, and the in-depth scouting analysis on them, but if I'm Treliving, I'm looking to move backwards in the draft.

Draft picks tend to be much better / more universal currency in trades than prospects. They have 0 draft picks of any significant in 2025.

It could certainly be possible to move from a 1st to a pair of 2nds split over multiple years kind of thing; and give the Leafs some currency to work with.

You look at a team like Arizona, who've drafted 12 players last year and 10 the year before. They'e got 13 picks this year... you've gotta think that they would at least consdier trading something like Washington's 2nd this year, and our 2nd next year, to get another pick in the first round.

Reactions: Gallagbi

horner

May 22, 2007
Obviously it will depend on who's available, and the in-depth scouting analysis on them, but if I'm Treliving, I'm looking to move backwards in the draft.

Draft picks tend to be much better / more universal currency in trades than prospects. They have 0 draft picks of any significant in 2025.

It could certainly be possible to move from a 1st to a pair of 2nds split over multiple years kind of thing; and give the Leafs some currency to work with.

You look at a team like Arizona, who've drafted 12 players last year and 10 the year before. They'e got 13 picks this year... you've gotta think that they would at least consdier trading something like Washington's 2nd this year, and our 2nd next year, to get another pick in the first round.
There's alot of good dman late 1st and 2nd rd

Reactions: Leaf Lander

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Charlie Elick is not a first round talent. You want skill and IQ in the first round. He’s big and can skate well for his size but nothing screams potential top pairing defenseman in his game.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Just saw Miroslav Satan so is eligible to be drafted this year. Same exact name but the kid is already 6'7.

Also our assistant GMs own son is also draft eligible. Jack Pridham with decent numbers in the BCHL and commited to Boston University. We got a lot of late round picks so I wonder if they use one on him if he's any good. I don't know anything about him so I can't say anything.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Just saw Miroslav Satan so is eligible to be drafted this year. Same exact name but the kid is already 6'7.

Also our assistant GMs own son is also draft eligible. Jack Pridham with decent numbers in the BCHL and commited to Boston University. We got a lot of late round picks so I wonder if they use one on him if he's any good. I don't know anything about him so I can't say anything.
Jack is a 6’2 RW who’s got good numbers in the BCHL. Probably worth a flyer. He’s ranked 70th on some lists. So maybe a 3rd/4th rounder

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Leafs should also move up and get Celebrini

Reactions: Dayjobdave

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That is not a possibility

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Should we try and make a trade to get in the low teens.
Yes. We have no picks next year and badly need an impact C or a top 4 RHD. We have guys like Robertson who may give us a crack at top 20 but typically a 2nd is 3 or 4 spots up .

Yes. We have no picks next year and badly need an impact C or a top 4 RHD. We have guys like Robertson who may give us a crack at top 20 but typically a 2nd is 3 or 4 spots up .
We traded down and took Bracco and Dermott for Konecny. Yuk. If quality is there we need to hit.Our first pick in 2025 is a fifth rounder!

Reactions: LeafSteel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad