2024 Draft Thread

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
They should make some trades for more picks and replenish the cupboards. This season is a lost cause. Good year for a mini tank, just find it funny how NBA teams understand tanking and treadmill teams better than the NHL.
If the market says sell but Leafs are not allowed to make good trades. Courtnall, Rask,Steen, Niedermayer, Couture,Kessel.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
what does everyone think about Jesse Pulkkinen?
Overager but a big 6'6 defender putting up good numbers in a men's league, and seems to being rising up some rankings lately.

would be nice to add a big blueliner with upside to the cupboard.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
what does everyone think about Jesse Pulkkinen?
Overager but a big 6'6 defender putting up good numbers in a men's league, and seems to being rising up some rankings lately.

would be nice to add a big blueliner with upside to the cupboard.

Absolutely, he is not a secret anymore though.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Doesn't matter to me who the Leafs draft.

I don't even know who any of these prospects are. The first time I'll ever see any of them play will be in the NHL. I don't have the time to keep up with anything else.

The rest of the hockey world may as well not even exist.

As is I can't even keep up with the NHL. I'm sure somebody is already calling me an uninformed fan. I don't care.

I'll freely profess my ignorance regarding a bunch of kids that probably won't make the big leagues.

The only time fans really care about these prospects is when the present is too dismal to consider anyway. So they look for anything in the future they can cling on to give hope. If this team was a real contender nobody would be wondering who they should draft.

The board would be filled with proposals sending all those picks packing for rentals instead.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't think they are keeping the pick, so I think this discussion is going to end up moot, but I'm not against keeping it because I understand that there needs to be another waive of talent coming up after the likes of Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly are no longer here.

and thankfully we have years before that happens and there does seem to be the beginnings of a 2nd waive in Cowan, Knies, Minten, and potentially Robertson, we will see about Robertson I'm not.fully convinced he's going to be here long term.

That being said the 2024 1st round pick, along with every other pick, or prospect in the organisation needs to be available nothing should be off the table.

For example if the rumours of Rasmus Andersson being available in Calgary are true you absolutely put the 2024 1st round pick on the table you do not hesitate, I live in Alberta I see that dude play you want to talk about how this team needs D he'd be a PERFECT partner for Rielly.

If you can bring in a top 6 forward with some term then that 2024 1st round pick should absolutely be on the table, especially if It's a center because then you CAN move Tavares to the wing, can't do that right now.

But that's the key, if that pick gets moved the player or players have to either come with extensions or have term.

But there is NOTHING in terms of futures that should be considered untouchable

Reactions: TMLife17

horner

May 22, 2007
Now that we still have our 1sr rd pk which I think will be the 22nd pk.

I think Treliving will trade back in the draft
Maybe with Calgary, Chicago or Montreal for there late 1st rd pk and ther late 2nd rd pk

Hopefully 2 of these dman fall in our lap
Mews
Elich
Ej Emery
Skahan

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Now that we still have our 1sr rd pk which I think will be the 22nd pk.

I think Treliving will trade back in the draft
Maybe with Calgary, Chicago or Montreal for there late 1st rd pk and ther late 2nd rd pk

Hopefully 2 of these dman fall in our lap
Mews
Elich
Ej Emery
Skahan
I think he trades up. Dubas did that too much.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If anyone believes the Leafs are going to have a pick in the first round of this draft....
So far, you are doing pretty good with your predictions!!!

------------------------

What I read about Mews, doesn't excite me a great deal.

Pulkinnen seems to be ranked early round 2 right now... but you never know.

Brunicke is late second right now.

Hate to draft for position, but at this point, maybe we should... although accepting a D is likely to be a few years away from the roster anyway.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021

------------------------

Hate to draft for position, but at this point, maybe we should... although accepting a D is likely to be a few years away from the roster anyway.
Hopefully he hasn’t been hooked into the betting yet

Reactions: HolyCrap

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
If anyone believes the Leafs are going to have a pick in the first round of this draft....
They have a first round pick in the draft.

------------------------

We will by no means pass up on a Cowan type but yeah we are in a bit of bind.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

------------------------

I saw Mews the other day and he's very good. A lot to like about his game. Great skater with obviously a very good skill level that projects well. 2nd in scoring on the 67s. There's a lot to like about his potential but he's obviously pretty average sized at 6' but he's not lightweight at all at 185 lbs as an 18 year old. His defensive game/consistency is something that will need work and a big reason he's dropping towards being a late 1st selection. He was pinned as a top 10 prospect for the draft this time last year.

He's probably got that Dante Fabbro level potential.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Mews seems pretty average size to me
Average is 6 1.54, 203 lbs. He's 6'0" 185... Call it whatever you want, but in either case, wouldn't you agree that he really isn't what we need?

I saw Mews the other day and he's very good. A lot to like about his game. Great skater with obviously a very good skill level that projects well. 2nd in scoring on the 67s. There's a lot to like about his potential but he's obviously pretty average sized at 6' but he's not lightweight at all at 185 lbs as an 18 year old. His defensive game/consistency is something that will need work and a big reason he's dropping towards being a late 1st selection. He was pinned as a top 10 prospect for the draft this time last year.

He's probably got that Dante Fabbro level potential.
Sure, but like I've said, that's probably what we need, even if he hits.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Average is 6 1.54, 203 lbs. He's 6'0" 185... Call it whatever you want, but in either case, wouldn't you agree that he really isn't what we need?

Are we really going to look at the size of a player to determine how good and efficient they can be without even looking at what they can do? Like I get the sentiment but it's a wrong one. Draft a good player and their size won't matter.

6' and 185 is bigger than Cale Makar. It's about an inch shorter than Rasmus Andersson but the same weight. Exact same size as Charlie McAvoy.

We don't want good players? You looked at their size and determined they weren't needed. That's just not how it works or how it should work. Most players at that point of the draft will have some holes in their game, if not multiple holes.

Gimme points about their game and Mews has some ups and downs, not about their size especially if they aren't even small in the first place.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Are we really going to look at the size of a player to determine how good and efficient they can be without even looking at what they can do? Like I get the sentiment but it's a wrong one. Draft a good player and their size won't matter.

6' and 185 is bigger than Cale Makar.

We don't want good players?
You want a D with Liljegren, Niemela and Mews? Along with Rielly? That's the problem, most of our D already fit this mold in prospects... Niemela, Kokkonen, Villeneuve... are all somewhat similar.

You need balance in your prospect system. At our pick, the difference between a few guys isn't going to be very much... so if you have Mews ranked slightly higher than Emery... and you need an Emery, you pick the Emery. Sure, if Mews is way ahead of other options... maybe you go for him.

"His offensive game hasn’t exploded like many hoped it would,"

"I see a prospect with good tools who doesn’t do nearly enough with them. He shows flashes of a strong offensive defenseman, especially with his good hands and shot. Other times he seems to play it a bit safe and doesn’t activate as much as he could."

Mews is another player on this list who has loads of room for more consistent detail defensively,

I just think we are at the point, where we have plenty of skilled wingers, and plenty of offensive minded, small/average size D... We need C's, or some bigger D, to balance out our prospect systems.. .it's been a blindspot. Hage is a C I'd hope they are looking at too.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You want a D with Liljegren, Niemela and Mews? Along with Rielly? That's the problem, most of our D already fit this mold in prospects... Niemela, Kokkonen, Villeneuve... are all somewhat similar.

You need balance in your prospect system. At our pick, the difference between a few guys isn't going to be very much... so if you have Mews ranked slightly higher than Emery... and you need an Emery, you pick the Emery. Sure, if Mews is way ahead of other options... maybe you go for him.

"His offensive game hasn’t exploded like many hoped it would,"

"I see a prospect with good tools who doesn’t do nearly enough with them. He shows flashes of a strong offensive defenseman, especially with his good hands and shot. Other times he seems to play it a bit safe and doesn’t activate as much as he could."

Mews is another player on this list who has loads of room for more consistent detail defensively,

I just think we are at the point, where we have plenty of skilled wingers, and plenty of offensive minded, small/average size D... We need C's, or some bigger D, to balance out our prospect systems.. .it's been a blindspot. Hage is a C I'd hope they are looking at too.

This is a conversation that happens every time the draft is near. Every time. It's not about drafting for what you need, it's about drafting the better player. If there's a "big" player available that projects to be great then sure... but removing options just because of what you need or their size is just bad for the team.

The balance doesn't really matter because that player is at least 2-4 years away from making any sort of impact at the NHL level at the minimum. In that time teams change -- players move on, players develop and players grow. What doesn't change is a need in drafting the best possible player at that time. We drafted Cowan despite having many "small skilled" players and many thought it was an overreach bad pick... and now he's untouchable. This is why you have trades and you have signings, to supplement your team in whatever it needs.

Mews is 7th in all of OHL D scoring -- 3rd among draft eligible D and the youngest of the group. I'm not sure I can take that seriously that his offense hasn't "exploded like many hoped" when he's obviously among the top of the scoring leaders among D on a pretty average team.

"Mews isn’t the most spectacular player you’ll ever see, but he’s the kind of very reliable two-way defenseman that coaches will feed minutes to. He’s very intelligent at both ends of the ice. He skates well and can both skate and pass pucks out of trouble."

"I can confidently say that Mews might have the highest upside out of any defencemen in the class. When breaking down every trait I look for in a young athlete, I struggle to find many flaws and things that Mews isn't capable of doing at an elite level. Henry has consistently been the best 2006-born defender in Ontario, along with Sam Dickinson, and I still think these two are far above the rest of the pack. They are very different players who will bring a different style of play to pro hockey, but both are elite in their own respects."

Here's an actual scouting report for Mews that I think it's a lot more fair that showcases a lot of great things he does but also the bad, which is definitely an issue and part of the reason he's ranked where he is:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad