GDT: 2023 Running Preseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think KJ needs to be the play driver on his line, the one with the puck on his stick in the zone setting others up, which means no JG or Laine. I wouldn't mind seeing him with Jenner and Bemstrom.
But Vincent is like Lars. Laine with Gaudreau. The End.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
It seems Laine could really use Texier's help and JG - Fantilli is more complementary than JG - Laine or KJ - Fantilli. KJ hasn't been clicking with other skill guys yet so let's try him with Jenner.
The bolded from your text is what has started already to worry me a bit. Although it has been a bit like that with Laine as well. Although now it seems that Laine has been doing better with them as a center. But of course pre-season games might not tell too much anyway. Just a bit worrying that KJ, didn’t seem to click too well with any of the skill guys already last season, and now the same has been pretty much continuing in this pre-season.

It has made me even a bit question if he really has as high hockey IQ as I and many others here have thought before. High hockey IQ guys usually find a way to click together, even if at first they don’t do so well with some other skill guys. But the true hockey smarts usually start to help at least gradually for high hockey IQ players to play well with each others. I think there was already some good signs of that this per-season between Gaudreau and Laine. I in fact believe that they will at least gradually become a very good fit together.

But it would be very important to see KJ working well with some skill guys, as that could really make it possible for Columbus to have two lines that could be dominating and offensively very efficient. Right now its’s looking just a bit worrying with KJ, but of course he is still very young and the talent is definitely undeniable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Napoli

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
But Vincent is like Lars. Laine with Gaudreau. The End.
They are both that caliber talents that it will eventually work really well. I know you don’t seem to like them together at all, but the thing is that they are the players with the highest offensive hockey IQ in the team. Players like that will eventually click really well if they get to play enough together, and can eventually make Columbus have that kind of great offensive threat that many other NHL teams might not have at all. That can be a great asset really.

Of course the other lines need to work as well. But I at least believe that one super line and other pretty good and balanced lines will always be better than four of the good and balanced lines. I think this is exactly the reason why coaches want to keep playing Gaudreau and Laine together - at least occasionally. If you want to have great offence, you have to play your clearly best offensive players together. Not maybe always, but relatively often anyway.

Last edited:

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
The bolded from your text is what has started already to worry me a bit. Although it has been a bit like that with Laine as well. Although now it seems that Laine has been doing better with them as a center. But of course pre-season games might not tell too much anyway. Just a bit worrying that KJ, didn’t seem to click too well with any of the skill guys already last season, and now the same has been pretty much continuing in this pre-season.

It has made me even a bit question if he really has as high hockey IQ as I and many others here have thought before. High hockey IQ guys usually find a way to click together, even if at first they don’t do so well with some other skill guys. But the true hockey smarts usually start to help at least gradually for high hockey IQ players to play well with each others. I think there was already some good signs of that this per-season between Gaudreau and Laine. I in fact believe that they will at least gradually become a very good fit together.

But it would be very important to see KJ working well with some skills guys, as that could really make it possible for Columbus to have two lines that could be dominating and offensively very efficient. Right now its’s looking just a bit worrying with KJ, but of course he is still very young and the talent is definitely undeniable.
I saw him avoiding contact which is really concerning. He needs to fight and battle in corners or get way better in open ice if he wants to reach his potential. Maybe he'd be more effective at center? Either way I haven't been super impressed with him and I'm very high on his potential to become a great player. Hopefully it's just preseason casualness.

Reactions: Ippenator

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They are both that caliber talents that it will eventually work really well. I know you don’t seem to like them together at all, but the thing is that they are the players with the highest offensive hockey IQ in the team. Players like that will eventually click really well if they get to play enough together, and can eventually make Columbus have that kind of great offensive threat that many other NHL teams might not have at all. That can be a great asset really.

Of course the other lines need to work as well. But I at least believe that one super line and other pretty good and balanced lines will always be better than four of the good and balanced lines. I think this is exactly the reason why coaches want to keep playing Gaudreau and Laine together - at least occasionaly. If you want to have great offence, you have to play your clearly best offensive players together. Not maybe always, but relatively often anyway.

No amount of chemistry and IQ is going to make them better at recovering loose pucks and battling below the goal line. They need to be with complementary pieces.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
To continue a bit on the subject... I kinda see the KJ-Fantilli logic. Aggressive shooting center and less physical skilled playmaker. Just don't see what Sillinger is doing there. Tex feels like a great fit, but even Roslovic...would bring more the table
Let me make this clear, the only line Roslovic would bring more to the table on is the concession line.

Reactions: Jovavic

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
No amount of chemistry and IQ is going to make them better at recovering loose pucks and battling below the goal line. They need to be with complementary pieces.
That much I agree that they will need one player who is very good with those things in their line, if they are playing together. But still it’s wasting offensive potential, if you don’t play the highest offensive IQ players with at least one other player who has the same quality offensive IQ and instincts.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That much I agree that they will need one player who is very good with those things in their line, if they are playing together. But still its’s wasting offensive potential, if you don’t play the highest offensive IQ players with at least one other player who has the same quality offensive IQ and instincts.

I think Texier or maybe Fantilli would really help them in that department.

But another problem is that there is only one puck and these guys really love to feel it on their stick. It leads to really slow play when everyone wants to hold it.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Why are so many young guys anti contact. Fantilli is great in that aspect. Kent needs to stop avoiding contact and win more battles.
AP in his podcast mentioned KJ91 was about ten pounds heavier this year. Thought that would help him :(

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
KJ is a guy you want rolling off checks and avoiding contact, he'll stick check and be fine in that department.

The only disappointing thing from KJ in pre -season was that we didn't see much special passing, really only the one set up for Danforth. Not a lot of creation in general. But it's pre-season.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
People still put way too much value on pre season.

We really have no clue on what kind of year any player is going to have

Reactions: majormajor

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think Texier or maybe Fantilli would really help them in that department.

But another problem is that there is only one puck and these guys really love to feel it on their stick. It leads to really slow play when everyone wants to hold it.
I pretty much agree again. But I do believe that they are still both that good with their hockey smarts that through playing together more and discussing more about the plays together, they will start to adapt with their playing when they are together on the ice.

Time will tell eventually if it happens, as long as they get at least relatively often to play together. I don’t expect or even want them to play constantly together, but it could still be an asset - a bit in a way how Edmonton plays McDavid and Draisaitl together, in some tough spots when they really need goals, or Colorado does with MacKinnon and Rantanen.

Sure those teams have probably the best offensive duos in the league with those players and I’m not claiming that Gaudreau and Laine would be on that level. But at least something more towards it and probably better than most teams have anyway. But they will definitely need the right kind of puck hound with them. That I absolutely agree with.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
AP in his podcast mentioned KJ91 was about ten pounds heavier this year. Thought that would help him :(
That can in fact make the beginning of the season a bit more difficult for him, because it usually means at least somekind of adjusting with the skating because of the increased weight.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
JG and Laine together is different than in the past. Laine has different responsibilities as a center and quite frankly is not elite at his new position compared to his more familiar position.

I’m not sure who’s the best fit with them but I think this is the coach giving a center a top wing to encourage success.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Roslovic brings decent transtional ability and middle six level scoring. We have 3 season sample of that. I dont think there's a role for someone like Roslo in a steady playoff team, but let's not pretend he has no good qualities
Not buying it, I think he's a net negative on the ice. Not sure what the stats show but seems to me he hurts his team more than he helps it. He skates well, he has good puck handling skills and no hockey sense or hockey IQ.n I would rather have less skilled hard working player who isn't a turnover machine.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
JG and Laine together is different than in the past. Laine has different responsibilities as a center and quite frankly is not elite at his new position compared to his more familiar position.

I’m not sure who’s the best fit with them but I think this is the coach giving a center a top wing to encourage success.

See I'd say Laine was more elite at center than he was at wing!

And he scored well with all of his linemates in pre-season. I didn't think he needed Gaudreau.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Not buying it, I think he's a net negative on the ice. Not sure what the stats show but seems to me he hurts his team more than he helps it. He skates well, he has good puck handling skills and no hockey sense or hockey IQ.n I would rather have less skilled hard working player who isn't a turnover machine.
I absolutely agree with everything here. 100% how I see Roslovic as a player. He’s a likable guy definitely, but he has too much weaknesses to be a good NHL player unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
See I'd say Laine was more elite at center than he was at wing!

And he scored well with all of his linemates in pre-season. I didn't think he needed Gaudreau.
If he plays in the regular season as a center like he has played through the pre-season, he is also in my opinion better as a center than a winger. And might start to get even recocgnition as an elite center. But it has to happen first. Even how good he was as a center in the pre-season games, it will mean nothing, if he can’t play that way as a center when the season has started. We will see soon, and it will be definitely interesting to see how it goes after all.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If he plays in the regular season as a center like he has played through the pre-season, he is also in my opinion better as a center than a winger. And might start to get even recocgnition as an elite center. But it has to happen first. Even how good he was as a center in the pre-season games, it will mean nothing, if he can’t play that way as a center when the season has started. We will see soon, and it will be definitely interesting to see how it goes after all.

For sure, we'll see when the hard checking starts.

I'm just pushing back on the idea that this has been a difficult transition in pre-season for Patty. He had a very very good pre-season run at center and played better than he normally did at wing.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Laine needs to get used to some things he needs to know as a center. And I sincerely doubt that in 6 games he can know it at Barkov's level. With that said, we're already seeing good defense, positional play, including in his own DZ (hello Roslo). Of course, he thinks about more in attack, but that's normal. In my opinion, it's a matter of a few games. Just FO... . :facepalm:

Regarding Johnson, maybe he's getting used to the new weight, 10 pounds is no small thing for a technical player. I remember. As Roenick once said how he had trouble when he put on weight, to get stronger he had to lose weight. Maybe Kent has similar problems.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
1696800436445.png

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Still remains to be seen. I'd like to have seen more o zone possession and more creation of offense but maybe he's just taking it easy? We'll have a better idea after 10 or so games.

Reactions: majormajor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad