GDT: 2023 Running Preseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
- ELVIS WAS GREAT!
- Once Vincent replaced Sillinger with Marchenko, both lines improved, as if they gained new energy.
Ironically, Jenner's line scored a goal after a beautiful combination and Laine's line scored a goal after Laine and Sillinger won a battle.
- Fantilli scored a nice goal, played very well in the third period.
- I won't rate Bean and Werenski, like Danforth's, they are coming off injuries.
- Our centers - Jenner, Laine, Fantilli, Kurally, I think.
- Interesting, what with Roslovic? Bemstrom, Sillinger, Marchenko are ideal. In the court line probably Olivier. We have Chinakhov and Voronkov.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
It's only preseason but that can build some confidence going into the season. They didn't play that well but they did enough in spurts and the team structure on the ice was better than what we saw at any time last season. A bit sloppy at times but guys seemed to know where other guys were on the ice and the other guys are getting to where they are suppose to be. The goalie was steadier. Our coach made a couple in game moves that were successful too. Start the season playing hard, play as a team, play 60 minutes, continue to improve. I think we got all of this tonight. I believe Laine playing up the middle solidifies things. Jiricek didn't look out of place on the top line. Lets see what moves they decide to make to get to our final roster. I'm hopeful. I think we can be better than I thought we could be.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I do not have access to Bally sports any more - how do you folks watch the games? is their a channel that streams the games & what do they charge for the subscription? Any issues with blackouts in the Columbus viewing area?

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Does Texier ever lose a puck battle? The guy is incredible

Is it me or does Elvis always play well against the Caps?

lol well I got some news for ya.

elvis has a 3.88 GAA and a .875 save percentage in 4 career regular season games against the capitals.

to dive even further, out of all teams that elvis has faced 4 or more times.. his 3.88 GAA against the Caps is the 2nd highest of all opponents (his highest GAA is against the penguins which is an amazing 4.26 GAA)

so yea.. it is just you. (other than tonight lol)

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016

Great too see Elvis playing better and Jiricik in the top 4!!

Despite that horrendos turnover at the end I must admit Patty is looking good at C, just watch his first two shifts at the biginnig of the game.

Fantilli will outscore Bedard this season, kid already flies and will dominate physically when he fills out.

Great pushback from Jennear and Gudbransson after the hit on Fantilli. THIS is why he needs to be in the lineup if Olivier is out!!!!

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The preseason is not the regular season. It will also be very interesting to see what the actual lineup looks like for game 1.

It seems we still have tons of question marks at different positions and we’re going into the season not really knowing what we have or what line combos and D pairings actually work or not.

Vincent is going to have to adjust within the 1st 3-5 games.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Werenski - Jiricek & Provorov - Severson is a very solid top 4. You can see it the quality too, they are calm on the puck, especially Severson, he impressed. That should be the starting top 4. No more Peeke, Boqvist, Bean slotted into spots they can't play. Bean sucks btw, I realize he's been out forever but there's no way he should be playing come Wednesday.

Since Gudbranson has to play for some reason, I'd start like this:

Werenski - Jiricek
Provorov - Severson
Blanks - Gud

Jiricek was mostly non eventful in this game, for better and worse. He didn't get burned but I still have some concerns with his defensive technique. How will he look against a faster team?

I think he can help us in a lot of ways right now. That's a very strong passing group of D- men, I'm excited for it. But he's also still raw and could add a lot of core strength. I'd probably be inclined to start him in Cleveland until he gets a little better, and hopefully Jarmo can clear some roster space by then.

Edit: I forgot to add that we don't seem to be using him on the PP at all in pre-season. There is a school of thought that young players should wait their turn for PP minutes but in Jiricek's case I think that's criminal. We either have to send him down or let him point the PP.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Assuming Sillinger and co. make the team, does Vincent go with the lines that have been working (JG-Laine-Marchenko) or the lines that worked tonight?

I don't know if they really worked before or tonight.

Like KJ-Fantilli seems to me to be less than the sum of its parts.

Same with Gaudreau and Laine, it's basically Laine carrying whoever is around and Gaudreau isn't in a position to provide a lot of value. Although maybe that's just a pre-season thing. Laine has had more to prove in the pre-season than Gaudreau. I suppose I'd try them to start the season.

The 4th line has sucked but again not much to prove there.

I have really enjoyed Tex - Jenner - Bemstrom.

Gaudreau - Laine - Fantilli
Texier - Jenner - Bemstrom
Marchenko - KJ - Danforth
Robinson - Kuraly - Roslovic/Olivier

Reactions: Bookker

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I have some hope for Sillinger after that goal. His first two periods were full of turnovers, the passing is just off right now. Maybe he cleans that up soon, maybe he doesn't.

Either way the waiver exemption is gone in a few games. After that there is no going back.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Same with Gaudreau and Laine, it's basically Laine carrying whoever is around and Gaudreau isn't in a position to provide a lot of value. Although maybe that's just a pre-season thing. Laine has had more to prove in the pre-season than Gaudreau. I suppose I'd try them to start the season.

Fantilli will play center. You know it, every of us knows it. Johnson has lack of strength to play center. Roslovic in the fourth line... there are other type players needed. Sillinger earns his spot, he is similar case like Bemström.
Hope Voronkov will be ready soon and Chinakhov health.
Jarmo, JD and Vincent are in difficult situation.

EDIT: Correct me if I am wrong but I think Laine made the most dirty work in this line in this game minimum. Play without the puck very well. But he pass too much and FO... :facepalm:

Last edited:

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
lol well I got some news for ya.

elvis has a 3.88 GAA and a .875 save percentage in 4 career regular season games against the capitals.

to dive even further, out of all teams that elvis has faced 4 or more times.. his 3.88 GAA against the Caps is the 2nd highest of all opponents (his highest GAA is against the penguins which is an amazing 4.26 GAA)

so yea.. it is just you. (other than tonight lol)
Well Elvis and consistency just isn't a thing but I do remember him stealing a game for Columbus in that building somewhat recently. Even if he did give up 3 goals.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
It seems we still have tons of question marks at different positions and we’re going into the season not really knowing what we have or what line combos and D pairings actually work or not.

Vincent is going to have to adjust within the 1st 3-5 games.
That was one of my main takeaways from this game and preseason in general. I'm hopeful that some combos they've tried out will work fine in regular season but there are certainly question marks.

They should be much better at breakouts and transporting pucks from one end to the other, and I feel good about rush defense. Gaining possession in the oz and closing down passing seams/keeping coverage in dz with a stationary "protect the middle" system are very likely going to be problems. I'm not saying they can't win with this system and roster but if they don't improve at either of these aspects of team play, it's going to be another long season for all of us. That is my early prediction.

When it comes to F line combinations, I'm afraid there won't be a perfect solution to the puzzle that would make each line effective. Some lines are going to get outshot and outchanced at 5v5 regardless.

That said, based on what we've seen, I think Laine isn't an ideal fit with JG. He's taken steps towards being a more complete player and legit C option, I'll give him credit for that, but his speed and often slow decision-making still make him very dependent on quick and strong cycle players. I think he needs either Fantilli, Danforth or Texier on his side.

I'd try JG with Fantilli on opening night, it was my preference prior to training camp. Let JG do most of the playmaking and Fantilli create space for him and the other wing. Marchenko would be the other wing, as his relatively quick decision-making could allow JG have more puck touches than JG would have with KJ or Laine.

Whatever line Jenner plays on, he will obviously need speedsters on his wings. I guess Danforth qualifies for that role. Bemstrom doesn't have great straight line speed which is required for a forecheck to be good but he's agile and has definitely deserved his spot in the lineup. If KJ falls to the third line, I'd like to have him with Laine and Texier.

4th line will consist of Robinson and Kuraly and the third guy who will likely be Olivier as soon as he's healthy.

JG - Fantilli - Marchenko
Texier/KJ - Laine - Bemstrom/Danforth
Texier/KJ - Jenner - Bemstrom/Danforth
Robinson - Kuraly - Olivier

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That was one of my main takeaways from this game and preseason in general. I'm hopeful that some combos they've tried out will work fine in regular season but there are certainly question marks.

They should be much better at breakouts and transporting pucks from one end to the other, and I feel good about rush defense. Gaining possession in the oz and closing down passing seams/keeping coverage in dz with a stationary "protect the middle" system are very likely going to be problems. I'm not saying they can't win with this system and roster but if they don't improve at either of these aspects of team play, it's going to be another long season for all of us. That is my early prediction.

When it comes to F line combinations, I'm afraid there won't be a perfect solution to the puzzle that would make each line effective. Some lines are going to get outshot and outchanced at 5v5 regardless.

That said, based on what we've seen, I think Laine isn't an ideal fit with JG. He's taken steps towards being a more complete player and legit C option, I'll give him credit for that, but his speed and often slow decision-making still make him very dependent on quick and strong cycle players. I think he needs either Fantilli, Danforth or Texier on his side.

I'd try JG with Fantilli on opening night, it was my preference prior to training camp. Let JG do most of the playmaking and Fantilli create space for him and the other wing. Marchenko would be the other wing, as his relatively quick decision-making could allow JG have more puck touches than JG would have with KJ or Laine.

Whatever line Jenner plays on, he will obviously need speedsters on his wings. I guess Danforth qualifies for that role. Bemstrom doesn't have great straight line speed which is required for a forecheck to be good but he's agile and has definitely deserved his spot in the lineup. If KJ falls to the third line, I'd like to have him with Laine and Texier.

4th line will consist of Robinson and Kuraly and the third guy who will likely be Olivier as soon as he's healthy.

It seems Laine could really use Texier's help and JG - Fantilli is more complementary than JG - Laine or KJ - Fantilli. KJ hasn't been clicking with other skill guys yet so let's try him with Jenner.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

I think Laine needs a few more games to get used to the new spot. He's playing very well defensively and without the puck, but some of the offensive decisions are still less than ideal. That will come though. I don't know how they figured out that Gaudreau is the perfect player for him when they played better without him last season, much like they did the season before last without Voráček. Too bad Chinakhov is injured, he got along very well with him and Yegor could be a similar player to Bjorkstrand.

Danforth... I don't know. He's a good forechecker though, very fast fighter, but that's about it. Ideal for the 4th line or the line like the Coleman -- Gourde -- Goodrow line.

Somehow I doubt Vincent will change the Texier -- Jenner -- Bemstrom line, at least the Texier -- Jenner pairing. Sillinger could theoretically play with them. Although he fits with Laine as well. Also Foudy can suprise.

But one thing is for sure, this was just preseason, the real hockey starts on Thursday (Friday for me). And that's where everything can change.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Zdá sa, že Laine by skutočne mohol využiť Texierovu pomoc a JG - Fantilli sa viac dopĺňa ako JG - Laine alebo KJ - Fantilli. KJ ešte neklikal s inými šikovnosťami, tak to skúsme s Jennerom.
Možno Texier -- Laine -- Sillinger a Johnson -- Jenner -- Bemström. Neskôr Chinakhov a Voronkov.

Last edited:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

Fantilli should play C and there’s no way I’m splitting 86 - 29 - 13 now

Bookker

Sep 17, 2010
I think the Tex - Boone - Emil line won't be break, at least for the firsts couples of games
They have been our best line overall this last game
Not suprising if they led the TOI

Especially the Tex - Boone pair
To me at their best they probably are amongst the best (unknown/underrated) forechecking+ pairs of the NHL :sarcasm:

It's a line you can put confidently on the ice against the best opponent line and also at the same time hope for a regular offensive production (if Bemstrom can keep his contribution high)

A bit like the hot streak of the Tex - Kuraly - Robinson line 2 years ago, but even better
Guess who is the x factor ?
Spoiler : it starts with TEX and it ends with IER :laugh:

This guy (Vincent) don't deny it either :naughty:

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think the Tex - Boone - Emil line won't be break, at least for the firsts couples of games

To me at their best they probably are amongst the best (unknown/underrated) forechecking+ pairs of the NHL :sarcasm:

It's a line you can put confidently on the ice against the best opponent line and also at the same time hope for a regular offensive production (if Bemstrom can keep his contribution high)

A bit like the hot streak of the Tex - Kuraly - Robinson line 2 years ago, but even better
Spoiler : it starts with TEX and it ends with IER :naughty: :laugh:

I like that line but until we figure out how to clone Texier (the damn cloning machine is broken) we need him on other lines too. He was a big help to Laine I thought. Do we want one great forechecking line or do we want all lines to have some forechecking ability?

Fantilli should play C and there’s no way I’m splitting 86 - 29 - 13 now

Is 86 - 29 - 13 really better than the sum of its parts? I think the line needs help on retrievals, when the puck goes below the goal line.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Jiricek was mostly non eventful in this game, for better and worse. He didn't get burned but I still have some concerns with his defensive technique. How will he look against a faster team?

I think he can help us in a lot of ways right now. That's a very strong passing group of D- men, I'm excited for it. But he's also still raw and could add a lot of core strength. I'd probably be inclined to start him in Cleveland until he gets a little better, and hopefully Jarmo can clear some roster space by then.

Edit: I forgot to add that we don't seem to be using him on the PP at all in pre-season. There is a school of thought that young players should wait their turn for PP minutes but in Jiricek's case I think that's criminal. We either have to send him down or let him point the PP.
I think having a capable defenseman next to Z is the real win. Even if he could learn more things in the AHL, Jiricek offers way more assurances than Peeke, Boqvist and Bean. For that alone I think you keep him up here, if he struggles you replace with him Blankenburg whom I also really like next to Z.

The PP thing is interesting, if he's truly as good as you say he is, I'm sure he'll eventually get his chance and stick. There are a lot of other players that could/should get their chance before imo.

Reactions: Easternbull

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023

Spoiler : it starts with TEX and it ends with IER :laugh:

This guy (Vincent) don't deny it either :naughty:

I'm not convinced on Bemstrom, at least not long term. For me he needs to show more consistency winning puck battles. I'm happy he's getting a real chance though, hopefully he performs.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It seems Laine could really use Texier's help and JG - Fantilli is more complementary than JG - Laine or KJ - Fantilli. KJ hasn't been clicking with other skill guys yet so let's try him with Jenner.
I think KJ needs to be the play driver on his line, the one with the puck on his stick in the zone setting others up, which means no JG or Laine. I wouldn't mind seeing him with Jenner and Bemstrom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad