GDT: 2023 Regular Season Thread

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Update re: that suspended game Monday, while it looked almost certain to happen 2 days ago, only way it happens now is if the Dbacks win Sunday and the Marlins lose. Any other combination and the game doesn't matter so Mets win 1-0 in 8.

Reactions: Marc the Habs Fan

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Seems like the Dodgers this entire season have been flying low as they casually stroll to another 100 win year.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
What sucks is Toronto should lose on purpose to avoid TB/Baltimore path. If Houston loses they have no choice but Houston is still playing for the division. I either want the division or avoid TB. Say Toronto loses. Houston sees Texas is losing so Houston tries and has the lead/win. Then Texas gets a comeback win. Houston jumps Toronto and they end up playing TB. Perhaps opponents won't matter in playoffs because anything can happen but still.

Reactions: SwordsgoneWild

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
So basically for tomorrow in the AL:

Rangers win: They are AL West champs

Rangers lose and Astros win: Astros AL West champs, Rangers 2nd WC, Blue Jays 3rd WC

Rangers lose and Astros lose: Rangers AL West champs, Blue Jays 2nd WC, Astros 3rd WC

The Jays win a tie-break with the Astros for a WC spot and lose it to the Rangers.

I fully expect TOR will do what they can to avoid TB/BAL and tank Sunday's game. Not that I think they matchup all that well against the Twins with Lopez and Gray awaiting to start games 1 and 2.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
So basically for tomorrow in the AL:

Rangers win: They are AL West champs

Rangers lose and Astros win: Astros AL West champs, Rangers 2nd WC, Blue Jays 3rd WC

Rangers lose and Astros lose: Rangers AL West champs, Blue Jays 2nd WC, Astros 3rd WC

The Jays win a tie-break with the Astros for a WC spot and lose it to the Rangers.

I fully expect TOR will do what they can to avoid TB/BAL and tank Sunday's game. Not that I think they matchup all that well against the Twins with Lopez and Gray awaiting to start games 1 and 2.
Yeah I think Toronto will lose on purpose but would TB prefer Toronto or Houston/Texas? Maybe TB tries to lose on purpose as well lol.

Also classy Arizona 👍 👏

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
What sucks is Toronto should lose on purpose to avoid TB/Baltimore path. If Houston loses they have no choice but Houston is still playing for the division. I either want the division or avoid TB. Say Toronto loses. Houston sees Texas is losing so Houston tries and has the lead/win. Then Texas gets a comeback win. Houston jumps Toronto and they end up playing TB. Perhaps opponents won't matter in playoffs because anything can happen but still.
Same. I want no part of Tampa or the Trop. But if it comes to it then so be it.. Would be our 3rd series against them in 5 seasons. 1-1 so far.

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
I would also like to say even though I prefer the division or Twins over TB, not saying Twins will be easy. Don't they have some good starters? And their playoff luck is bound to change.
Yeah their top 3 isgood. Lopez,Gray,Ryan. That's who they will probably trot out there if I had to guess. I think they also have Maeda but I have no clue how he has fared this year.plus we would have to watch out for Playoff Correa. Not a tempting prospect..

Come to think of it, I dont know who would be #3. Ryan is their future but Maeda has the PO experience. I don't really follow them that closely anymore. Would have to look into it.

Last edited:

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Funny, my favorite AL team is the Mariners, but my 2nd favorite NL team is the Reds, so only one can be helped out by the Houston/Arizona series. Cheering for Arizona that series though cause overall I like the Mariners more, and for the Reds, no team that loses series AT HOME to both the Cardinals and Pirates in the thick of a playoff race the final month deserves to go to the playoffs.
With both of them being eliminated today, their seasons were similar. Quite mediocre outside of mid May through early June for the Reds and July and August for the Mariners. Reds September collapse was worse though since they had an easier schedule. However, this season was a step back for the M's from 2022, while nobody expected the Reds to be good this season, and while I don't think they'll be as good in 2024 as the O's this year, they do remind me of the 2022 O's.

The M's needed an extra bat at the trade deadline, and their so/so start might've made them hesitant to go for it.

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
Atlanta has been stealing the headlines in the NL, Dodgers are there but not hyped up as previous years.

I think that’s better for them.
The Dodgers are also consistent playoff failures, minus their covid-tournament title. They get hyped up every year only to find a way to lose to somebody in the postseason.

Not surprising with the Mariners. Every year the baseball media slobbers all over them that this is the year they make that big move - and they never do. This year also seemed like a good chance with the Astros looking semi-human and not running away with the division.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
I listened to Wainwright's performance and other than maybe how his voice could be stronger, it doesn't sound that much worse than the other country songs

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Is Miggy the last remaining active player from the 2003 season??? (Not just the Marlins team that won the championship). I honestly don’t know anyone else. Nelson Cruz is older than Miggy but Cruz didn’t make his MLB debut until 2005 when he was already 25.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Is Miggy the last remaining active player from the 2003 season??? (Not just the Marlins team that won the championship). I honestly don’t know anyone else. Nelson Cruz is older than Miggy but Cruz didn’t make his MLB debut until 2005 when he was already 25.
Yes I Believe so. Grienke’s first season was 2004. Rich Hill is the oldest at 43 and he, Cruz and Verlander didn’t make their debuts until 2005.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yes. pretty sure he's also the last active player who faced roger clemens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad