2023 QMJHL Draft

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
A post that hasn't age to well! Prud'homme, who according to that gentleman wasn't good enough for M18AAA ended up being drated 8th OVERALL! You should apologize to this 16 year old kid and his family for this dirty post.

Finally, what round was drafted YOUR great prospect... For my part, I will be respectful and avoid naming him.

To be honest, Carbonneau is actually great, played in a #1 role on Amos all year and was a bright spot at the QMJHL Cup too. Would have picked him much earlier than where he was drafted...

Prud'homme, however, is one of the safest bets and most ready players to play in the Q. Not necessarily a guy that will dominate and produce huge amounts, but the type of guy that competes hard and that you want on your team.

Reactions: Prospect Tracker

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
How come Wheeler slipped (#39) lower than anticipated? Did I miss something?
I thought the same thing...I also thought saint john would have nabbed him after he fell...I wonder if he had a bad interview with teams or if he let teams know something about potentially going else where to play?

Big Daddie

Dec 12, 2022
I thought the same thing...I also thought saint john would have nabbed him after he fell...I wonder if he had a bad interview with teams or if he let teams know something about potentially going else where to play?
Several people seemed to have slipped and at least two who were in the top 40 selected to go to the Quebec tournament didn't get drafted at all . Both I think may be going to prep schools next year but certainly deserve to be drafted . A good organization could change the minds of some of these guys who may be on the fence and some talented players are being missed . Is this a form of punishment for not commiting to the Q ?

RantAndRoarNL

Nov 30, 2022
Several people seemed to have slipped and at least two who were in the top 40 selected to go to the Quebec tournament didn't get drafted at all . Both I think may be going to prep schools next year but certainly deserve to be drafted . A good organization could change the minds of some of these guys who may be on the fence and some talented players are being missed . Is this a form of punishment for not commiting to the Q ?
Most of the NL drafted kids moved up from the CSR list.

Q Summary

256 Total

188 (73.4%) QC
26 (10.2%) NS
21 (8.2%) NB
8 (3.1%) NL
7 (2.7%) PEI
6 (2.3%) other

% split by Prov this yr is within 1-2% of 22 yr avg (2001-2022). Based on data from Q site draft lists, not 100% accurate but close enough.

11 kids (approx 9%) of 120 who attended the Apr Q Cup were not drafted. So approx 147 kids drafted ahead of those 11, CSR and teams must have been really far apart on those 11.

6-QC
2-NL
1-NS
1-NB
1-PEI

RantAndRoarNL

Nov 30, 2022

QCM18AAA

Nov 30, 2022
Punishment? If you're a top player they will try and get you to change your mind as they drafted Morin and Kilfoil even tough they committed to USHL teams. All other players were probably unfortunately not worth the effort to convince to go the Q route.

Teams list and CSR list a are never the same. I think 2 guys set as 3rd round from CSR got picked 1st round.

TJHKY

Aug 10, 2021
There are few players C and D rating undrafted.
C rating
Zachary Bergeron, Laval-Montreal U17
Antoine Demers, Saint Eustache
William Stonehouse, Sydney Rush
Noah Boland, Pinnacle Growlers
Carson MacKenzie, Charlottetown
Jordan Shaw, Kensington Wild

D rating
Gabriel Patry, Mille Isle U17
Adam Lemay, Amos
Max D'Arcy, Steele Subaru
Josh Ingram, Steele Subaru
Aiden McCullough, Fredericton
Luke Dooley, Cole Harbour
Ben O'Brien, Pinnacle Growlers
Alex Thibault, Fredericton Caps
Austin Walker, The Mount U17
Elliot Wright, Pinnacle Growlers

Hope these players continue to develop and have a big year next year!

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Surprised that MacKenzie did not get drafted to be honest. I'm a believer that if you are able to play M18AAA in Quebec and not look out of place at 15, you should get drafted. Adam Lemay fits that.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
i wouldnt say it is a punishment for not getting drafted...when i was scouting we did extensive calls and research on players we where looking at taking even at the draft table when we drafted Maxime Clermont to call his NCAA school to see if he actually enrolled and he was, we still took him 1st round though because our goaltending coach was his summer coach and was convinced he could persuade hiou wm...you would still think though in the late rounds that players would get taken on the incase factor...I do not think teams are in the punishment ways though...because not every team would think the same...but i have no explenation for guys being missed....who was missed that you thought should have gotten drafted?

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
Definitely not punishment. Teams make the best choice they can for their team based on the information they have. They draft based on what they think kids project towards. Sometimes teams also just make bad ill informed picks as well. Many kids who are drafted will not play meaningful games. It can be blessing outside of hockey to not get drafted in some kids cases.

TJHKY

Aug 10, 2021
Most of the NL drafted kids moved up from the CSR list.

Q Summary

256 Total

188 (73.4%) QC
26 (10.2%) NS
21 (8.2%) NB
8 (3.1%) NL
7 (2.7%) PEI
6 (2.3%) other

% split by Prov this yr is within 1-2% of 22 yr avg (2001-2022). Based on data from Q site draft lists, not 100% accurate but close enough.

11 kids (approx 9%) of 120 who attended the Apr Q Cup were not drafted. So approx 147 kids drafted ahead of those 11, CSR and teams must have been really far apart on those 11.

6-QC
2-NL
1-NS
1-NB
1-PEI
PEI has 2 kids who went to Q cup and did not drafted.

Big Daddie

Dec 12, 2022
i wouldnt say it is a punishment for not getting drafted...when i was scouting we did extensive calls and research on players we where looking at taking even at the draft table when we drafted Maxime Clermont to call his NCAA school to see if he actually enrolled and he was, we still took him 1st round though because our goaltending coach was his summer coach and was convinced he could persuade hiou wm...you would still think though in the late rounds that players would get taken on the incase factor...I do not think teams are in the punishment ways though...because not every team would think the same...but i have no explenation for guys being missed....who was missed that you thought should have gotten drafted?
They definitely missed out on William Stonehouse and Noah Boland . William was on the Nova Scotia Canada Games Team so he was one of the two best goalies in the province and he was the winning goalie in the overtime game against NB . Boland as I recall , played on a line with Lane Sim and Luke Sinclair in the top prospects game in Moncton and he scored the only goal for the blue team . Also he had a goal in the Q Cup in Sheerbroke . How do you get selected to those teams and NOT get drafted .
There were some weird selections made by the Maritime teams . NOT one of them made an effort to draft Cole Chandler , the highest listed player from Atlantic Canada . One team , in the first round selected a player from Quebec who had 8 less goals than Chandler and 27 less points than Chandler . He also played 10 more games than Chandler . Chandler was ranked 7th and this guy was ranked many places lower ( I don't want to say where because I am not putting down on the player ) .

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
They definitely missed out on William Stonehouse and Noah Boland . William was on the Nova Scotia Canada Games Team so he was one of the two best goalies in the province and he was the winning goalie in the overtime game against NB . Boland as I recall , played on a line with Lane Sim and Luke Sinclair in the top prospects game in Moncton and he scored the only goal for the blue team . Also he had a goal in the Q Cup in Sheerbroke . How do you get selected to those teams and NOT get drafted .
There were some weird selections made by the Maritime teams . NOT one of them made an effort to draft Cole Chandler , the highest listed player from Atlantic Canada . One team , in the first round selected a player from Quebec who had 8 less goals than Chandler and 27 less points than Chandler . He also played 10 more games than Chandler . Chandler was ranked 7th and this guy was ranked many places lower ( I don't want to say where because I am not putting down on the player ) .

i agree that Maritimers by Quebec teams do not get a fair shake...I was pretty sure Chandler was going top 7 in the draft (easy), I also thought Owen Conrad would have gotten picked earlier and a Zach Wheeler would have been a first rounder....I do not know what it was like interviewing Stonehouse and Boland, something happened cause Halifax or Cape Breton would have been all over them and they would have been heavily scouted.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
i agree that Maritimers by Quebec teams do not get a fair shake...I was pretty sure Chandler was going top 7 in the draft (easy), I also thought Owen Conrad would have gotten picked earlier and a Zach Wheeler would have been a first rounder....I do not know what it was like interviewing Stonehouse and Boland, something happened cause Halifax or Cape Breton would have been all over them and they would have been heavily scouted.

I mean, if anything... Cape Breton is the surprising team for not picking Chandler or Conrad at 12. Chandler and Wheeler ended up on Quebec teams. Saint John (twice), Cape Breton, Charlottetown and Halifax all skipped Wheeler as well between 30 and 38 before Blainville picked him.

In the case of Chandler, I do believe that the fact that not many Maritimes teams were picking in the first round is the reason why he dropped as much as he did. There might be some teams he did not want to go to as well.

But yeah, overall, I felt like all the maritimers dropped more than the other years...

Stonehouse had a rough QMJHL Cup, but I thought he'd get picked anyway... Boland has a good offensive skillset, surprised a team did not give him a shot in the later rounds.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I mean, if anything... Cape Breton is the surprising team for not picking Chandler or Conrad at 12. Chandler and Wheeler ended up on Quebec teams. Saint John (twice), Cape Breton, Charlottetown and Halifax all skipped Wheeler as well between 30 and 38 before Blainville picked him.

In the case of Chandler, I do believe that the fact that not many Maritimes teams were picking in the first round is the reason why he dropped as much as he did. There might be some teams he did not want to go to as well.

But yeah, overall, I felt like all the maritimers dropped more than the other years...

Stonehouse had a rough QMJHL Cup, but I thought he'd get picked anyway... Boland has a good offensive skillset, surprised a team did not give him a shot in the later rounds.
I know from being a scout in the QMJHL for a long time that Quebec based scouts put a lot of stock in the Quebec based tournaments for drafting Maritimers...some teams do not even have maritime scouts and only see these guys at these tournaments.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I know from being a scout in the QMJHL for a long time that Quebec based scouts put a lot of stock in the Quebec based tournaments for drafting Maritimers...some teams do not even have maritime scouts and only see these guys at these tournaments.

To be honest I think every Q team has scouts in the maritimes at this point. Even Val d'Or had a scout at the Monctonian this year and they never draft anyone from there. Sometimes, it's actually the players that want to stay close to home too (both the QC guys and the Maritime guys), even more the last few years I feel.

Big Daddie

Dec 12, 2022

I certainly hope a player's chances of getting drafted would not be decided on a one weekend tournament . The week long Canada Winter Games tournament should have been a much more potent sign of what a kid can be as a player . A tournament in which you play against the BEST kids your own age in this country should tell you a lot more than a weekend tournament. Several maritime kids didn't do well in this tournament and apparently it didn't matter as they had good positioning in the draft . Others had great success and didn't fare off so well . Hard to understand for sure !!! There must be many other hidden factors that we are not aware of or else this drafting system is terribly flawed !!!

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I certainly hope a player's chances of getting drafted would not be decided on a one weekend tournament . The week long Canada Winter Games tournament should have been a much more potent sign of what a kid can be as a player . A tournament in which you play against the BEST kids your own age in this country should tell you a lot more than a weekend tournament. Several maritime kids didn't do well in this tournament and apparently it didn't matter as they had good positioning in the draft . Others had great success and didn't fare off so well . Hard to understand for sure !!! There must be many other hidden factors that we are not aware of or else this drafting system is terribly flawed !!!

Would not say the drafting system is flawed. Scouts can have varying opinions on players. The difference between a player that goes in the 8th round and a player that goes undrafted can be very minimal. One team might like the undrafted player more than another team's 7th round pick.

But it's true that there is a ton of other factors coming into play outside of hockey skills.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
To be honest I think every Q team has scouts in the maritimes at this point. Even Val d'Or had a scout at the Monctonian this year and they never draft anyone from there. Sometimes, it's actually the players that want to stay close to home too (both the QC guys and the Maritime guys), even more the last few years I feel.
the scouts at the monctonian are not just Maritime based scouts...tons of scouts from quebec come to the monctonian and ice jam and are limited to maritimers in just tournaments like that

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
trust me i been in the league a long time...the drafting system is VERY flawed...not a lot of maritme scouts compared to quebec based scouts...i remember being in talks with our team when some scouts wanted to trade the pick away because there was not many good french players at that position...some lower budget QMJHL teams only see maritime teams at big tournaments like monctonian, ice jam, the few that go to Quebec and this year they had the canada games...you have teams that tell players to play NCAA route until they step up...so ya the drafting is flawed...

hockeylife11

May 10, 2018
Quebec never played for 2 years due to Covid. NL, NS, NB & PEI managed to salvage part of their seasons during Covid with no tournaments or out of Province tournaments but did play some games. Quebec still won the drafts. They had kids not play since bantam and were still drafted in the Q their draft year with no viewings for 2 years. We were always told don’t matter what you do in bantam you are based on your year in midget. Nothing in the past. 2020 NL had 5 drafted 2021 they had 3 drafted. Makes No sense. There were more kids in those Provinces that should have been drafted and were great players and great kids. Hardly any scouts viewing at that time so many kids were missed. 2004 age group was affected by Covid all 3 midget years and NL have very few viewings as it was so it was even worse during that time. It doesn’t affect players being drafted in Quebec obviously. Just look at the draft. Flawed.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
the scouts at the monctonian are not just Maritime based scouts...tons of scouts from quebec come to the monctonian and ice jam and are limited to maritimers in just tournaments like that
That, I agree with. Just saying the maritimes players are seen by all teams at all events, not just at one event at the end of the year :)

NL is probably under scouted though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad