2023 QMJHL Draft

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
Saint John and Charlottetown all want to get 1st round to pick some players through trade.
Possible but they don't have much to offer. They already sold all the players that had a certain value. Burbidge is the only one from both teams who could be worth a 1st rounder in my opinion since there is no reason to trade Kearsey at only 17.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJHKY

TJHKY

Aug 10, 2021
Possible but they don't have much to offer. They already sold all the players that had a certain value. Burbidge is the only one from both teams who could be worth a 1st rounder in my opinion since there is no reason to trade Kearsey at only 17.
Lots of rumor is around and we never know which one is true until the draft day.

QCM18AAA

Nov 30, 2022
All 3 of Huang, Nobert and Lecompte are pretty much local guys. Who they pick at #3 will really dictate the rest of the draft.
Huang played St-Eustache which is couple minutes away from Boisbriand that's why I said local...the other 2 you indicated also are close buy I give you that but much further

I agree also after the top picks draft could go all over the place

Are Atlantic teams picking more Atlantic players in the first 3 rounds or they really go for who is best and available? Just wondering because I heard some Qc players would rather play in Qc so wondering if opposite is also true.

TJHKY

Aug 10, 2021
Huang played St-Eustache which is couple minutes away from Boisbriand that's why I said local...the other 2 you indicated also are close buy I give you that but much further

Are Atlantic teams picking more Atlantic players in the first 3 rounds or they really go for who is best and available? Just wondering because I heard some Qc players would rather play in Qc so wondering if opposite is also true.
Heard some players in maritime would like to play in maritime teams.

hawkeye east

May 31, 2021
Heard some players in maritime would like to play in maritime teams.
Ahh….. yeah that’s obvious every year same thing. Kids frequently would rather go lower to a favourable situation. These kids are 15/16….. the thought you go where you’re chosen . It’s not really the reality….. especially in the top two rounds.

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec

Usually they take the best player available in at least the first 3 rounds. After, you can see that some Maritime teams don't pick in Quebec that much. Every year, you see a lot of trades to accomodate players from all provinces that wish to go back closer to their home.

Big Daddie

Dec 12, 2022
Usually they take the best player available in at least the first 3 rounds. After, you can see that some Maritime teams don't pick in Quebec that much. Every year, you see a lot of trades to accomodate players from all provinces that wish to go back closer to their home.
Big move for a 16 year old to move to another province for sure . Not many kids are really ready for such a move at that age . We often hear of 18 year old kids going away to university and having to come home because they are home sick . Some kids are more ready than others .

Big Daddie

Dec 12, 2022
Big move for a 16 year old to move to another province for sure . Not many kids are really ready for such a move at that age . We often hear of 18 year old kids going away to university and having to come home because they are home sick . Some kids are more ready than others .
I guess we will find out next week if the CSR are really significant . I have noticed some changes in ranking which defy logic and don't reflect well on the supposed knowledge of the scouts responsible for these rankings . A few players have not done extremely well in the second half of the year yet they have moved up substantially in the rankings . Others have done really well in the second half and yet we see them moving much further down in the rankings . How is that possible ? Makes you wonder who or what is influencing their decisions !!!!

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
I guess we will find out next week if the CSR are really significant . I have noticed some changes in ranking which defy logic and don't reflect well on the supposed knowledge of the scouts responsible for these rankings . A few players have not done extremely well in the second half of the year yet they have moved up substantially in the rankings . Others have done really well in the second half and yet we see them moving much further down in the rankings . How is that possible ? Makes you wonder who or what is influencing their decisions !!!!
You don't need to wait next week. Just look at the past drafts. CSR list is just the opinion of the CSR scouting staff on what they see on the ice. They don't even meet the players to evaluate their character and personality. Each team has their own staff, their own opinion and their own list. They don't rely on CSR list at all.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I use to scout for Gatineau for 10 years...the CSR has a lot of scouts in quebec and not a whole lot in the Maritimes...the Maritime guys get a bit lower ranked than they should...we where always told not to pay attention to the ranking but our GM used them as a guide to ask us if we have this guy ranked so low why do they have him so high...usually though they do a decent job overall, some are way off but with individual teams things can go way off too....everything is opinion.

for a player to be drafted though they have to be on the CSR list, that is why with a day or two left i can not remember the cut off, teams will add players to the list last minuet, that way other teams have no ability to get any intel on the player. Also at the draft CSR guys are running to each table...say if it is on pick 2 and your team picks at pick 7 then they are at your table wondering who you are taken and they call it in to see if any team before you took the guy because nothing has been announced yet...that way it gives the board time to get things typed up and ready for the pick. So the whole draft is run by CSR.

Reactions: 20Hockey

TJHKY

Aug 10, 2021
These are just based on CSR list, not actual Moncton possible selections. So many list out there + ones from each team. But it does create a hype which is good for the league
Yes, Moncton wants to show the TOP prospects.

BTW, the QMJHL trade window opens Wednesday morning (June 7) from 10 AM to 1 PM Atlantic.

Then Friday morning (June 9) from 10am-11am.

RantAndRoarNL

Nov 30, 2022
Can someone explain how the Sat draft day would look, coverage via stream?, links, how players find out (Twitter or team sites) or are they contacted etc, how long it takes to complete all rounds etc.

Reactions: 20Hockey

QCM18AAA

Nov 30, 2022
Can someone explain how the Sat draft day would look, coverage via stream?, links, how players find out (Twitter or team sites) or are they contacted etc, how long it takes to complete all rounds etc.
All rounds will be done on Saturday. First round is planned for 2 hours. First round goes on stage. From 2nd round players go to the teams table when called. Selections will be available from the Q draft page and whenever teams will post it. No clue if teams calls or emails players once selection made if player is not present.

lhjmq draft page: LHJMQ – Incluant la couverture en direct des matchs, des clips audio et vidéo nouvelles exclusives, billets, statistiques, classements, horaires et autres.

Looks like coverage will be available live from watch.chl.ca (not sure if free). There is also Mikael Lalancette (Qc journalist) that will cover live on Facebook.

Reactions: RantAndRoarNL

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
Overall I'm routing for the Atlantic province kids and this year is a tough one I think. There are a few decent prospects, but definitely it's a slow year. I hope we see some surprises and some late developers out of our region.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Overall I'm routing for the Atlantic province kids and this year is a tough one I think. There are a few decent prospects, but definitely it's a slow year. I hope we see some surprises and some late developers out of our region.
that depends if some players decide to come up though....
Cole Chandler, Owen Conrad, Zach Wheeler, Liam Kilfoil, Landon Paul, Ty Peddigrew, Will Murphy, Brady Peddle, Tyson Goguen, Luke Foley, Rory Pilling, Carter Arnold, Noah Collette, Logan Roop, Logan Quinn, , Connor Sturgeon give the maritimes some great talent for first few rounds...but again it depends how many stay in the usa or come up

Zachary Morin, anyone?
I think he will stay in the USA...but you never ever know with Halifax, Quebec, Moncton, who has the ability to throw money around....

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
Agree. And year after year CSR scouts show that they like size. Draft Day, you notice that teams prefer talent.
FACTS, FACTS, FACTS

Louis-Alex Tremblay 5'7" / 158 lbs - CSR #41 - DRAFTED #13
Jérémy Loranger 5'7,5" / 141 lbs - CSR #57 - DRAFTED #17
Noah McKinnon 5'8,5" / 154 lbs- CSR #68 - DRAFTED #37
William-Alexis Tremblay 5'6" / 163 lbs - CSR ROUNDS 6 to 8 - DRAFTED #55 -3rd ROUND
Lou-Félix Morin 5,8,5"/143lbs - CSR ROUND #9 to 12 - ROUND #4

And I could add many other cases of small players listed round 9 and after by CSR but got drafted many rounds earlier.

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
I agree with most of your list @GermanSpitfire besides Jonathan Prud'homme.

In my opinion, an opinion based on my viewing of all his game, including his pre-season's, he is overrated! He is one of those players who will have to better adapt to this level.

I still ask myself why Hemrick Carbonneau didn't make the Granadiers. Carbonneau made the M18AAA playing for Amos Forestier's. I definitely would have keep him instead of Prud'homme. But hey, this is just my opinion!
A post that hasn't age to well! Prud'homme, who according to that gentleman wasn't good enough for M18AAA ended up being drated 8th OVERALL! You should apologize to this 16 year old kid and his family for this dirty post.

Finally, what round was drafted YOUR great prospect... For my part, I will be respectful and avoid naming him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad