Speculation: 2023 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
our problem offensively is our shit finishing. drouin and his 2 goals are the last thing we need

We're not too bad. The problem is that our shit finishing is only amplified by the fact we hardly make nearly as many quality scoring chances as our opponents do. Unless line 2 is feeling hot we run 1 scoring line and a PP that's inconsistent

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Most people would probably laugh at the idea of bringing Drouin here if he wasn't a former Lightning player. He has flat out sucked for four years straight now and missed a shit ton of games in that time span too.

He sucked with Montreal, when he was here he generated a ton of offense. I'm not saying we should circle his name as a target but we aren't in a position to cherry pick, we have to find value wherever we can get it. If he came cheap I'd definitely consider him as an option, he would need to check out in a sit down interview though, if he came with distractions some desperate team can take him instead.

Reactions: DFC

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Right, WTF are we doing even talking about Drouin?

Because he will be cheap and proved repeatedly while he was here that he has absolutely insane chemistry with Kucherov. This isn't Montreal. We don't take guys who are wings and demand they be a 1C. If anything we take centers and make them wingers. If he's THAT BAD because of any underlying mental issues we will build it into his contract and leave him and us an out. I don't think you understand just how good he and Kucherov were together. That is worth a $1 million "prove it" deal if Killorn walks too

I know it is a terrible idea but I don't know where the hell else we're gonna look for a guy who MIGHT produce for us at a level we need for cheap. We're not gonna get the Adam Fox "i OnLy WaNnA pLaY 4 nYr!!!" treatment from anyone.

We're so out of picks and prospects we have to go dumpster diving like the Rays

Last edited:

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Because he will be cheap and proved repeatedly while he was here that he has absolutely insane chemistry with Kucherov. This isn't Montreal. We don't take guys who are wings and demand they be a 1C. If anything we take centers and make them wingers. If he's THAT BAD because of any underlying mental issues we will build it into his contract and leave him and us an out. I don't think you understand just how good he and Kucherov were together. That is worth a $1 million "prove it" deal if Killorn walks too

I know it is a terrible idea but I don't know where the hell else we're gonna look for a guy who MIGHT produce for us at a level we need for cheap. We're not gonna get the Adam Fox "i OnLy WaNnA pLaY 4 nYr!!!" treatment from anyone.

We're so out of picks and prospects we have to go dumpster diving like the Rays
we really are like the Rays right now, we need to go to the bottom of the barrel and find guys that are fringe NHL guys or have been sitting in the minors like Galchenyuk

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
we really are like the Rays right now, we need to go to the bottom of the barrel and find guys that are fringe NHL guys or have been sitting in the minors like Galchenyuk

The problem is we're just flat out of money. The system is doing what it is supposed to and we have to make ends meet somehow. Believe me I wouldn't be talking about Drouin if I didn't think it was not dire. If he wasn't our guy no, we wouldn't be talking about him. But he DID play for us and was damn good for at least a second. Now if we lose Killorn too..

Whelp...

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Colorado is facing cap issues, too. They're into LTIR money and need to re-sign a bunch of players. NJ could be in trouble, as well.

Watching the Jets end of season conferences gave me mixed messages. Bones isn't happy with the guys. Cheveldayoff at least presented himself as having a more positive outlook.

We've had a few upsets in the first round, so that should mean some deeper changes than we expected.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
If you want to gain some cap space and regroup a little bit, Cernak would be the guy you trade. Not sure how many GM's would be willing with his most recent injury, but he is still pretty young and has a ton of value when at the top of his game.

I love what he brings to the table if healthy, but it seems unlikely that he can be relied upon long term.

By no means am I recommending it, but if you're moving someone, I think it's gotta be him.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Outside fan here, with the relative cap crunch on your next season's salary situation, would you guys be looking at just re-signing Colton/ Jeannot, maybe dumping another big contract or letting Killorn walk, and then running it back?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Outside fan here, with the relative cap crunch on your next season's salary situation, would you guys be looking at just re-signing Colton/ Jeannot, maybe dumping another big contract or letting Killorn walk, and then running it back?

Killorn is as good as gone. We'd try to sign both Colton and Jeannot to cheap 1 year or bridge deals, with Colton being potential trade bait to make ends meet. Jeannot won't be traded.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
It’s been an incredible window, longer than most. And by no means is the window shut. But the flat cap really screwed up this dynasty. In a normal environment we keep either Palat or Guorde long term and would have waited a year on McDonough. We’re probably talking about another cup

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
On the other hand, did the break help us win the bubble cup?

I’m a firm believer that we benefited the most from the Covid break before the bubble. Every year, we’d go into the playoffs severely injured and get bounced.

This break enabled everyone (outside of Stamkos), to get fully healthy and play against other teams who were also at 100%.

We were clearly superior to the competition…just needed to be healthy enough for the Cup run.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019

Chris Krenn clarified the Mikey concussion - he was NOT playing with concussion symptoms at end of series, he WAS having them and pulled after G1

Cernak's injury seems really bad - 2 weeks post concussion, I wonder if he's also having neck issues as well (pure speculation on my part)

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Chris Krenn clarified the Mikey concussion - he was NOT playing with concussion symptoms at end of series, he WAS having them and pulled after G1

Cernak's injury seems really bad - 2 weeks post concussion, I wonder if he's also having neck issues as well (pure speculation on my part)
Nice to know the league took head injuries serious enough to suspend McCabe... oh wait..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad