Speculation: 2023 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
I would like to see that. Top 6 forward that has chemistry with Kuch, can't hurt that much to have.
But:
1) wonder what's the reason for the contract rupture with SKA. Some time has passed, but wasn't he considered to be a bit of a lazy guy when playing in NJ and Fla?
2) what would be the pricetag
tHERE ARE RUMOURS THAT HE HAS Problems with beer addiction. I also think its too late for Gusev to return to NHL. Maybe league minimum and see how it works, but we tried with Vlady and it didnt, I think he is even worse.

Reactions: Zwui21

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
So who do we think goes to the World Championships? Hagel, Perbix, Colton, Bellemare?
of totally forgot about that. Point ,Stamkos, Kuch, Sergy with canadian citrizenship and I will root for Canada even though I am Russian xD
but it would be interesting to see youg guys like Perbix, Colton playing at championship.

Damn it wont be interesting until October ffs long time. From other side maybe its good, even I felt sometimes I was tiring to watch some Bolts games, too much hockey for last 4 years, imagine how tired are guys, I hope this early exit will help them to heal and really miss hockey again and win one or two cups in nearest future

Reactions: LightningStrikes

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
As always it will be interesting when we hear what guys were dealing with injury wise.

I'm guessing Point and Hedman weren't 100%, and I'm sure there are some others that were dealing with something nagging or even more.

It's not an excuse since every team has injuries, but certain players not being at their best can definitely change a series.

Wasn't ready for it to be over, kind of sat in disbelief at the arena for a few after it was over. Then I got furious with all the annoying Leafs fans jumping and hugging like they won the f***ing Cup. And rather than fighting that battle and reminding them of how barely mediocre they've been for so long, I left.

Know our past success was incredible and I fully believe we can and will be back gives me hope. Nothing the Leafs do can outmatch what we did recently.

You don't want to get eliminated, but the silver lining as mentioned by others is getting these guys some much needed physical and mental rest. I have 100% confidence in Vasy being back to form next season and don't think the window is closed.

I now look forward to watching the Leafs fail and quenching the thirst from the hot Florida summer on their tears and cope pretending 1st round wins mean shit.

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
What if … now hear me out … what if there is a way to keep Killorn? Even though he is coming off his two best regular seasons and is exactly the kind of veteran that up-and-coming teams like Jersey and Buffalo would pay through the nose for, he doesn’t want to leave. We all know the problem is that we don’t have the money. But that’s a temporary problem. So if he wants to stay so badly, what if he accepted a 1-year deal for say $3 mil this summer with a promise to make up for the lost salary next summer when we will have more cap room? Maybe next summer sign him to a 2-year $12 or 13 million deal?

I know he’s getting into his mid-30s, but his game has only matured, and his last two regular seasons show consistency. He looks like he might be able to sustain it for 2-3 more seasons and then retire to the Lightning ring of honor.

Might be far-fetched, but we all know Killer truly wants to be here.

Reactions: Renopucker

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
assuming Colton wants more than 3m, wonder if San Jose would be open to something like Colton+ for Sturm and Knyzhov. Cap works out as those 2 make 3.25 combined and are signed for 2 more years, adds another big body down the middle and a young LHD that can replace Fleury

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
So who do we think goes to the World Championships? Hagel, Perbix, Colton, Bellemare?
We'll need to hear the end of season statements, but Eyssimont may feel that an international appearance could help him with a new contract.

If Belly and Elliott are leaning towards retirement, they might as well go.

Reactions: Five Alarm Fire

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
Other thoughts …

• Pay Hagel and add him to the new core. I’m sold.

• Offer Colton 3 years at $3 mil. If he won’t bite, trade his rights. He’s middle six all the way. I like his shot and his consistent hustle, and I’d like to see what he could do with a longer look on a scoring line, but his ceiling might just be “good third liner.” So not a big deal either way.

• Consider trading Paul. He looked like a different guy once the calendar hit 2023, and if I’m JBB and Coop, I do not tolerate an inconsistent compete level. His team-friendly contract and eye-catching playoff run last year might mean there’s a market. I’d look into it and tell him so. It might just re-light the fire.

• We all seem to be in agreement that Jeannot gets at least one more year. I don’t really care whether JBB signs him for one year or 3 or 7. I just want to see a better player, because the skill level he displayed after his rookie year was abysmal. Go back and watch his first year goals with Nashville and remind yourself that it’s not possible that many goals could all be luck. But if he isn’t a positive contributor next season, I’d dump him. Nothing worse than carrying a sunk cost.

• The blueline looks fine as long as we find a reasonably priced upgrade for Ian Cole to play bottom pair minutes. Bogo is a fine right-handed veteran depth piece/pressbox guy for one more year behind Raddysh, Perbix and Cernak. Fleury is just a guy, a warm body. Not sure there’s any real potential there to tap into at this point. I’d look elsewhere for a lefty shot on a minimum deal, but it’s possible that market is limited for guys who sit in the pressbox most nights. Upgrading Cole is an important move, though. We’ve just got to be stronger in our own zone.

• Any interest in one last kick at the can with a 36/38-year old Corey Perry for the low, low price of $1 million? Asking for a friend who is also the Worm’s agent. I love what the guy brings, and like Killorn, he’s damn consistent. I don’t want to see an old, slow 4th line again, but a young, hungry center (Gage Goncalves?) could solve that issue a bit. Perry’s value in terms of leadership, power play, toughness and playoff performance still have me interested.

• Bring on the kids! Ryfors and Goncalves in particular deserve a long look in camp. Maybe ABB will do something with his last chance too. Koepke and Fortier have had their cups o coffee, and you never know when a real surprise might emerge in camp. We can’t afford to shop for free agents, but if we’re just filling a couple of spots on the bottom six, we do have a handful of solid prospects (I am assuming JBB will lock in Eyssimont for one of those openings). Besides, JBB has a proven formula of playing young guys in the first half and then trading them for upgrades if necessary.

• Hugo ain’t ready to back up Vasy just yet, so go get a strong backup like Semyon Varlamov, please.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
assuming Colton wants more than 3m, wonder if San Jose would be open to something like Colton+ for Sturm and Knyzhov. Cap works out as those 2 make 3.25 combined and are signed for 2 more years, adds another big body down the middle and a young LHD that can replace Fleury
I do like what Sturm offers as a bottom six forward, but he lacks Colton’s offensive upside. Sturm probably never sniffs 40 points, whereas Colton teases you with his wrist shot and one-timer that he might even fit on the second line. So that’s a bit of a downgrade and Colton’s pricetag will have a lot to say about what happens with him.

I think you’re looking at the right team as a trading partner and also like your idea of getting an upgrade over Fleury out of the transaction. To me, Fleury is just a warm body with good mobility … kind of an empty uniform.

Now Knyzhov has some experience in the NHL and he’s got good size and some apparent skill, albeit limited. What concerns me is his injury history and the possibility that he is, like Fleury, just a guy. So what about taking a chance on Artemi Kniazev? Also a lefty, but a younger, way better skater with much more offense. He’s hardly touched NHL ice and he needs to hit the weight room, but he did a complete 180 this year in the AHL as far as showing he can defend and not just skate fast and pass the puck. I’d be more excited to take on a dman with more potential in exchange for slightly downgrading our third line with Sturm (who, again, I do like as third liner, but that’s all he is)

copperlion

Aug 6, 2019
Does Killorn probably leaving mean there is a spot for ABB in the top 6? I really like the kid and hope he becomes like JAM

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I would like to see that. Top 6 forward that has chemistry with Kuch, can't hurt that much to have.
But:
1) wonder what's the reason for the contract rupture with SKA. Some time has passed, but wasn't he considered to be a bit of a lazy guy when playing in NJ and Fla?
2) what would be the pricetag
Hard to say about #1 without going to spotrac or whatever that Russian sports news site is (assuming someone has written about it).

#2, I don't know who would pay through the nose for him at this point. His numbers have been decent to good in every season for a little while except for his last one here in NA, but I would have to think someone would have snatched him up if he was thought to be terribly valuable for NHL hockey.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
something to take into account now:

The criteria are simple. Players must have competed in at least one IIHF tournament at any level during the year (Olympics, World Championship, U20, or U18 event) as well as in a domestic league of the highest calibre for that country. The combined performances of the two will determine the winners.

Last edited:

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
For those who are wondering what to do about hockey until October; the Crunch lead the Amerks 2-1 in their best of 5 with game 4 today in Rochester. This is an excellent time to see the young talent the organization has to help answer the questions about what we do or do not have for the future.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Lol have you spent zero time outside of this forum?
To respond to an ignorant assertion is a waste of time. You have little idea of my experience.
Trading all those picks for a guy we just let walk isn't good asset management. At least trade Jeannot for other things.
I agree it is not good asset management, but I’m not sure what is worse the scouting thinking the guy would be an asset or the price that JBB paid. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses, this will not be that time JBB will resign Jeanott over paying him to be a redundant piece. He is the poorest skater on the roster. I mean if you need to overpay for a guy that can not skate above the 4th line effectively???? Heck Perry and Maroon are faster and PEB probably too. Jeanott is effective as a net front guy but vu the time he gets to the area the rush is over and play is headed the other direction. Slow foot speed can be limited with good positioning. Can anyone put a line together where Jeanott could keep up and make a difference?????? If one could put his hands on pick a player with just average speed but no finish you would have a serviceable guy. He just does not fit with roster.

This is not pointed to you in particular but most posters here want speed and youth but still stand up for this trade . What does he have well grit and youth. Both attributes are not inclusive to a successful nhl player.

I get your point on asset management there are a number of players that could have been brought in as pure rentals that could have helped this run. As critical as asset management is so is scouting. There was a disconnect n this area. The guy was struggling in Nashville brought in here and managed 1 goal and what 4 assts in 25 games. It’s impossible to justify this. Would have been better off keeping the picks and Foote and making moves in the off-season. At this point decisions are going to have to be made to reload this probably will include Killorn gone And at least one of Cirelli, Chernak, Sergi. Has I have said this core deserves more. It is going to require bringing in 24 and 25 year old guys that can provide goal support and improved defense. Perbix and Raddysh are a start.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
To respond to an ignorant assertion is a waste of time. You have little idea of my experience.

I agree it is not good asset management, but I’m not sure what is worse the scouting thinking the guy would be an asset or the price that JBB paid. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses, this will not be that time JBB will resign Jeanott over paying him to be a redundant piece. He is the poorest skater on the roster. I mean if you need to overpay for a guy that can not skate above the 4th line effectively???? Heck Perry and Maroon are faster and PEB probably too. Jeanott is effective as a net front guy but vu the time he gets to the area the rush is over and play is headed the other direction. Slow foot speed can be limited with good positioning. Can anyone put a line together where Jeanott could keep up and make a difference?????? If one could put his hands on pick a player with just average speed but no finish you would have a serviceable guy. He just does not fit with roster.

This is not pointed to you in particular but most posters here want speed and youth but still stand up for this trade . What does he have well grit and youth. Both attributes are not inclusive to a successful nhl player.

I get your point on asset management there are a number of players that could have been brought in as pure rentals that could have helped this run. As critical as asset management is so is scouting. There was a disconnect n this area. The guy was struggling in Nashville brought in here and managed 1 goal and what 4 assts in 25 games. It’s impossible to justify this. Would have been better off keeping the picks and Foote and making moves in the off-season. At this point decisions are going to have to be made to reload this probably will include Killorn gone And at least one of Cirelli, Chernak, Sergi. Has I have said this core deserves more. It is going to require bringing in 24 and 25 year old guys that can provide goal support and improved defense. Perbix and Raddysh are a start.
Cernak, serg and Cirelli are going no where they just signed for 8 years. JBB probably give Jeannot the rumored 6 year contract for 2 AVV and when the cap goes up that will not be a bad price at all. Colton gets signed also it’s just what JBB does signs the young guys and killorn walks unless he takes 1 million AVV per year.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I don't really blame the refs. There were some really bad non calls that we could talk about but I'd rather not devolve into being like Toronto where incessant crying about them, win or lose, becomes one identity.

The players on the other hand, particularly Vasy cost us this series. Am I disappointed? Sure. I think knowing Boston is out makes it worse because we likely beat Florida again. And I don't think the Metro is an issue to us either and by then maybe Cernak would've been back. Devils goaltending is suspect and the Rangers are the Rangers. Big what if looming overhead if Toronto waltzes to the final. I don't think they will, but still.

On the other hand, these dudes have been put through the ringer the last few years. Duclair and Mayfield chopping Kuch, LBIs to Kuch, Stamkos, Hedman and Point. Injuries to Hagel, Killorn, Paul and Cirelli as well. There's only so much you can take.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Hows our prospect pool looking? Any kids good enough to fill a spot or two on the 3rd and 4th line?
I think Huuhtanen is gonna surprise many, would love to see him come overseas (he still got a contract till 2024, which he would need to mutually terminate). I think he could make the team out of camp

Reactions: DistantThunderRep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad