2023 NHL Playoffs Around the League

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
You’re not allowed to say that here. Remember Toronto passed on him and TB let him go. So that justifies our misassessment?

At least we got Kristers Gudlevskis in return. It’s all good.
Chapin, can Gudlevskis spell Byng too?

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
It was justice that Florida won that game yesterday because my god again, that officiating was an embarrassment last night. I dont even know what sport this is anymore. 7 PPs for the same team twice in 3 games of the Stanley Cup final is just absurd. And a total of 12 altogether last night in the game. Let the damn players play the game. But specifically that call at the end of the third was a disgrace. The Vegas player tripped over his own feet and that call could have directly changed the result of the game, the series and the champion of the league. These players and teams put their bodies on the line all season for this moment and to have refs try to alter the outcome is just unacceptable. I honestly think something drastic needs to be done at this point. More and more in recent years, refs are inserting themselves into the game. They are not the attraction, but that is what they want to be.

This is what a refs job is in a Stanley Cup finals game: call a no-brainer 100% indisputable infraction that takes away a scoring chance, leads to a scoring chance or is an obvious intent to injure. That is it. Period. End of story. Other than that shut up and stay out of sight. You do not call anything thats iffy or borderline, let alone LOOKING to call something 12 times in a game.

Perfect examples of a clueless hockey fan.

I didn't see the third period -- but for the first two periods I saw, the refs called penalties. Valid ones. Dumb ones by Florida.

I think you should learn the game. Teams take penalties usually, under one of two scenarios:

1. Stupid/undisciplined. Gudas cross check in first. Benn xcheck against Stone last round (although I enjoyed this one, Stone has a very checkable face)

2. They are slow, out of position, or late to the play.

MOST are scenario #2. If the team is playing well, they aren't going to take penalties because they are driving play and on the offense. When a team is on its heels, aren't in position to properly angle out/defend against a scoring chance, they will hold, trip, interfere... AND TAKE PENALTIES.

Which is why it makes me crazy (most of the time) when Isles fans blame the refs for the loss. No, it's not the refs.. we lost because we took a lot of penalties, BECAUSE WE SUCK -- not because the refs made incorrect calls.

And the last bolded comment is dumb. They are LOOKING to call something? Bro -- get a clue -- play the game, maybe just try and officiate one, learn to skate, stay up with the play, and watch everyone on the ice ( and bad line changes too), dont forget about diving and embellishment, make the correct call, all while getting berated by the players and coaches and imbeciles in the stands. Oh yeah -- make sure you stay out of the way of the play also. Are incorrect calls made? Yes. In all sports.

They aren't LOOKING to call anything. They don't WANT to be the story in any game, no less a SC Final.

Reactions: Big L and MJF

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007

I didn't see the third period -- but for the first two periods I saw, the refs called penalties. Valid ones. Dumb ones by Florida.

I think you should learn the game. Teams take penalties usually, under one of two scenarios:

1. Stupid/undisciplined. Gudas cross check in first. Benn xcheck against Stone last round (although I enjoyed this one, Stone has a very checkable face)

MOST are scenario #2. If the team is playing well, they aren't going to take penalties because they are driving play and on the offense. When a team is on its heels, aren't in position to properly angle out/defend against a scoring chance, they will hold, trip, interfere... AND TAKE PENALTIES.

Which is why it makes me crazy (most of the time) when Isles fans blame the refs for the loss. No, it's not the refs.. we lost because we took a lot of penalties, BECAUSE WE SUCK -- not because the refs made incorrect calls.

And the last bolded comment is dumb. They are LOOKING to call something? Bro -- get a clue -- play the game, maybe just try and officiate one, learn to skate, stay up with the play, and watch everyone on the ice ( and bad line changes too), dont forget about diving and embellishment, make the correct call, all while getting berated by the players and coaches and imbeciles in the stands. Oh yeah -- make sure you stay out of the way of the play also. Are incorrect calls made? Yes. In all sports.

They aren't LOOKING to call anything. They don't WANT to be the story in any game, no less a SC Final.
Your continued defense of the officials is comical, considering 90% of hockey fans have been saying the same thing as me about the officiating in these playoffs. You prove to be even more clueless based on the fact you admit you did not watch the third period, so there is no way you could truthfully comment on the "penalty" that was the main reason for my post. Every single commentator on TNT said it was an awful call and Gretzky himself questioned why an official would be looking to make a call like that with a finals game on the line when the ref clearly did not see what happened.
That is what fans like me, as you put it, keep saying. Why are refs making calls for things they think they see. The point of a ref, especially in the playoffs, is to keep the game under control and to call 100% no question about it penalties. Not to make up calls or guess what they think they saw.
Finally, I made a post about referees that have nothing to do with anybody or anything on this board. You took the time to sign in and write a lengthy response for no other reason than to criticize, bash and insult another poster's opinion. I am glad you thought that was worth your time.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Your continued defense of the officials is comical, considering 90% of hockey fans have been saying the same thing as me about the officiating in these playoffs. You prove to be even more clueless based on the fact you admit you did not watch the third period, so there is no way you could truthfully comment on the "penalty" that was the main reason for my post. Every single commentator on TNT said it was an awful call and Gretzky himself questioned why an official would be looking to make a call like that with a finals game on the line when the ref clearly did not see what happened.
That is what fans like me, as you put it, keep saying. Why are refs making calls for things they think they see. The point of a ref, especially in the playoffs, is to keep the game under control and to call 100% no question about it penalties. Not to make up calls or guess what they think they saw.
Finally, I made a post about referees that have nothing to do with anybody or anything on this board. You took the time to sign in and write a lengthy response for no other reason than to criticize, bash and insult another poster's opinion. I am glad you thought that was worth your time.

I never commented on the third period penalty -- i didn't see it. I admitted it -- that doesn't make me clueless, it makes me transparent. I even said that mistakes are made. Perhaps this was a questionable call or a bad one. Dont know. Ever notice that its the fans of the teams who lose who have the most to say about the bad officiating? Think about that one... I'll wait.

I'm commented on your post. the bolded statements, which show you clearly have no clue and grab the low hanging fruit.

"Man,, the refs screwed us!!". No they didn't. Your team lost. Look a bit deeper. Analyze the play and see why your team took a penalty. Refs didn't put Pulock out of position. Refs didn't make him trip the guy.

You should read my post a bit more, showing how and why teams take penalties. It may help you next season.

"The point of a ref, especially in the playoffs, is to keep the game under control and to call 100% no question about it penalties. Not to make up calls or guess what they think they saw."

Is this your definition? LOL.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I never commented on the third period penalty -- i didn't see it. I admitted it -- that doesn't make me clueless, it makes me transparent. I even said that mistakes are made. Perhaps this was a questionable call or a bad one. Dont know. Ever notice that its the fans of the teams who lose who have the most to say about the bad officiating? Think about that one... I'll wait.

I'm commented on your post. the bolded statements, which show you clearly have no clue and grab the low hanging fruit.

"Man,, the refs screwed us!!". No they didn't. Your team lost. Look a bit deeper. Analyze the play and see why your team took a penalty. Refs didn't put Pulock out of position. Refs didn't make him trip the guy.

You should read my post a bit more, showing how and why teams take penalties. It may help you next season.

"The point of a ref, especially in the playoffs, is to keep the game under control and to call 100% no question about it penalties. Not to make up calls or guess what they think they saw."

Is this your definition? LOL.
Dude you are still ranting and raving about us complaining about the refs in the Isles series. I dont even know what you are talking about. The word Islanders did not even appear in my post a single time.
And my complaint was about the refs horrendous calls against the Panthers....and they won!!!! So your theory and point about the losing team just went out the window. Try paying attention.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Dude you are still ranting and raving about us complaining about the refs in the Isles series. I dont even know what you are talking about. The word Islanders did not even appear in my post a single time.
And my complaint was about the refs horrendous calls against the Panthers....and they won!!!! So your theory and point about the losing team just went out the window. Try paying attention.

Im talking about sweeping ignorant generalizations about officiating.

Now I know why people block you.

Reactions: Big L and MJF

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Im talking about sweeping ignorant generalizations about officiating.

Now I know why people block you.
I love how I write a post about my opinion on referees, you respond by calling me clueless and dumb, your exact words, and somehow you are the victim.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Actually, the game last night was called quite well, past the call at the end of the third, yet....game speed....it did look like a trip. Florida took DUMB!!! penalties. I would have called all of them, both sides, as Vegas took a few dumb ones as well.

Did not stay up for the OT, but glad Florida did not lose because of the late third period call.

Reactions: Big L

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

this is the stanley cup finals, the refs have called dogshit all playoffs and missed really bad ones. The flow of the game loses out as its constantly being broken up. You call some of those plays during preseason not during the Cup finals,.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
You’re not allowed to say that here. Remember Toronto passed on him and TB let him go. So that justifies our misassessment?

It’s okay. Garth traded the Brannstrom pick, used to acquire Mark Stone.

He’s helping both teams. What a guy.

Reactions: The Real JT

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Anyone can (and many now do) refer to Verhaeghe as "the one who got away" and that the Islanders ultimately misassessed his potential and upside. And they're certainly entitled to that opinion.

In the grand scheme of things, he was here and for whatever reason, the Snow-guided team did not decide to keep investing in him. He was moved for a safety net 3rd stringer need at the time.

So, hindsight being 20/20, yes, he certainly got away.

Of course, looking at Verhaeghe's timeline and path to the NHL, much less in a scoring capacity, I'd absolutely love to hear from any and everybody who holds this opinion, which of our current prospects that are 3 or less years removed from being drafted are going to be doing what he's been doing in 5 year's time. Who's going to bloom into offensive contributor 7 some years after being drafted?

Because those are the guys we better damn sure hold onto.

Don't want to make that mistake twice!

There was a time here at the boards a few years back where Verhaeghe was being mentioned as the prime example of Thompson's inability to foster forward talent at the AHL level.

I vehemently argued against that.

That's a related, but ultimately totally different discussion.

Reactions: leeroggy

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Anyone can (and many now do) refer to Verhaeghe as "the one who got away" and that the Islanders ultimately misassessed his potential and upside. And they're certainly entitled to that opinion.

In the grand scheme of things, he was here and for whatever reason, the Snow-guided team did not decide to keep investing in him. He was moved for a safety net 3rd stringer need at the time.

So, hindsight being 20/20, yes, he certainly got away.

Of course, looking at Verhaeghe's timeline and path to the NHL, much less in a scoring capacity, I'd absolutely love to hear from any and everybody who holds this opinion, which of our current prospects that are 3 or less years removed from being drafted are going to be doing what he's been doing in 5 year's time. Who's going to bloom into offensive contributor 7 some years after being drafted?

Because those are the guys we better damn sure hold onto.

Don't want to make that mistake twice!

There was a time here at the boards a few years back where Verhaeghe was being mentioned as the prime example of Thompson's inability to foster forward talent at the AHL level.

I vehemently argued against that.

That's a related, but ultimately totally different discussion.
Dufour! Dufour! Dufour!

If we want to talk about a longshot to make an impact . . . Krygier

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Vegas up 2-0 on some crazy goals. Stone had a beautiful shorthanded goal to open the scoring and then a weird scramble around the crease was banged in to put them up two goals.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Barkov is a smooth player, but he doesn’t have ‘it’ - FL needed a jam player like Tkachuck to lead that team.

Stone is a money player - he ain’t young, fast, or super YouTube skilled, but he’s a gamer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad