2023 NHL Playoffs Around the League

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
What do you all think are your top 2 or 3 first round upsets?

I don’t see Florida upsetting the Bs. I can see isles upsetting the canes. Tampa and rags winning wouldn’t seem like an upset to me. Tampa maybe a little. Don’t see Seattle upsetting the Avs. But I could see the jets pulling that one out.

Imy top two first round upsets are Isles and Jets.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I don’t see the Isles as upsets over Carolina. Maybe the seeding says that, but that’s about it. They had 3 more regulation wins. 3.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What do you all think are your top 2 or 3 first round upsets?

I don’t see Florida upsetting the Bs. I can see isles upsetting the canes. Tampa and rags winning wouldn’t seem like an upset to me. Tampa maybe a little. Don’t see Seattle upsetting the Avs. But I could see the jets pulling that one out.

Imy top two first round upsets are Isles and Jets.
Isles would be classified an upset. I can see possibly the Kings winning because Oilers goaltending shits the bed again. Otherwise, I go with the chalk in the 1st round.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Colorado gets an easy matchup in Seattle, but doubt they make it past the next one.

I don’t see the new darlings in Edmonton going deep. I see that as Vegas/LA on that side of the bracket.

I say the Isles to a minimum of the ECF again. Beyond Carolina, they win that next round.

Big L

Feb 7, 2013
CT
Colorado gets an easy matchup in Seattle, but doubt they make it past the next one.

I don’t see the new darlings in Edmonton going deep. I see that as Vegas/LA on that side of the bracket.

I say the Isles to a minimum of the ECF again. Beyond Carolina, they win that next round.
Vegas goaltending will be their downfall.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Los Angeles comes back from 3-1 down to tie it up with like 15 seconds remaining. Minnesota and Dallas in OT right now after Pavelski was knocked unconscious earlier in the game. A really physical game. Fifteen minutes to go in OT.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The Kings complete the comeback with a PP goal after a bad trip by Edmonton. Dallas and Minnesota just started the second OT. Dallas has been the better team the last two periods for sure.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The Kings complete the comeback with a PP goal after a bad trip by Edmonton. Dallas and Minnesota just started the second OT. Dallas has been the better team the last two periods for sure.
Bad trip? I would somewhat agree. However, some of these penalties are moving away from ‘selling it’ to soccer style embellishment.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It feels as if really the only better team who won tonight was Carolina...everyone else played fairly well and lost

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Minnesota finds a way to win off a whacky bounce in the corner. Goes right to Hartman who outwaits the goalie and buries it.

Bad trip? I would somewhat agree. However, some of these penalties are moving away from ‘selling it’ to soccer style embellishment.

You can't wildly swing your stick around and clip someone's feet, embellishment or not.

Last edited:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Minnesota finds a way to win off a whacky bounce in the corner. Goes right to Hartman who outwaits the goalie and buries it.

You can't wildly swing your stick around and clip someone's feet, embellishment or not.

Didn’t say it wasn’t a penalty. Watch the slower angle from the rear.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Didn’t say it wasn’t a penalty. Watch the slower angle from the rear.

I slowed this one down already to see the embellishment. 50-50 on if he let his other foot come out underneath him. I didn't think it was terribly egregious though. The head snapping back when you're not touched is the worst to me.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I slowed this one down already to see the embellishment. 50-50 on if he let his other foot come out underneath him. I didn't think it was terribly egregious though. The head snapping back when you're not touched is the worst to me.
Agreed, but I’ve noticed this season more and more subtle embellishments that if they keep pushing that direction, it’s gonna be soccer style. And there’s no muscle in the game to stamp it out, so it’s left to the refs.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Agreed, but I’ve noticed this season more and more subtle embellishments that if they keep pushing that direction, it’s gonna be soccer style. And there’s no muscle in the game to stamp it out, so it’s left to the refs.

They have too many rules in place that allow players to do that shit and not have to answer for it. I'd be all for a really harsh penalty for embellishment, like a game misconduct or a suspension if they aren't going to let players handle it.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Regarding embellishments… increase the practice of fining players after the fact. Generally, it’s hard to hide embellishment on replays. It’s a start I think.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
What games are you excited for tonight?

That whole who’s the grittiest team in the playoffs thread, with all of these flexing Leaf fans have me interested in that game.

I know the Leafs have finally tried to add some physical depth, but none of the games (Isles included) that I watched them in seemed all that much different from the past? At least not as much as that crowd would make it seem.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

That whole who’s the grittiest team in the playoffs thread, with all of these flexing Leaf fans have me interested in that game.

I know the Leafs have finally tried to add some physical depth, but none of the games (Isles included) that I watched them in seemed all that much different from the past? At least not as much as that crowd would make it seem.
All of them! LOL Love the first round. One (the only?) good thing about the Islanders NOT being in the playoffs is that I have the time and energy to really watch and enjoy the entire playoffs. The MIN/DAL series has the makings of a doozie. the Ranger-Devils and Leafs/TB ones should be great as well. Need something like the Dumba hit in those series to really amp things up.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

The Leafs remind me of the Penguins from a few years ago. Stacked up front and question marks in goal that ultimately were their undoing. Now it’s Toronto that has to figure out if Matt Murray is the answer or give the net to Ilya Samsonov.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
C5CA05B0-2CC4-4772-BDFA-2477C368C6E2.gif

My second favorite team (this week) is playing tonight.

Gonna channel Puddy from Seinfeld.
LGD

Reactions: eoin92 and Big L

Big L

Feb 7, 2013
CT
Big Devils fan. Hope their crowd drowns out the rags chowds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad