2023 NHL Entry Draft Thread (June 28-29, Nashville, TN) -- Who is your choice at 3rd?

Who do we choose?

• Fantilli

Votes: 23 11.4%
  • Carlsson

Votes: 138 68.3%
  • Smith

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • other

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Michkov

Votes: 16 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Even if Smith ultimately ends up as a winger, you think his ceiling is 50 points? He has the skill to get 80-90 pts without even trying
I’m being whiny. I admit it

But I do think his ceiling is around 60-70 points. Which is obviously really good. But I think it’s as a winger, and I. Think Carlsson can be a 60+ point two way dynamo.

Normally when you draft a will smith you would be really happy. But not this year at at third overall. And not when you need an actual center

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’m being whiny. I admit it

But I do think his ceiling is around 60-70 points. Which is obviously really good. But I think it’s as a winger, and I. Think Carlsson can be a 60+ point two way dynamo.

Normally when you draft a will smith you would be really happy. But not this year at at third overall. And not when you need an actual center

I could see Will Smith scoring 80 pts, but 80 pts with a bad two way game isn't worth that much in this league. Like you could get DeBrincat or Scheifele right now and it probably won't cost you a top ten pick. It's certainly not what our team needs.

For the record, I don't expect Carlsson to score fewer points than Smith and I don't think he's less talented.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
IMO if Jarmo takes Smith and he doesn’t end up as a C, he’s done. This is where you draft franchise centers, you have to get it right.
If Columbus doesn't do a lot better in the next few years, Jarmo will be gone before we can know what Smith will be. And if he starts winning at a high rate, no one will hold Smith's eventual position against him.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Holy fk people are saying Carlsson is too "tiny" to play in NHL. Sebastian Aho looks like 12yo boy and he is doing fine. Carlsson was great in SHL among men and he is strong enough to play in NHL.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I could see Will Smith scoring 80 pts, but 80 pts with a bad two way game isn't worth that much in this league. Like you could get DeBrincat or Scheifele right now and it probably won't cost you a top ten pick. It's certainly not what our team needs.

For the record, I don't expect Carlsson to score fewer points than Smith and I don't think he's less talented.
Do you buy the current rumors? Just asking for your opinion on the recent developments

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I didn’t say higher upside, I said higher skill. And I always take higher skill over two-way “safe bets”. And this is just my own opinion from my own eyes, I’m obviously not a paid NHL scout. I also dont rate the SHL at all and it’s not like Carlsson was destroying that league

So you are just looking at 1 zone when talking about skill?

Look at Barkov, he’s one of the most skilled players in the league who also happens to be a 3zone player.
His off the puck play/defense/strenght on puck are also skills, elite skills he has on top of his elite offensive skill set

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
15 goals 50+ assists with good defense is fine with me
Averages for some selected C's:
Bergeron 27g's,38a's
Krejci 22g's, 44a's
Backstrom 20g's, 57a's
Kopitar 24g's,47 a's

So I think you are a bit light on g'sa and a bit heavy on a's but 65 pts seems like a reasonable hope, expectation for a 1c,

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Bergeron 27g's,38a's
Krejci 22g's, 44a's
Backstrom 20g's, 57a's
Kopitar 24g's,47 a's

So I think you are a bit light on g'sa and a bit heavy on a's but 65 pts seems like a reasonable hope, expectation for a 1c,

There’s nothing in his game to suggest Carlsson couldn’t score at a similar pace

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Bergeron 27g's,38a's
Krejci 22g's, 44a's
Backstrom 20g's, 57a's
Kopitar 24g's,47 a's

Just was using some numbers that were given to me. I think Carlsson can score 20

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Wheeler has us picking Smith

If I was doing a mock draft I'd probably have CBJ taking Smith, too. There's nothing lost in having guessed wrong if a team goes chalk, but there's some pats on the back to be had if you guess right with a non-consensus guess.

This is not me saying there's no chance Smith is the pick. I'm just offering my opinion about mock drafts.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Wheeler has us picking Smith

There are two types of mock drafts. There is the mock where you make yourself the GM of every team and the mock where you try to predict what any particular team will do. This seems like the latter. There has been so much smoke around Smith I think they take him.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
That is one of the reasons why Fantilli and Carlsson are valued higher than Smith. They are doing it in higher leagues (stiffer competition) and they all are the same age - consider that. They are safer bets.
Except for the fact that the USNTDP plays NCAA teams as well.

Will Smith vs the NCAA: 16G 24A 40P in 22GP 1.82 PPG

Adam Fantilli vs the NCAA: 30G 35A 65P in 36GP 1.81 PPG

“Yeah but Will Smith plays with better players at the program!”

Really? Because Fantilli played alongside Brindley and McGroarty.

D-1:

If we take Smith I’ll be very happy.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If Carlsson wasn’t 6ft 3 210 lbs , Will Smith would easily be the pick..measurables are usually overrated unless we are talking extremes . Will Smith barely 18, is 6ft 183.. it’s not like we are talking about a small player . He’s more dynamic , much better shooter .. Heck , it’s a struggle to find videos of Carlsson beating the goalie one one one…and I would argue he also has better vision and anticipation .. Wheeler has said he could see him as a 100 point player in the NHL, and NTDP has put some stud centers in the NHL as of late

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I really don't think you can lose with either Fantilli, Smith, or Carlsson and everyone's arguments and stats have really driven that home. I will say that we do seem to be the perfect landing spot for Fantilli as he seems to need teammates more to unlock his potential as he is less of a creative playmaker and more of a disruptor and scorer which meshes well with Johnson and Gaudreau so all things being equal I think I lean his way over other options due to the physicality which we badly miss.

All that being said I think my favorite scenario at the moment would be if we were able to swing a trade with Montreal and they guarantee they are taking Michkov in exchange for 5OA and Dach and while still landing one of the three Centers but I doubt that happens.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
If Carlsson wasn’t 6ft 3 210 lbs , Will Smith would easily be the pick..measurables are usually overrated unless we are talking extremes . Will Smith barely 18, is 6ft 183.. it’s not like we are talking about a small player . He’s more dynamic , much better shooter .. Heck , it’s a struggle to find videos of Carlsson beating the goalie one one one…and I would argue he also has better vision and anticipation .. Wheeler has said he could see him as a 100 point player in the NHL, and NTDP has put some stud centers in the NHL as of late
Nobody is debating that he’s not more dynamic or a better shooter

It’s just Carlsson is better at literally everything else.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
You favor Smith over Carlsson. That's certainly valid.

That somehow Smith is leaps and bounds the better player than Carlsson, and that Carlsson basically has a few inches as his only advantage as a draft prospect, is both hilarious and patently wrong.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Nope I had no idea. I thought players who get drafted stay the same player forever, thanks.
Sure, we get the sarcasm and the joke but to read this board it certainly seems like Smith is the only one who can't develop or improve his game. I've been on record that I like him. I also like Fantilli and Carlsson and would still put Smith behind the other two but I do find it odd that Montreal, San Jose and Anaheim all appear to be very high on him as well. Yeah, I get it... GM and draft speak but this board acts like the kid is a complete waste and unable to play the game of hockey. That's what bothers me with this discussion the past 3 months.

I can respect the strong feelings for some of you but think you're short sighted and blinded by what you think is correct and everyone else is wrong. We'll know if 3 years for all these top of the draft kids. Fantilli, Carlsson or Smith instantly become the CBJ #1 prospect. Period. They are all expected to be that good (based on scouting and reports). Will they be? we'll have to wait to find out.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Sure, we get the sarcasm and the joke but to read this board it certainly seems like Smith is the only one who can't develop or improve his game. I've been on record that I like him. I also like Fantilli and Carlsson and would still put Smith behind the other two but I do find it odd that Montreal, San Jose and Anaheim all appear to be very high on him as well. Yeah, I get it... GM and draft speak but this board acts like the kid is a complete waste and unable to play the game of hockey. That's what bothers me with this discussion the past 3 months.

I can respect the strong feelings for some of you but think you're short sighted and blinded by what you think is correct and everyone else is wrong. We'll know if 3 years for all these top of the draft kids. Fantilli, Carlsson or Smith instantly become the CBJ #1 prospect. Period. They are all expected to be that good (based on scouting and reports). Will they be? we'll have to wait to find out.
What is most important for us, even more important than how their respective NHL careers go, is laying down our opinions now so we can complain and post "told ya"s when the time comes.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You favor Smith over Carlsson. That's certainly valid.

That somehow Smith is leaps and bounds the better player than Carlsson, and that Carlsson basically has a few inches as his only advantage as a draft prospect, is both hilarious and patently wrong.

Funny how superior Smith is yet there are zero franchise C’s from Smith mold in the NHL.

& Carlsson types are the most valuable when it’s time to win real games

Reactions: majormajor

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
IMO if Jarmo takes Smith and he doesn’t end up as a C, he’s done. This is where you draft franchise centers, you have to get it right.
This, right here. I agree at #3OA we don't need a 15g, 50a guy. That's not a franchise center in my book regardless of how good the defense is. He should be part of 80-90 goals to be a franchise C and I think given the hype of this draft that should be the expectation at #3OA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad