2023 NHL Draft situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
I don't think the Hawks are looking to be competitive this season by going in to the season with Mrazek/Stalock as their goaltending duo. Realistically, why would this team with this roster look to be finish as any sort of "middle of the pack, picking mid first round" type of team?

Let's face it guys and gals, this team is nearing the end of the Kane/Toews era. An era that saw the franchise reach the pinnacle 3 times. They are going to need to find their next stars. Finishing with a crappy first round pick this season in this draft is worse case scenario. I mean you could strike gold with a mid round pick, but this team could definitely use a Bedard/Fantilli/Michkov(if he ever decided to come to the NHL). Let's hope that the likes of Reichel, Nazar, Korchinsky can complement the next batch of Hawks stars.

I really can't see this team finishing dead last in the league, honestly. There are too many god awful teams in the NHL this season, all likely by design to try and get Bedard.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I don't think the Hawks are looking to be competitive this season by going in to the season with Mrazek/Stalock as their goaltending duo. Realistically, why would this team with this roster look to be finish as any sort of "middle of the pack, picking mid first round" type of team?

Let's face it guys and gals, this team is nearing the end of the Kane/Toews era. An era that saw the franchise reach the pinnacle 3 times. They are going to need to find their next stars. Finishing with a crappy first round pick this season in this draft is worse case scenario. I mean you could strike gold with a mid round pick, but this team could definitely use a Bedard/Fantilli/Michkov(if he ever decided to come to the NHL). Let's hope that the likes of Reichel, Nazar, Korchinsky can complement the next batch of Hawks stars.

I really can't see this team finishing dead last in the league, honestly. There are too many god awful teams in the NHL this season, all likely by design to try and get Bedard.
I think we will be the worst team in the laegue next year. also we have the worst X-GA so we are shooting really higher then Expected and gettin some pucl luck.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Right now Hawks are standing in 10th
draft position pre-lotto..it iof course spillway too early ...nobody expected STL and Columbus to be this bad...maybe that will correct..

Toews is not goubg to keep shooting at such a high% and even with tgat Hawjs offense is worst in tge league

So Hawk willdrop spots...drop more with sone TDL trade outs...

Also the Pacific Division is bad except for Vegas and the surprising Kraken...but Arizona could rise to a finall higher points total than Hawks because they play in such a bad division ...

So Hawks nat be 5-7draft position ore-lotto by TDK ...then after TDL selk-off maybe drop a few mirexsoits,

So top 3 could still be achievable. Hawks offense so bad that it will be bottom 1, 2 ,ior 3 worst in the NHL .So drop down inevitable

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Right now Hawks are standing in 10th
draft position pre-lotto..it iof course spillway too early ...nobody expected STL and Columbus to be this bad...maybe that will correct..

Toews is not goubg to keep shooting at such a high% and even with tgat Hawjs offense is worst in tge league

So Hawk willdrop spots...drop more with sone TDL trade outs...

Also the Pacific Division is bad except for Vegas and the surprising Kraken...but Arizona could rise to a finall higher points total than Hawks because they play in such a bad division ...

So Hawks nat be 5-7draft position ore-lotto by TDK ...then after TDL selk-off maybe drop a few mirexsoits,

So top 3 could still be achievable. Hawks offense so bad that it will be bottom 1, 2 ,ior 3 worst in the NHL .So drop down inevitable
If I have interpreted this correctly, then I agree.

• Haha
Reactions: EddieTheEagle

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
I think we will be the worst team in the laegue next year. also we have the worst X-GA so we are shooting really higher then Expected and gettin some pucl luck.

Being the worst in the league in a year where the draft seems stacked is actually a good position for a team to find itself in.

The team will eventually turn the corner and be back to being a perennial playoff team but this is definitely not the year where a team would strive to just be "meh". There's too much at stake to get a high potential future face of the franchise.

Like I said, Kane and Toews are in the final year of their 10.5 million per season deals. The roster was able to be much deeper over 4 lines and over 6 defensemen when they were making 6.5 per season. I mean I understand it, they helped the team hoist 3 cups in a 5 year span, what more could fans expect from their franchise players?

They would have 3-peated if they hadda beaten the Kings in the WCF in 2014 too, I'm sure of it.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
If I have interpreted this correctly, then I agree.
You have better odds of winning Powerball than interpretting Fiddy.

Screenshot_20221110-174447_Chrome.jpg

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
Agreed...especially with the trade deadline selling that will most certainly happen...

Not that this is uniquely your narrative:

When I hear people mention a drop in performance after the trade deadline I do agree, but ever other team as bad as the Hawks will jettison their players as well. We won’t be the only team with post TDL performance issues.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Not that this is uniquely your narrative:

When I hear people mention a drop in performance after the trade deadline I do agree, but ever other team as bad as the Hawks will jettison their players as well. We won’t be the only team with post TDL performance issues.

Good point and it makes trading well before the TDL a good plan. Obviously the trading partner would have to want to make the trade earlier than the TDL and will have had to accrue enough cap space to make the trade - but it should be the objective to trade as early as possible for not only weakening the team as early as possible but also to beat other teams to the punch in offloading their tradeable assets.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
Assuming Kane picks it up at some point and is eventually traded, the drop off this team experiences after the fact might be unmatched by any other team.

Reactions: Sinbad

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Assuming Kane picks it up at some point and is eventually traded, the drop off this team experiences after the fact might be unmatched by any other team.
I could see Kane, Toews, Domi, AA, Lafferty, and Dickinson moved (even though they have more term). By some miracle, we can also move a D like Johnson or Tinordi... looking at it, it seems like a lot that could be on the go and is probably unrealistic but I will dream regardless. I imagine cap dumps will be coming back our way to fill the slots and sweeten the return.

Reactions: Sinbad

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I could see Kane, Toews, Domi, AA, Lafferty, and Dickinson moved (even though they have more term). By some miracle, we can also move a D like Johnson or Tinordi... looking at it, it seems like a lot that could be on the go and is probably unrealistic but I will dream regardless. I imagine cap dumps will be coming back our way to fill the slots and sweeten the return.
I would expect half of that group to be traded at the most. But next year we will be very poor and not much in the pipeline ready for the next 3 years or so. It will be pretty barren.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
They would have 3-peated if they hadda beaten the Kings in the WCF in 2014 too, I'm sure of it.
They would have dismissed the Rangers at least as easily as the Kings did. I think the Hawks ran out of gas in game 7 vs the Kings in 2014. They were down 3-1 in that series at one point and fought back to force a game 7. I blame Quenneville's lineup decisions for that more than anything else because what he did in game 5 and for the rest of the series was obvious to all by game 2 and he waited until they were facing elimination to do it. If Q shakes up the lineup in game 3-4 the Hawks probably win that series in 6. I know it's only one more series, but idk if Keith has that 2015 run in him if he's coming off an offseason of partying. They were on a revenge tour in 2015 because they knew they let one get away the previous season. Without that motivation, I think they can get out of the West but I'm not sure if they could beat Tampa. If I had to choose, I'd accept the 2014 cup and a repeat championship for the 2015 one. It could have been a symbolic changing of the guard in that situation, similar to Tampa/Colorado in 2022.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So summing it up sofar:

Hemmed in own zone and Dominated 5x5...somehow Hawks only 10th worst on NHL overall standings...not fair. Should be worse.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Five weeks into season update of tankathon draft position

1.San Jose
2.Columbus
3.Anaheim
4.St.Louis
5.Ottawa
6.Vancouver
7.Nashville
8.Calgary
9.Pittsburgh
10.Washington
11.CHICAGO
12.Minnesota
13.Buffalo
14.Montreal
15.NY Rangers
16.CHICAGO(from TB)

Hawks would pick 11, 17(TB) 45, 51, 75 and 91(Dal)...
Callum Ritchie and Ryan Leonard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad