2023 NHL Draft situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
How does this look in a vacuum? I feel like it's generous to Pittsburgh, which probably means it's fair?

1687545761322.png

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
Get me 3-4 centers out of this draft class. If you could add Bedard, Yager, Heidt, and Sawchyn for example in one class to a group of Nazar, Greene, and Safanov, that would be something else. You can never have too many centers. It's a good problem to have. You can always kick them out to wing if there is a logjam.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
If Edstrom makes it to #35 and we have nit traded tge pick then I will be ecstatic..It seem Bob Mckenzie has him still there at #37 on hiscFibal Rankings but though I usually disagree with Corey Pronman ,I think he is correct that Edstrom will prove to be worthy of his #18 overall VALUE..

There are other higher ranking guys on Mckenzie list but just because McKenzie vuses a poll of 10 actual NHL scouts in the payrolls of 10 different NHL teams to form his likely consensus of teams draft biard ranking ..therecwull be both a few reaches of lower ranked off this list being taken much earlier by teams targeting tgatboick OR there will be correctbir near picks to the Mckenzie list that never fulfill the NHL scouts hopes for their ceilings...This no guarantee a player taken 35th will be worse than a kid taken at #19..
This side even IF I concerned that Edstrom is not a #19 value because hisvupside is not likely to hit some dazzling star offensive numbers,he may be one of the highest Fkoir players i the draft...He really does not have a glaring weakness that shoutsctgat he cannot be a significant long career 3rd line Center with Pp and OK specialties that help a teM win..The good 290ft gamec5z5 with great defensive ability.. You need 1cof your Centerrsc o have those traits along with size...strength (will geteven better as he fills his frame) high hockey IQ that provided him with great positioning...the ability to retrieve loose pucks,win board battles...exceptionally good around he net and Superb as a netfromt goalie screener which is golden for the PP...great on the Pk with his long reach and positioning.So he is fast enough along with his hicey sense and reach to make up for not being among the top skatersof this draft...put it this way ..he looks a lot faster than Gabe Perrault and in any case that hurts Perrault on the back check ..
Yet Edstrom alerts seems to be in the right position so that he is not noticeably slow on bsck'"checjing..He checksvthe clmpetecand physicality boxes.There is so much to admire about his mature and helpful style of play...Yrs he lacks the dazzle factor ..so what?Do you want a +25 centre scoring g 60-70 points or some pizzazz talent who scores 90+ points but is only +5 to -25 in 5x5?
We already will have 3 pizzazz scoring talents on the team in Bedard,Reichel and Nazar (when he gets here)..You want another pizzazz offensive giy at the expense of a big 200ft shutdown cebter who also contributes big on the Pp bet front and on the pk?

Edstrom is very useful and a very goofvhockey pkayer though he will not carry the puck through 5 checkers to score the highlight goals..he just does the right things to help tge offensive stars max out their games and providing defensive suport.

To me I think Hawks need this type of pkayer to balance out tge future team od 1 suoerztar and several other offensive stars
. Somebidy has to fo the heavy lifting and Edstrom woukd be perfect..You coukd move him to 1C or 2C if there was an injury to Brdard irvtge 2C center
.Or he coukd beca permanent 2C anyway .

I just so nit see why we should gamble he ksdts to #35
.Surely sone teams between 19 and 35 will also see tge value for such a versatile and realky goidvhovkeybpkayer.Not dazzling but so solid and useful and Necessary.

And you never know...Maybe he develops his longer range shot ..If he does that then you really have an exceptional pick because the rest of his tool box is goid or really good.

If we did gamble and got homat #35 and tgevusial suspects Honzek orBut was who we took itstead at#19 hopingbthey reach their ceiling instead of just being another average guy who never go to potential,then as longs we got Edstrom I do not care.Because I just know Edstrom does so many things above average that whatever he lacks does not matter ..He will have a long successful and good nhl career well above average for any 2nd roubder.HEwill ve important to a teM.

If we took Stenberg at #19 then if we got Edstrom at #35 I would love that because tghy already have chemistry as we saw at theu18s..

If Hawks gambled they coukd get Edstrom.as a later first ...ssay28th by making a deal with the Leafs for#35 and takingva contract,I amok with that as kong as we get Edstrom..do not want sinevother team to pluck him.

The 1 thing with alk the Hawks pizzazz guys is thatvtgere is only 1 puck.If all your pkayers were skunked pizzazz ...whining their linevgorscto battering the boards to get pucksvto them..Who plays defense on their lines to prevent them just bringing offense at the sacrifice of average to maybe even oir defending?

The team must be balanced out with different categories of useful value.

You are not doing a fantasy points draft but ratger a draft to assemble all the right parts...Tge cannot be all the same parts.

The guycat tgexwheekndruvibg tge bus is not the guy who can always but tge brakes on to save lives (in this case goals agaibst)..You need a balance to control the bus to the end of its successful journey.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
How does this look in a vacuum? I feel like it's generous to Pittsburgh, which probably means it's fair?

View attachment 720513
Carter has a full NMC....but if he would wave (probably only if the Hawks promising to buy him out), this is probably light on value to the Penns. Carter is only owed 3 w/ a 3.125 cap which the picks in this trade are like a late first in value to dump him. 3 million is more like a 3rd to dump. Honestly, you would have to add our own 2nd to the other two 2nds to get close to fair value.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Carter will turn 39 yrs old January 1st and asked for NMC specifically because he did not want to relocate again after arriving in Pittsburgh.

He also is coming off abysmal year so the idea of Hawks buying him out after trade is probably not appealing to him since there is no guarantee an NHL team would come calling

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Some mocks have Yager taken at#19 by Chicago...this is a realistic possibility because his consolidated ranking is #17and Bob Mckenzie and his 10 NHL scouts' pill has himat #15 ..But if hevus nit taken at 15 or 16,then atc17 Detroit might be taking Wilander on D...and at 18 WIG has liked the Big guys ..so maybecHonzek goes to them..In this scenario Yager isctgerexay #19....so a 15-19 spit for Yager is probably a accurate ranger of where ge goes and nobody can accise KD for any reach if he picks Yager..though atc170 lbs on a 5'11 or 6'0 ft height Yager will need to add weight and muscle for the NHL level..

Of Calgary at #16 takes Yager and Honzek is off to WOG at #18,KD could then take Stenberg at #19 or if he thinks Edstrom will not lats pastvlatec20s take him earlier than where his consensus range is at s late 20s to early 39s...McKENZIE has Edstrom at #37 but Craig Button has him at #23 and Cory Oronman has himat #18 ...so there are actual debates on how high to take him OR do you value points ceilings vs 2 way excellence in all 3 zones in 5x5 plus utility as a great pk guy and a great PP goalie screener and net front guy ...I'm effect you get a triple value player with a high high flor at tge expense of a flashier top points guy projected ceiling.
We know what happens to fkashierctop offensive guys in tighter checking playoff games..they get neutralized..The guys like Edstromwill play the same way and be effective when checking gets tighter ..he excels in tight checking situations.

So if Yager is there KD probably goes for the more dynamic and higher ceiling offense..but if all hiscprefferrdctargets gone by #19then he should think of maybe cementing Edstrom earlier and not risking he makes it to #35 ...or he should make a deal to move into the 20s if Edsyrom still on the board..I think a deal could be me with the Leafs at#28 but again a team earlier in the 20s could take Edstrom.

I do not know how it all plays out...All I know is that I would love to add Edstrom to our pipeline.

Some have compared Edstrom to Minnrsota's Joel Erikson EK ..Nig 2 wayvC =61 points and a goid plus /minus..

I think Edstrom has even 1 superior trait over EK and that is goalie screening..I think hebis the best in this entire draft in that aspect that hardlyvever gets credit from scouts..Often the guys who screen well at netfront do not even get points to on the pp ..but their job is essential for more successful pp team scorong.

So it all depends on what you value most...more dynamism and creativity or longe range shot vs.all round...great defensive pkay...win board battkesand loose pucks races ...playbon greasy area around the net and triple valuevusefulness =5x5 +PK +PO

Yager though smaller also competes in all 3 zones and also can be used on Pp and PK ...but he is not the net front Big that also will just as effective in that role in playoffs in tighter checkingvand does nit have the size and power and balance to push through those tighter checking intense battles.

There are pros and cons to each player...

I think KD goes for Yager as top on his niardcat #19 if hevisctgere..but I woukdcstill love for him to try to move back up into the 20s if he sees a chance to grab Edstrom...because we need all types of player and a mix of skill and size.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I'm starting to warm up to Simashev and if hes there at 19 that should be the pick.

The guy on elite prospects said if Cristall isn't on the first line he's not an NHL talent and useless.

So yeah....about taking Bedards best friend in the first round in a stacked draft.....

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

Joemoe

Aug 3, 2015
Anybody getting nervous that the Hawks will trade down from 1?
I am more nervous of Musto putting some voodoo curse on KD to get him to say Andrew
Cristall instead of Connor Bedard than trading the pick.

pnch40

May 31, 2015
Sorry to ask here but not thread worthy. Does anyone know how long each team is on the clock for the 1st round? Trying to determine if I’ll be able to watch the first round

pnch40

May 31, 2015
The Bedard pick should only take like 30 seconds but Davidson is gonna milk it a bit for the Nashville crowd to really drink it in. :naughty:
Thanks. I kept finding the 3 minute thing but figured that wouldn’t/couldn’t be right. Draft starts at 4 my time and I work at 6. Really hoping I get to see the hawks trade up before I leave at pick 11

Idk why the f it quoted you. Thanks @Styles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad