2023 NHL Draft situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Waaaay too early to be looking at tankathon and I urge anyone to not even pay attention to it right now for your sanity. Yes it's fun to look at but it's meaningless with teams barely (at most) 10 games into the season. Start paying attention when teams are at least around or past the halfway point.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Waaaay too early to be looking at tankathon and I urge anyone to not even pay attention to it right now for your sanity. Yes it's fun to look at but it's meaningless with teams barely (at most) 10 games into the season. Start paying attention when teams are at least around or past the halfway point.
Disagree...it’s called optimism...absolutely love thinking of what might happen! Hey if TB really tanks we get a guaranteed extra shit at 1st overall in 2015

Reactions: DrDorrian MD

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
What I have going in this thread is no different than what EVERY fan, EVERY Hawks fan does everyday when they look at the standings...every day, after every game, that’s what we fans do...

Reactions: DrDorrian MD

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
What I have going in this thread is no different than what EVERY fan, EVERY Hawks fan does everyday when they look at the standings...every day, after every game, that’s what we fans do...

I don't look at the standings until after the New Year. Seriously. Whether the Hawks are good, or bad. Because it almost never matters.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I don't look at the standings until after the New Year. Seriously. Whether the Hawks are good, or bad. Because it almost never matters.
This is wrong. There's an oft quoted stat that ~75% of teams in a playoff spot on Thanksgiving end up making the playoffs.

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is wrong. There's an oft quoted stat that ~75% of teams in a playoff spot on Thanksgiving end up making the playoffs.

And? I don't need to look at the standings to know if they are in it or not. It's just silly because position changes so much.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
I learned from the Hawks messaging when Q was coaching that the goal for the season is to play at least at a 0.6 point accumulation pace (or ideally better) because that is usually very close to the playoff cut off. That works out to 12 points accumulated per 10 games, so 96 points at 80 games. I track the Hawks performance through the season after each ten game block played. When a fan does that, it quickly becomes evident that a team isn't a playoff team since making up ground can be very difficult when the games tighten up later in the season.

Last year the Stars and Predators got in at 98 and 97 points respectively, and the Knights missed at 94 points. Up till now the Hawks have taken 9 points out of 16 which works out to 0.5625 pace. They aren't at a playoff pace. For them to screw up the tank they have to be accumulating excess points early in the season which they aren't doing so far.

If this start is a somewhat positive statistical outlier for them the crash back to earth will come soon enough and place them closer to lotto territory. If the team is just good enough to avoid multiple long losing streaks than the fans have to accept that since players throwing games is unethical. A bad team is made in the management suites and nowhere else. KD made the team far less competitive with the number of expected goals he eliminated by moving certain players. Let's see how that works out. The major risk factors are 89 and 13 having contract years, and 23 and Lukas Reichel breaking out.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
If the playoffs started today, the Hawks would face Winnipeg in round one!

Do you now see how silly this is?

Seeding is no different from draft position, in this regard....
I don't disagree. They're going to lose games. I just hope that this early season point grabbing doesn't cost them in May. Even the worst teams end up with 45-60 pts.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
If Hawks beat Wild tonight and if Vegas beats the Jets in regulation,Hawks would tie Dallas atop tge Central Standibgs in points (would be technically 2nd due to idle Dallas having a better GF-GA differential...so Hawks would need to beat the Wild by 6 goals I think to tie Dallas goal differential...)..
In any case no matter how bad Hawks played last night ,they still could be tied at the top of the Central in points in a win over Wild and a regulation loss by the Jets tonight.

Who woukd havecthunk this?

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
As of today we don’t see either Hawks picks til the bottom half of first round...

1.Columbus
2.San Jose
3.Anaheim
4.St. Louis
5.Arizona
6.Vancouver
7.Ottawa
8.Nashville
9.Pittsburgh
10.Colorado
11.Minnesota
12.Montreal
13.Washington
14.Toronto
15.NY Rangers
16.Montreal(via FLA)

Hawks would pick 18th, 21st(TB), 50th, 53rd(TB), 82nd and 93rd(Dal)

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Hawks on pace for 89 points...Winnipeg had
89 points last season and drafted 14th.

Of course it is possible that the league or Western Conference is more competitive this sesdon...maybe 89 points even gets you to final playoff spot..we will see..

So right nowxafterx11GP Hawks haveca points cspture of 1.09 per game ...it would seem Hawks may be hover around a. .500 level or a bit more all sesson.....Right in the mushy middle...

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
I think we should ring the panic bells. The thing is the rest of the league is really bad. The blues and penguins both are on a 6+ game losing streak.

I will perform self-trepanation if the blues get bedard.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
I think we should ring the panic bells. The thing is the rest of the league is really bad. The blues and penguins both are on a 6+ game losing streak.

I will perform self-trepanation if the blues get bedard.
I actually love the fact that some good teams are on a skid and some bottom teams are picking up points that they won't pick up later on when good teams inevitably become good. People are nuts if they think St. Louis will finish below Chicago. Wait until we play the Blues, we will see how good we are.

Reactions: hawksrule

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Again everyone has to remember if you finish dead last you have a 25% chance to win the first pick overall or as Steve Yzean has said before...the rest of the league has a 75% chance at first overall pick...

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
Again everyone has to remember if you finish dead last you have a 25% chance to win the first pick overall or as Steve Yzean has said before...the rest of the league has a 75% chance at first overall pick...
People always bring that up, "It's only a 25% chance..." like those aren't good odds. Would you take a 1 in 4 chance at the Powerball tonight? And it discounts the fact that it's still better odds than anyone else gets. Of course you might not get the number one pick but you're still the favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad