Status
Not open for further replies.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
The more I read on Molendyk the more I like it. Seems like he could be the best skating defenseman in the draft and he's really good defensively.
yeah, those traits don't usually go together, so I love it. I think your defensemen should always be your better skaters. Outside of Josi and Fabbro, we don't really have a lot of quality skaters right now.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The more I read on Molendyk the more I like it. Seems like he could be the best skating defenseman in the draft and he's really good defensively.
It's also intriguing that he was initially thought of as more of an offensive defenseman, but stepped into a shutdown role and excelled at that. Hopefully that means the raw talent in offense is still there and can be tapped into while keeping his defensive skills.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Somebody Columbus really wanted from the leftovers list I guess!

So rounds 2-7 went faster than Round 1.

Best round 2-7 broadcast I can ever remember. It took them into maybe Round 4 before they started drifting, but even when they did, they came back and kept catching things up.
:handclap:

Reactions: Scoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Anybody want to put a stake in the ground and give the epicly too-early "Grade" to cap off the Draft?

Well, you can't beat the entertainment value, even as a virtual watcher, when your team is hosting, so that part was always going to be an A+. And I thought the NHL improved the Day 2 draft coverage enormously, so that also made it more fun as a virtual watcher.

But my grade is really based on the picks. And also that Trotz didn't do anything "crazy" in his Moby Dick quest.

Loved Wood at #15, he was my guy.

Was surprised and slightly disappointed in the moment with Molendyk at #24 since he wasn't on our "expectations radar", but I have come around to understanding that pick, it was solid and I expect will turn out well.

I still don't quite know what to make of the Nilsson pick or the need to give up an extra 5th round pick (#147) just to move up 3 spots on him in particular. I would have been content to just sit and get Morin or somebody at #47. Will be interesting to see why they coveted Nilsson so much.

Lind sounds like a fun player at #46. As does Kiiskinen at #68.

I guess my biggest complaint in this whole draft actually is trading that #79 pick away to Dallas. Their 3rd next year will probably be lower than #79. And if they were so desperate to make that pick, I think they could have given us more than a 6th. But I mean, if you come away from a draft and THAT is your biggest complaint... alright, nice draft eh?

Really love the MacKinnon and Jatkola picks. I think from an "organizational cupboard" point of view, adding the sturdier stay-at-home D and close-to-ready goalie were must-haves at some point in this draft, and those look like good choices in those categories.

Then Willis, Roest, Fink sound like skill guys, undersized, but also with that extra "compete" factor that I think a smaller guy needs. Then the monster Muzatti balances that out - RPI is not a strong program these days, but worth noting his 22 pts was also tied for the team lead there, which bodes well for a big freshman.

1688078431254.png

So yeah, I like the philosophy, I like this draft, I like the later picks, I'll go with the A- overall.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
So yeah, I like the philosophy, I like this draft, I like the later picks, I'll go with the A- overall.

Yeah, A at least for me. We got quality in Wood and Molendyk, quantity with 11 picks plus trades to get us to 11 picks next year, plus helped our organization needs with MacKinnon and Jatkola. Jatkola was rated 2nd European goalie so I think that was a great pick as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad