OT: 2023 MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

At this point the Dodgers are going to forego the bye round and buy themselves into exhibition games during the WC just so that they don't fall out of sync with the time off.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Article on CNBC says that the $700 contract is really closer to $462 mill in todays current value. Hope Ohtani can afford to pay his bills on that. :)

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Here’s a semi-serious question:

In the next recession, will Mark Walter and the Dodgers go bankrupt?

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Are they even that popular in LA? I thought people only cared about the Lakers.

They always have the highest average attendance in baseball every year, and now that number will only go higher with their new additions.

I can't imagine the revenue they will get from Japanese advertisement.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
From a Yankees and Mets perspective, there really wasn't much more either could have done. The guy just made his choice and probably a smart one for him overall.

.....still, it's a win/win for me. If the Dodgers are great, I don't really care. If this blows up in their collective faces, I will chuckle mightily as we watch the early 2000's Yankees in Cali form.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
The Dodgers tv deal alone is insane, they get 334 million a year from Spectrum.

And that Spectrum deal, per subscriber is still less than what YES gets (Spectrum $6.48/subscriber; YES $7.27/per; MLB Average RSN: $3.53).

The Dodgers are 4th largest household draw per game, after Yankees, Phillies (!?!), and Mets.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
From a Yankees and Mets perspective, there really wasn't much more either could have done. The guy just made his choice and probably a smart one for him overall.

.....still, it's a win/win for me. If the Dodgers are great, I don't really care. If this blows up in their collective faces, I will chuckle mightily as we watch the early 2000's Yankees in Cali form.
WFAN was unlistenable for a couple of days. “Steinbrenner and Cohen couldn’t outbid the friggin Dodgers?” It was clear both players wanted to be on the West Coast. Mets offered to make Yama the richest pitcher in baseball history and he took the offer back to LA and said match and I’ll sign. What more could the New York teams do?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
WFAN was unlistenable for a couple of days.
Not really out of the ordinary.

Either way, if a fan is upset about not getting Yamamoto it is because they did not overpay for him. Even the deal he got is probably overpayment. So did people want Cohen to bid 375M against himself? What offer would the Dodgers have not done? They just gave out 700M for Ohtani, so what is roughly half of that?

The Mets need to be smart this offseason at this point. They aren't ready to compete with Atlanta/LA/Philly. No player they sign or trade for is changing that. I'm targeting Woodruff for the Mets. Probably out the whole season, but good for '25. A 2 year deal so he can rehab here and then take the mound in April '25. Maybe Giolito on a 1 year because there is a lot of upside if he can be fixed.

For a bat it has to be Hoskins. His approach is what the lineup needs, his pop would be welcome, and could spell Pete at 1st while providing a legit DH bat. Maybe Joc Pederson, especially since he is a lefty bat with pop.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
WFAN was unlistenable for a couple of days. “Steinbrenner and Cohen couldn’t outbid the friggin Dodgers?” It was clear both players wanted to be on the West Coast. Mets offered to make Yama the richest pitcher in baseball history and he took the offer back to LA and said match and I’ll sign. What more could the New York teams do?
WFAN has been unlistenable ever since joe benigno retired. he and evan were the best.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Some of the same people that yell when NY teams don't land high priced free agents will be the first to complain about other players being overpaid.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
It’s been unlistenable since well before that.

I think if people wanna put some
Blame on Steinbrenner for not matching the offer it’s fair. Mets clearly got used for negotiation here.

I don't think it would be "fair" to Blame Steinbrenner as while the total contract is for $25 million less, the average annual salary is higher (30 vs 27.1) due to 10 vs 12 years and they offered a year earlier opt-out. Even today, $12.5 million a year only buys you a reclamation project, like Luis Severino, or a back of rotation starter in the starting pitcher FA market.

Of course, I would have been happy with the Yankees getting Yamamoto but I think people are underestimating the risk a little bit here. Just in general it seems like all pitchers are great risks these days but also the track record of high end Japanese pitchers coming to MLB has been spotty at best with mostly flashes of great seasons but more towards good production with a good amount of injuries derailing careers.

Reactions: NickyFotiu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad