OT: 2023 MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Is kind of a knife in the heart when a player you want to keep leaves your team for another team in your own state. Imagine how Yankee fans would have felt if Judge signed with the Mets. Rodger Clemmons should some heart when he was a FA. He was persued by George/Yankees but didn't think it was right for the Boston fans to go directly from Boston to the Yankees so he signed with Toronto with a 2 year clause that he could ask to be moved. After the 2 years he asked for the trade to the Yanks. He figured 2 years was enough time.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I am looking forward to the salty tears from Jays fans. Franchise deserves this heartbreaking loss.

And as always, Ohtani 10000% deserves getting the bag, but this contract was bad from a team perspective the moment it was signed.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
if the dodgers dished out 70 million a year i then surely the yankees can sign bellinger. imagine this: paying for both soto and bellinger for the upcoming season would still be cheaper than one year of ohtani. that's 2 potential mvp type of players instead of one, and there's money leftover for a 3rd base replacement or another starting pitcher.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I am looking forward to the salty tears from Jays fans. Franchise deserves this heartbreaking loss.

And as always, Ohtani 10000% deserves getting the bag, but this contract was bad from a team perspective the moment it was signed.
As great as he is I think it will take some time to see if he is worth the reported 10 year $700 million. I'm actually glad its not the Yankees signing that contract especially nearing 30 and coming off an injury.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
if the dodgers dished out 70 million a year i then surely the yankees can sign bellinger. imagine this: paying for both soto and bellinger for the upcoming season would still be cheaper than one year of ohtani. that's 2 potential mvp type of players instead of one, and there's money leftover for a 3rd base replacement or another starting pitcher.

They can.

They can’t sign Bellinger and Yamamoto though.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
As great as he is I think it will take some time to see if he is worth the reported 10 year $700 million. I'm actually glad its not the Yankees signing that contract especially nearing 30 and coming off an injury.
I'm wondering how much is deferred and for how long.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm wondering how much is deferred and for how long.
I know the Mets fans hated Bobby Bonilla day but deferred money is a big difference if interest rates stay higher. I'm curious as well. The details will tell the story.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I know the Mets fans hated Bobby Bonilla day but deferred money is a big difference if interest rates stay higher. I'm curious as well. The details will tell the story.
To be honest, I'm surprised MLB hasn't stepped by now....Dodgers now have 3 "stars" with significant deferred payments.....the longer the deferments, the less luxury tax they have to pay.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
To be honest, I'm surprised MLB hasn't stepped by now....Dodgers now have 3 "stars" with significant deferred payments.....the longer the deferments, the less luxury tax they have to pay.
Some teams and media will complain. I was surprised that George Steinbrenner was one of the hawks to have a salary cap in the MLB. I would have thought the opposite given his spending.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Some teams and media will complain. I was surprised that George Steinbrenner was one of the hawks to have a salary cap in the MLB. I would have thought the opposite given his spending.
I think he knew he was his own worst enemy and that what he was doing was/could be harmful to the future of MLB (not that he would ever have admitted it). As we can see, salaries in MLB have gone haywire and, IMO, this is not sustainable.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Where would we put Bellinger at this point?

The lineup is basically set in terms of position players.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
The only problem with Ohtani is the very thing that makes him unique (Being a front line starter and middle of the order bat in one package) is the very thing that can sink the season of a franchise he's on. Yes you get those two things from one player/one salary but except for this coming season, where he's not pitching, if he goes down, the Dodgers just lost both a top of the rotation arm and a middle of the order bat. It's like losing Cole and Judge all at once and in the middle of the season, that is really hard to come close to replacing. Even if a team like the Dodgers has all the money in the world, if no adequate player(s) (nor prospects to trade/bring up) is/are available....they're f***ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad