Votes: 55 19.6%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 15 5.3%

• Total voters

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Wow!!!!

I just listened Marco D'amico's interview on the French Radio 91.9.

He said that he did about 15 interviews so far with prospects of the June draft and Berkly Catton is the one who impressed him the most:

He said that usually the interviews are 15 minutes long but with Catton's passion of the game the interview was an hour.

He said that he is exactly the type of Martin St Louis cause he is a student of the game.

He gave an example:

Catton told him that last summer he spent hundreds of hours working on his shot but for him it was not enough so he décided to go to a goaltenders camp to speak with them. Catton asked them what were the areas where they were the most uncomfortable in the net. So with the answers that the goaltenders gave him he worked on his shot specically on that.

D'Amico said Catton had the best personnalty he interviewed so far because of his passion , his knowledge of the game etc.

Catton told him thst during the season he watched 15 habs games to study Nick Suzuki's game on 200 foot and Cole Caufield for his release.

I had Catton 3rd overall because of his IQ ( the most important quality for a hockey player). ...this convince me even more..

I find this level of devotion with this level of skill very interesting. The best players have this trait.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Wow!!!!

He said that he did about 15 interviews so far with prospects of the June draft and Berkly Catton is the one who impressed him the most:

He said that usually the interviews are 15 minutes long but with Catton's passion of the game the interview was an hour.

He said that he is exactly the type of Martin St Louis cause he is a student of the game.

He gave an example:

Catton told him that last summer he spent hundreds of hours working on his shot but for him it was not enough so he décided to go to a goaltenders camp to speak with them. Catton asked them what were the areas where they were the most uncomfortable in the net. So with the answers that the goaltenders gave him he worked on his shot specically on that.

D'Amico said Catton had the best personnalty he interviewed so far because of his passion , his knowledge of the game etc.

Catton told him thst during the season he watched 15 habs games to study Nick Suzuki's game on 200 foot and Cole Caufield for his release.

I had Catton 3rd overall because of his IQ ( the most important quality for a hockey player). ...this convince me even more..

That means he post here. Hey Berkly, secret sauce @ 23:30.

dXNoLXVwLmdpZg.gif

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Wow!!!!

He gave an example:

But does he have a hot GF ?

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Kent Hughes said at his presser that he might draft a defenceman, is there something i missed? I don't see them passing what they consider a #1 denfeceman for a 2nd line winger because they have too many defencemen.

As for Poirier, we'll see where he stands in the Bob's final list, i suspect him to be a consensus 1st rounder in the end.
Yeah, Kent Hughes they would take the best player, regardless of position, and that they might take a defenseman.

If it is really close, the tie-breaker might come down to position. He said maybe left-shot defenseman might have less priority, in the case of a tie.

But at the top of the draft, there's not likely to be a tie. Montreal will be really excited about whoever they draft with their top-7 pick.

Reactions: dcyhabs

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If Ducks draft 3rd OA and Levshunov is already drafted, I wonder what the price would be to trade up to guarantee Demidov. I wouldn't be surprised if he fell to us, but I'd rather not take the chance.

Reactions: Rozz

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Wow!!!!

He gave an example:

Yeah, I liked Catton a lot and this just convinced me : he’s the guy we should be drafting.

But does he have a hot GF ?
doesn’t matter if we draft him he’ll have his pick of the litter :laugh:

Reactions: Rozz and Nevins

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, I liked Catton a lot and this just convinced me : he’s the guy we should be drafting.

doesn’t matter if we draft him he’ll have his pick of the litter :laugh:
I am always worry about what people say on interview and their tape/actual game footage. That being said, what he said is very significant at it shows that he is very commited into becoming a better player and that he is looking at solution by himself and looking to integrate new ideas to get better, that is very impressive especially for a 17 years old player.

I really like this attitude from him but I would love to challenge him on his tapes and see how he evaluates himself and what he has to do to improve. Like lack of commitment along the board + defensive work + physicality.

I do prefer a player that work hard to get better and that his willing to constantly work on his weaknesses which seem like it with him. It also help when the player has Elite offensive IQ like him. I have no doubt about his talent but I had some worries about his commitment to get better off/on the ice because it is obvious that Catton will have to continue improving as he still need some work to do on his skating and getting stronger. He is not NHL ready yet but what a talent he could become.

Last edited:

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
It's more than just flavour of the week. That sounds like what some said about Slaf and McTavish.

Some other posters and I have been talking about Sennecke since long before the playoffs. He was #19 on Bobby Mac's list in January. He has been a major impact player for Oshawa since January. He was impressive in the CHL Prospects game. Amazing skills in a frame that has been in perpetual growth spurt and that he is still adjusting to. Playing great in the playoffs when it counts the most, it's harder to get space and you're playing against better teams as the fat has been trimmed out of playoffs.

His climb is similar to Scheifele in his draft year...maybe more impressive. I don't think the Jets have ever regretted taking Scheifele at #7 overall. He might go #1 in a re-draft.

So many here have PTSD because of KK. Upward trajectory in a player's draft year is a good thing.
May want to check on a guy who went 58th overall that year

• Haha
Reactions: SpeedyPotato

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Wow!!!!

He gave an example:

Good post. Catton been my pick all along

Reactions: Rozz and crosbyshow

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It feels like every time I come into this thread, my opinion changes. I am just going to wait for the actual draft or my brain is going to melt.

It's a difficult one to predict. My eyes are on one of Lindstrom, Eiserman, Iggy. Don't hate Catton but we have enough sub 6'-0" forwards. All 3 of Lindstrom, Eiserman, Iggy have size/weight at a young age. Especially Eiserman and Iggy who are not as tall as Lindstrom and 6 months younger.

How good will Catton be? 5'-11" and 163 lbs. If I felt he would be as good or close to P Kane, I'd draft him.

I personally don't get the fall of Eiserman. Reminds me a F Forsberg. Eiserman's goal scoring ability is top notch.... all throughout his career so far. Looking forward to Bob M end of season draft rankings and were he has Eiserman. I believe he had him 4th in his mid season rankings. I think a lot of fans are sleeping on him due to the bandwagon trend influence.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Does he have P Kane type skill in him? 5'-11" and 163 lbs. If we are assembling a cup contender and not a pretender like the Leafs, we need to bring in playoff warriors with skill.
So dont pick Lindstrom cause his IQ is not good enough and his vision.

I like Lindstrom but at I woukd pick those guys in that order:

( apart of Celebrini and Demidov)

Catton
Henelius
Iginla
Lindstrom
Eiserman

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So dont pick Lindstrom cause his IQ is not good enough and his vision.

I like Lindstrom but at I woukd pick those guys in that order:

( apart of Celebrini and Demidov)

Catton
Henelius
Iginla
Lindstrom
Eiserman

I value size and his game but I do wonder how is translates to the NHL. I have not personally watched many games from Lindstrom to know any true authority.

I just voice word of caution. 3rd rounder in the WHL draft and has shown promise this season as an older pick in this draft. The other angle to it is guys his size with his skill do look good when compared to others in the CHL. Lots of 16/17 year olds and smaller 18/19 year olds to capalize on.

I just wish Lindstrom was in the U18's. Really wanted to see what he could do against the best in the world his age.

Call me crazy but I really like Iggy and Eiserman

Reactions: Goalfield22

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
What can the draft experts here tell me about Dean Letourneau?

He's big but has small player skill. Is against weak competition so its hard to project just how good that skill is or how good the IQ is when he plays better competition.

Self aware kid who knows his development path will be long. Going to USHL next year and likely needs an additional 2 to 3 years in the ncaa.

He's a swing for a unicorn, boom or bust.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He's big but has small player skill. Is against weak competition so its hard to project just how good that skill is or how good the IQ is when he plays better competition.

Self aware kid who knows his development path will be long. Going to USHL next year and likely needs an additional 2 to 3 years in the ncaa.

He's a swing for a unicorn, boom or bust.
Worthy of spending our 1st round pick (Winnipeg's pick) on?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Worthy of spending our 1st round pick (Winnipeg's pick) on?
I would not dare. I think he is a very longshot and you basically draft him based solely on his size. His skating is average, his compete is below average, he has some nice offensive traits and he dominated high school but when playing in the USHL he looked behind everybody else. If you draft him, IMO it's a 5 or 6 years project you hope he can become a Brian Boyle/Matt Rempe/McCarron with proper development. He has a lot to work on and I would rather put my attention on more talented players with clearer path to the NHL. (For a 1st round pick at least)

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Wow!!!!

He gave an example:

Great post. I didn't realize that Catton brought this level of commitment and perfectionism, but based on his play, it should not be so surprising. I hope that he is available at our draft position and that HuGo are considering him. He would be my choice at this point, based on the usual mock draft outcomes.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
May want to check on a guy who went 58th overall that year
Haha! I see Kucherov went that year who was on nobody's radar at the top of the draft. OK...one can still make an argument for #2 overall. LOL! It still doesn't change my point that Sennecke's ascent reminds me of Scheifele's and that upward trajectory is a good thing for a player in their draft year. .

• Haha
Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad