OT: 2023 MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I know I'm just some dude and what applies to me doesn't matter for shit, but...LOL. I'm balding and as such I buzz my hair really short, basically as close to an actual shave as you can get without a razor. I consider myself bald.

Even though I've been doing this for several years now, and have accepted it and adjusted to it, I haven't really come to terms with it. I was a punker as a kid and did all kinds of stuff with my hair, which was a huge part of my identity. I don't have that now, so now I do a variety of things with my facial hair--goatee, goatee with chin strap, beard, mustache, soul patch, etc. Since I can't express myself with my hair, I use my facial hair. It always looks very neat and tidy and I never do anything weird with it. I've had people ask if I have a barber do my lines, but it's just me and my own tools.

If I was looking for a new job and an employer told me I had to be bald and the only thing I could have was a moustache, I would explain to them that growing up we'd call those people Chester Chester Child Molester and I wouldn't be working there. :laugh: Again I get it's a different dynamic when your employer is paying you tens of millions of dollars, but the sentiment can definitely still exist and some guys won't go for it.

Reactions: Greg02

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Yeah I can't believe players making multi millions accept this lol.

I mean sure I get it with those who barely have hair but those who have hair and always have I'm surprised they don't tell management to f*** off.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah I can't believe players making multi millions accept this lol.

I mean sure I get it with those who barely have hair but those who have hair and always have I'm surprised they don't tell management to f*** off.

The paycheck is precisely why they do.

I'd like to see them do away with this stupid rule but at the same time there are better hills to die on.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
So here's a hot take: that's stupid.

Almost twice as much as Judge is making for a DH coming off of a UCL injury.

Dodgers will make this back and then some so as an investment from a business stand point it’s fine.

From a team budding perspective? It’s dumb. I know there is deferred money in there but that’s so much money for a guy who isn’t likely to pitch a whole lot longer.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Dodgers will make this back and then some so as an investment from a business stand point it’s fine.

From a team budding perspective? It’s dumb. I know there is deferred money in there but that’s so much money for a guy who isn’t likely to pitch a whole lot longer.
Then again, the Dodgers have reached that "our money isn't actually real" rarefied air of wealth, like Barcelona who are billions in debt, but they pull it out of thin air when it comes to signing players.

Ohtani's contract won't deter them from printing more money if they want somebody else.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Then again, the Dodgers have reached that "our money isn't actually real" rarefied air of wealth, like Barcelona who are billions in debt, but they pull it out of thin air when it comes to signing players.

Ohtani's contract won't deter them from printing more money if they want somebody else.

There are tax thresholds though. At a certain point it just doesn’t become worth it unless you win. For example, the Mets have been bleeding money the last few years.

Betts Freeman and Ohtani in a lineup is LOL though.

I knew this contract would be stupid but this is even more than I thought he’d get. Good for him though.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
The idea that Shohei Ohtani was interested in Toronto was hilarious as well.

He already chose South California once, and even used the Angels again in the latest negotiations, where you knew for a fact he had no interest in signing there. The idea that the Blue Jays were anything but a stalking horse was laughable. The 'leaks' that Toronto is the front runner were as transparent as they come.

But kudos to CAA, they found an add'l 200M in this deal.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There are tax thresholds though. At a certain point it just doesn’t become worth it unless you win. For example, the Mets have been bleeding money the last few years.

Betts Freeman and Ohtani in a lineup is LOL though.

I knew this contract would be stupid but this is even more than I thought he’d get. Good for him though.
Would be hilarious if he went to the Dodgers to finally win and they just kept on being the mid ass Dodgers going out in the LDS.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I do not want the guy to get injured (he is great for the game) but if he does get injured this deal could actually backfire on the 2024 FA the market imo. It would make other teams think longer and harder before making these kind of over the top deals.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
So here's a hot take: that's stupid.

Almost twice as much as Judge is making for a DH coming off of a UCL injury.
Not a hot take.

$70 million for a guy that may not be 100% ever again when it comes to pitching is ludicrous.

I 100% take Soto at $40 million over this. There have to be bonus clauses or something based on stats and games played, not $70 million guaranteed per year.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not a hot take.

$70 million for a guy that may not be 100% ever again when it comes to pitching is ludicrous.

I 100% take Soto at $40 million over this. There have to be bonus clauses or something based on stats and games played, not $70 million guaranteed per year.
That's if Soto does come in at $40m.

His agent is Boras and Boras is going to sell the Ohtani deal as the new standard.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
That's if Soto does come in at $40m.

His agent is Boras and Boras is going to sell the Ohtani deal as the new standard.
$40 to $45 million is where I think he'll land. More than fair since Ohtani is a unicorn that is essentially an all star pitcher and an outfielder when healthy. You're basically getting two players in him. GM's are going to laugh at $70 million for Soto if that's the opening ask.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
$40 to $45 million is where I think he'll land. More than fair since Ohtani is a unicorn that is essentially an all star pitcher and an outfielder when healthy. You're basically getting two players in him. GM's are going to laugh at $70 million for Soto if that's the opening ask.
Yeah but I could see 50. This stupid thing is definitely going to cause a bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad