2023 Coaching Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Not right now, he's not.

What does that even mean?

Yeah no.
Of course he is, why do you think he stayed and Korp was dealt.

Pretty obv.

Maybe not, but it's possible, his numbers aren't that bad, if he had better linemates too.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Check back early next week .. my guess , Jarmo being over deliberate wiffs on Brunette which we already know , and the Rangers snag Roy … it will be Vincent by default .. imagine hiring your assistant head coach , from a team that finished 2nd to last …. Jarmo is a great scout .. losing faith in him as a gm
I mean. It's worked pretty well for Buffalo.. and they finished in last... They were 1 win away from a playoff spot this season..

Former Columbus Chill player and later head coach, Don Granato, was named an assistant coach for the Buffalo Sabres in 2019. He took over as interim head coach during the 2020-21 season when Ralph Krueger was let go, and Granato has since become the official head coach. His Sabres look to finally shed the losing label and return to the playoffs for the first time since 2010-11 after a breakout year this past season.
To a lesser extent, Brindamour took the Canes back to the playoffs for the first time in a decade..
Upon retirement, he took on a player development role with the organization in 2010 and joined the coaching staff in 2011.

In 2018-19, Brind'Amour was officially named the head coach of the Hurricanes. He went on to lead Carolina to their first playoff berth since 2008-09, breaking a nine-year drought, before losing in the Eastern Conference Finals.

Or maybe you've heard of some scrub named Jon Cooper who took over for the 3rd worst team in the league...

Jon Cooper was hired by the Tampa Bay Lightning to coach the then AHL's Norfolk Admirals (now the San Diego Gulls) and they won the Calder Cup in 2012. His Admirals set a North American pro sports record with 28 consecutive wins and he was the 2012 Louis A. R. Pieri Memorial Award winner. With the Lightning changing affiliates, he also led the Syracuse Crunch to the AHL Final the very next season.

Guy Boucher was fired by Tampa Bay during the 2012-13 season, and it was an obvious choice to tab Cooper as the next head coach of the Lightning. Of course, the rest is history as the franchise's winningest coach has gone on to make four Stanley Cup Finals appearances, winning two Stanley Cups.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Jarmo and JD have spent the last two seasons saying we're retooling/rebuilding/whatever you want to call it, you don't do that without ownership approval. They expected the last two years to be somewhat rough. Moving forward however, lottery finishes should unacceptable.

I think we're gonna see a big move or two this offseason honestly.
I could have sworn I’ve heard Jarmo constantly talk about being competitive every year.

Reactions: koteka and Cowumbus

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I could have sworn I’ve heard Jarmo constantly talk about being competitive every year.
What they tell the public and what they say to ownership are two different things. He's still gotta sell season tickets. And they expected another rough season up until they realized they actually were in the conversation for Gaudreau. I think everyone's hopes got a little too high but realistically if everyone mostly stayed healthy that team still could have played its way into the fight for a wildcard or just outside the conversation. They definitely were not a lottery team going into the season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Part of this is the medias fault (Portzline in particular) for assuming “this is the week!” For like 2 weeks now, but part of this is also on the team/jarmo himself.

After the lottery he said he wanted this wrapped up sooner rather than later. He said he first wanted it wrapped up before he left for the worlds (he said it was the goal), and now we’re approaching another week of not knowing

On its face I wouldn’t care. But since jarmo himself said he wanted this wrapped up, it has the appearance of not knowing what they’re doing. Or at least indecisive and second guessing. Nobody asked him to put a timeline on it, but he put one out. Publicly.

I know it’s my impatience talking and I have none of the real details on what’s going into this hire, but it is quite annoying.

That being said, no to Hynes, Green, and Muller please. I’d rather continue to wait

Reactions: GoJackets1

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Part of this is the medias fault (Portzline in particular) for assuming “this is the week!” For like 2 weeks now, but part of this is also on the team/jarmo himself.

After the lottery he said he wanted this wrapped up sooner rather than later. He said he first wanted it wrapped up before he left for the worlds (he said it was the goal), and now we’re approaching another week of not knowing

On its face I wouldn’t care. But since jarmo himself said he wanted this wrapped up, it has the appearance of not knowing what they’re doing. Or at least indecisive and second guessing. Nobody asked him to put a timeline on it, but he put one out. Publicly.

I know it’s my impatience talking and I have none of the real details on what’s going into this hire, but it is quite annoying.

That being said, no to Hynes, Green, and Muller please. I’d rather continue to wait
I do think Brunette may have been the 1st choice, then Nashville came along and changed everything. It was about 2 weeks from the time the NJDs were ousted from the playoffs and he got hired. Jarmo and Co could have done their due diligence before the interview, interviewed him a couple of times, and were set to offer or even offer him the job and it all changed. It can come across as not knowing, but it could be they are just doing a more thorough with Brunette being gone.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The important thing is to have a coach who would use potential of our players and not be afraid to experiment only when 3/4 of the team is injured, and even then not in everything.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Our FIRST choice and a candidates FIRST choice are two separate things. Because and IF Brunette was our first choice doesn't mean a damn thing to Brunette unless he's sooooo green he gets the vapors over a team liking him so much. That's NOT Brunette...

It doesn't make our FO look incompetent if they don't land they're first choice.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I've kept a watch on coaching rumors. Its rare CBJ gets even a mention. Anaheim is a close second. Everyone else gets the spotlight. Might be a reason I'd like Roy. They might look our way.

( Could be good or bad but we'd get PR :rolleyes:)

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I've kept a watch on coaching rumors. Its rare CBJ gets even a mention. Anaheim is a close second. Everyone else gets the spotlight. Might be a reason I'd like Roy. They might look our way.

( Could be good or bad but we'd get PR :rolleyes:)
We certainly got attention because of Torts.

Once again, I lament that we didn't win the lottery. A smaller team without a relentless media apparatus would've been such a good spot for Bedard to get his footing, among friends as well. Good effin' luck with the Chicago fishbowl where you know no one, kid.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
What they tell the public and what they say to ownership are two different things. He's still gotta sell season tickets. And they expected another rough season up until they realized they actually were in the conversation for Gaudreau. I think everyone's hopes got a little too high but realistically if everyone mostly stayed healthy that team still could have played its way into the fight for a wildcard or just outside the conversation. They definitely were not a lottery team going into the season.

He did say that, but now people are using the argument of “well he said that to us sure, but he really meant xyz.”
So we are all saying that we can't believe what Jarmo actually says in public for fan consumption? Does this make him a used car salesman?

Reactions: Monk

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
You'd imagine it's Roy since it looks like it'll be announced next week, but I can't believe not even 'strong interest' has leaked about the subject

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I've been watching golf all day so I haven't had much of an opportunity to state this but I think the fact that it is unlikely anything happens over the weekend as "we are waiting to see if we can get Patrick Roy."

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
At this point there’s only two reasons that make sense for there not to have been an announcement. It’s either the Rangers decision involving a common candidate is a holdup or it’s Roy wanting to await the Memorial Cup conclusion. I’m leaning toward the latter based on the sequence of events though Jarmo strikes me as a guy who might like Lav and Hines’ availability may have given Jarmo a second chance at him.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
At this point it seems that Roy is the hot name that everybody "wants" (to some degree).

We even have teams coming out of the woodwork who are not even urgently looking for a head coach (or to be more specific, fans and/or media). Latest example:

There's like half a dozen teams now "in the running" for Roy.

I wouldn't read too much into our search going into next week to be honest, it might just be a waiting game for the first domino to fall... I kinda expect the Rangers to make the first announcement and after that a couple of other teams including us.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Big if but IF Vincent is their last resort and not sought after elsewhere Id laugh if he'd tell them to shove it or accept elsewhere. I sure hope this doesn't turn in to a crap show.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I don't know why on earth we'd wait for another team. We either have our guy or we don't. The only reason to wait is if they guy they want has multiple offers and is trying to decide which one to take.

I think we are waiting for Roy. If he has multiple opportunities to decide between, we need to make sure the CBJ are the one he wants. Let's not lose sight of the fact that when a coach interviews with a team, he is interviewing us as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino