2023 Coaching Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Well, here we are again.

Jarmo said we would look internally first for the head coaching job, which implies Pascal Vincent (at least) is going to be a consideration.

Who would you like to see as the next coach here? What are important qualities we need in the next guy? This is Jarmo's biggest offseason yet, and has implied he wants to go for the playoffs. That's going to be a massive task.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
My post from the "fired" thread:
I wasn't a supporter of the Larsen hiring. I don't think he's a bad coach or a bad dude, but I wanted a fresh approach and a young, upcoming coach. I decided to believe that Larsen could have been that guy. I think it's hard to determine whether he was or wasn't, with some evidence to support either.

I know Vincent is well-thought-of. I know he might be a candidate for a HC job anywhere. But I don't know as I'd support elevating him in this situation. Again, I think I'd prefer a fresh voice. I tend to agree that a retread NHL coach might be best right now.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Well, here we are again.

Jarmo said we would look internally first for the head coaching job, which implies Pascal Vincent (at least) is going to be a consideration.

Who would you like to see as the next coach here? What are important qualities we need in the next guy? This is Jarmo's biggest offseason yet, and has implied he wants to go for the playoffs. That's going to be a massive task.
Brunette, Quinnipiac’s coach, or the Finnish dude.

Reactions: cslebn

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The ability to adapt would be a nice quality. Dont try and force a system you dont have the personnel for. Offense is going to be the strength of our team so someone who can work with young players and coach offense is good but need some defensive structure

Brunette has to be a leading candidate.

Boudreau is a good players coach who can get teams to score but likely not someone we want around our young defensemen.

Laviolette is a veteran voice that Jarmo might look to bring in this time around.

Vincent could be a good candidate but I doubt hes the 1st choice after what just happened.

I dont think Jarmo tries to get creative this time around so names like Julonen arent even a thought

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Andrew Brunette and Mike Sullivan are my personal favorite candidates. I'd be fine with Vincent as well, and Laviolette would be exciting too. I wouldn't know how to react to Jukka Jalonen, he'd be a "wait and see who knows" guy for me.

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Anyone listening to the Twitter spaces talk rn? Where were all of these complaints about culture / the way practice was conducted DURING the season?
Well there were two instances.

The first one was in Finland. I don't remember who it was, but someone said that the Finnish media was ripping into Larsen for his practices.

And the second one was Gudbranson's comments that they forced him to apologize for.

It was out there, but subtily.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Well there were two instances.

The first one was in Finland. I don't remember who it was, but someone said that the Finnish media was ripping into Larsen for his practices.

And the second one was Gudbranson's comments that they forced him to apologize for.

It was out there, but subtily.
I get that, but why wasn’t it a bigger deal? All these CBJ pundits seem to be piling on after the fact IMO.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I'd bet on Brunette

I love Jalonen but I dont see it happening. Too many questionmarks there

Andrew Brunette and Mike Sullivan are my personal favorite candidates. I'd be fine with Vincent as well, and Laviolette would be exciting too. I wouldn't know how to react to Jukka Jalonen, he'd be a "wait and see who knows" guy for me.
Isnt Sullivan is still in PIT? They just booted the GM and his buddies

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'd bet on Brunette

I love Jalonen but I dont see it happening. Too many questionmarks there

Isnt Sullivan is still in PIT? They just booted the GM and his buddies
Yeah but part of Jarmo's quote was "will see how things shake out around the league". Maybe he expects more movement in terms of available coaches. Atleast he got on top of it and didnt wait until coaches started getting picked up

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Had they originally hired Jalonen instead of Larsen I would've been all for it, he's a great coach and back then the team was in a perfect spot to think outside the box with their hire. I don't think they are in that spot anymore, they can't really afford to give the new coach time, I think what they need now is a tried and true good NHL coach.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Yeah but part of Jarmo's quote was "will see how things shake out around the league". Maybe he expects more movement in terms of available coaches. Atleast he got on top of it and didnt wait until coaches started getting picked up
Sullivan would be lovely if he becomes available

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
This team needs a forward thinking coach who knows h to utilize players to their best without trying to force them into a system. Systems are fine but only if they utilize the talents and not constrain them.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Brunette is my top choice after learning he was in NJ this year. Seems like a good coach for today’s NHL. Shame we didn’t grab Gallant when we could have.

As of now the only guys I know for sure I’d be happy with are Brunette and Keefe. Maybe Sullivan. Maybe Vincent. After that, I’m not sure.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Brunette is my top choice after learning he was in NJ this year. Seems like a good coach for today’s NHL. Shame we didn’t grab Gallant when we could have.

As of now the only guys I know for sure I’d be happy with are Brunette and Keefe. Maybe Sullivan. Maybe Vincent. After that, I’m not sure.
Considering Toronto is playing against Tampa in the first round, there's a good chance that Keefe (and not just him) could be fired.:sarcasm:

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
What are your early predictions on the length of this search? Do they want to hire someone before knowing the actual roster changes in the offseason?

I got the impression from the press conference that Jarmo feels desperate to make a strong push towards playoffs next year. That in itself was an alarming sign to me because it might imply many things I really would not like to see happening, such as rushing our top prospects from Cleveland to NHL next year, overpaying another UFA and hurrying in the coach search out of fear, thinking that a particular coach with great regular season record might not available later if they don't hire them now.

Last edited:
Reactions: EspenK

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think it’s ambitious to expect Brunette. Suspect he’s been promised NJ job. Would be a nice hire, just not sure we’d be able to pry him away.
You think a guy would rather be an assistant than a head coach? Unless he has a handshake deal to take over NJ in the near future I bet he'd be pretty easy to pry away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad