2023 Coaching Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Brunette's loss. Preds have a below average roster with goalie keeping them from getting any high picks. They'll be stuck in the middle forever.

Weird to me how coaches go after people they know without looking where the team is at.

Yeah honestly for someone needing a win that’s a bad place to go.

Zero star talent up front, zero elite prospects(outside of goalie), traded away Ekholm, a 1/2D and Josi has few prime years left.

Nashville is at best looking to be an average team

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This is probably nothing... But I don't recall them ever counting down the release of a behind the battle...

Edit: after looking through their Reddit real quick looks like they've done it a few times in 2021 but it was nothing so, doubt it's anything too important and definitely not coaching related.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I'm guessing the Behind the Battle is just timed this way to tide us over to next week when the decision/announcement is made (at best, at worst it's just completely not related and this release was planned months ago). It's always been a couple of months or a few weeks behind the actual news anyway.

Reactions: CBJx614

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Based on what though?! If we were interested two years ago, why would we suddenly not be interested because he went elsewhere!? He's the AC, he's literally just taking marching orders and doing what he's told. We don't know how involved he was with any aspect of his daily responsibilities.

We LITERALLY were worse than the ducks and multiple teams around the league are still interested in him... His past credentials speak for themselves...
How often has an assistant coach of one of the league’s worst teams ever been immediately directly hired as another team’s head coach? Has it ever happened in the history of the league? I’m not even being flippant; that’s a legitimate question. (Specifically one that’s never been an NHL HC before/doesn’t have any proven NHL head coaching bonafides.)

I do not think he’s a legitimate candidate elsewhere. Again, no, I can’t prove it. But some teams interview upwards of 15-20 guys in the first round of interviews, because there’s no reason not to. So him interviewing elsewhere means little to me without more information or more smoke that he’s an actual very seriously-considered/final round candidate.

That doesn’t even necessarily mean he couldn’t/wouldn’t/won’t some day be a good/great NHL head coach. But yeah, I believe literally the only reason we’re talking about him/he’s an option right now this late in the process is because he’s on our staff. I think there’s no way we would be if he had been the Ducks assistant coach the past two seasons (a team with basically the same results). Which means, to me, he’s only being seriously considered this late in the process (if he even is, by the way, which I’m not certain of because he could’ve been hired at any point in the past six weeks) because he’s an internal guy.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How often has an assistant coach of one of the league’s worst teams ever been immediately directly hired as another team’s head coach? Has it ever happened in the history of the league? I’m not even being flippant; that’s a legitimate question. (Specifically one that’s never been an NHL HC before/doesn’t have any proven NHL head coaching bonafides.)

I do not think he’s a legitimate candidate elsewhere. Again, no, I can’t prove it. But some teams interview upwards of 15-20 guys in the first round of interviews, because there’s no reason not to. So him interviewing elsewhere means little to me without more information or more smoke that he’s an actual very seriously-considered/final round candidate.

That doesn’t even necessarily mean he couldn’t/wouldn’t/won’t some day be a good/great NHL head coach. But yeah, I believe literally the only reason we’re talking about him/he’s an option right now this late in the process is because he’s on our staff. I think there’s no way we would be if he had been the Ducks assistant coach the past two seasons (a team with basically the same results). Which means, to me, he’s only being seriously considered this late in the process (if he even is, by the way, which I’m not certain of because he could’ve been hired at any point in the past six weeks) because he’s an internal guy.

I think the whole bad org = bad candidate thing is kind of a fact of life, but it's definitely more played up for fans than it is for people inside the game. Hockey people already knew who Pascal Vincent was and his reputation doesn't jump up and down depending on where the Jackets finish. It would if he was HC but not as an associate coach with many years of experience.

Reactions: Crede777

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I'm at a point where I don't really care, I just hope whoever they hire is going to work out. It's not like I know much about these coaches in the end anyway. Even ones with HC experience, since there's always bunch of factors in play we don't know much about. Heck, I was ridiculing Panthers for the Maurice hire, seems to be working pretty well for them. Not that Maurice has that great of a track record or didn't have any responsibility in how the Jets turned from a stacked young roster seemingly ready to be a contender for years to whatever that team became, but really in hindsight it seems it was/is a lot more on some of the players and ultimately the GM.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Some people don't know how to interview using Zoom or any other social network, so Jarmo wanted to see him in person. Unfortunately, it was not possible and veterans as Voráček and less injuries saved Lars. That's why, in my opinion, Jakub was more important than Johnny. Btw, count Werenski, Bean, Sillinger (he played better), Bjorkie, Domi, Tex played some time, the excellent Nyquist -- Jenner -- Laine line which saved many games.

And now this season and Lars' stubbornness.

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If someone grew up in NYC and lived in NYC their whole life and then at the age of 30 moved to rural Alabama and lived there for two years, would you consider him a redneck?

Does this NYC-to-Alabama person chew tobacco, drive a pick up truck, and have sexual relations with a first cousin?

PS: I have plenty of southern heritage so I can make a joke like this.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

I wonder who they have talked to that we don't know about it.

Maybe because his tenure in Detroit didn't exactly stand out. yes, it was a rebuild but they never really got much better.

Tampa also regressed this year. Probably not really his fault due to age and cap issues catching up to them but what about Blashill actually stands out to make him a strong candidate?

Reactions: Doggy

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Maybe because his tenure in Detroit didn't exactly stand out. yes, it was a rebuild but they never really got much better.

Tampa also regressed this year. Probably not really his fault due to age and cap issues catching up to them but what about Blashill actually stands out to make him a strong candidate?
I'm not necessarily advocating for him as Id rather grab Vincent/Roy but outside of the redwings, which didn't have the best roster in that time frame, he doesn't have a bad track record having success in both the AHL and USHL before that. He's also coached for the US international teams 7 times and on top of it all he has some goaltending insight.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm not necessarily advocating for him as Id rather grab Vincent/Roy but outside of the redwings, which didn't have the best roster in that time frame, he doesn't have a bad track record having success in both the AHL and USHL before that. He's also coached for the US international teams 7 times and on top of it all he has some goaltending insight.

Not sure what he is doing now or if he is even a candidate but his goaltending coach in Detroit is a former OSU and Chill player. Jeff Salajko. I recall him being a candidate last time when Manny got the job. It looks like he might be coaching goalies at Michigan now.

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Friedman says he’s putting out a written 32 thoughts today. Maybe we’ll see some update there.

They released a 32T podcast today but it contained no answers.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614 and stevo61

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City

Friedman says he’s putting out a written 32 thoughts today. Maybe we’ll see some update there.

They released a 32T podcast today but it contained no answers.

I'm willing to bet it's probably not Vincent at this point. You would think that if he was their choice they would have hired him by now. The question is who is it?

Reactions: Doggy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad