2023 Coaching Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
First call should be to Joel Quenneville.
Second call to the lawyers to get him back in the league. Doesn’t seem like there are many obstacles.
You definitely have those backwards.

You ALWAYS consult your lawyers first, if Jarmo hired Quenneville without consulting both the league and his lawyers, he should be instantly fired.

Having said that, no interest in anyone we have to consult the league and lawyers about.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Although I appreciate Vincent being forward thinking (ie. trying Laine at centre), I feel it's like the Larsen hiring again.....

Babcock intrigues me a bit - CBJ gave Torts another chance at coaching after his disastrous year in Vancouver, and he worked out quite well for us.

I agree with others that the Jalonen experiment opportunity has left the station.

I say we wait until after the playoffs to see who else might become available, no need to rush into a big decision like this.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Did they broom Boll and Dorsett too? Fighters trying to coach up our guys was a disastrous decision.
To the casual hockey fan, it might seem counterintuitive that players known primarily for their fighting ability have ended up as respected coaches, talent evaluators or analysts after their playing careers are through. That part of the game is slowly but steadily being phased out, and the era of having players in the lineup who can fight, but do little else on the ice, is essentially already over.

But many of the players who filled that role in previous eras are contributing to the league in various capacities today. They were never the top point producers on their NHL teams, and part of their job was to literally try and bash in the faces of their opponents. But they picked up other important aspects of the game along the way, because, well, they had to if they were going to survive in the NHL.

One oft-repeated theory about players like Berube and some others who were not elite scorers is that they end up being better coaches because they had to pay attention to the finer details of the sport more than someone who has natural ability.

And there is some truth to that, according to Berube and others who are still in the game today.

“I had to do everything in my power because I wasn’t a very talented player,” Berube said. “I had to watch and learn and do the little things right. I had to be on the right side of things all the time. I had to be good defensively, or I wouldn’t have played in the NHL.”

Bob Boughner, a former NHL defenseman who played 630 career games and posted 15 goals and 1,382 penalty minutes, is currently an assistant coach for the Red Wings. He was previously a head coach in Florida (2017-19) and San Jose (2019-22).

As a player, Boughner was obsessed with the technical aspects of the game.

“Towards the end of my career I spent a lot of time with my assistant coaches and going over drills and X’s and O’s and things like that, because I was so interested in it,” Boughner said.

“You knew you probably aren’t going to get the same opportunities as other guys, and you had to make the best of your ice time. The one thing you didn’t want to do is cost your team by making a system error. You always wanted to provide that physical element, but you also wanted to be responsible so you could earn more ice time.”

Dave Brown was one the most feared fighters in the NHL in the mid-1980s and early 1990s. He’s served in several different roles since he retired in 1996, including as an assistant coach for the Flyers from 1996-98, and as a scout for the New York Rangers from 1998 through 2006, the final of those as their head professional scout.

Brown, who finished with 1,789 penalty minutes in 729 career games, returned to the Flyers organization in 2006 as their director of player personnel. He’s currently listed as their head pro scout.

“I had a front-row seat for a long time, watched a lot of games,” Brown said. “When you’re a bottom-line player, there’s a lot of things you see because you’re just watching. It just teaches you a lot from being around the game.

“As far as playing the game, that didn’t come easy for me. A lot of guys, that was the easy part of the game for them, but as far as playing the game, the mobility and all that, it was probably the toughest part for me to go out there and play a regular shift. Physically, well, I could do that. I was a lot better at that than I was at being a player. But I was good enough that I could be put on the ice and not be a liability. I concentrated on that just so I could play the game.”

[...]While guys like Jagr and some other elite offensive talents view the game through their unique prism, former players like Shelley — 627 games, 18 goals, 1,538 penalty minutes — have perhaps a broader view of team dynamics and what it takes to succeed on the ice.

Shelley explained how he views the game differently than someone like Jagr.

“Well, I see it as plays unfolding in a team concept, the two or three plays that led to the goal,” he said. “I would see it specifically as coverage, whereas they might say, ‘He made this play, processing that these two players would be open and this would happen on the goal line.’

“I’d see more of an unfolding of a breakdown, whereas they would probably see it as setting up the breakdown.”

Shelley’s anecdote serves as a good example of how players like him are almost always thinking about the team rather than themselves. That’s one way they were able to have such long careers, and it’s why they’ve been able to stay in the league in other professions after retirement.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I am going to throw out a name I haven't seen here but a coach I have always liked. A guy who has lots of NHL experience, made turning on-ice failures into on-ice successes quickly a trademark, had much success early in his career (no SC wins) but then had his career derailed by a dreadfully dysfunctional organization. The fact is he has won every where he has coached. And I will say (unless I am mistaken), comes across as a good guy.

Dave Tippett

Thoughts?

Reactions: GoJackets1

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I wanted them to get Jalonen after Torts, and hoping that's done now. Time is now to start winning and he's a proven winner.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Did they broom Boll and Dorsett too? Fighters trying to coach up our guys was a disastrous decision.
Dorsett: correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Dorse is necessarily a coach, not the way you are suggesting. He is listed as a "player development coach". I remember hearing an interview with him earlier this season and I was under the impression he travels quite a bit to wherever our prospects are playing to monitor their development, maintain relationships with the kids and give them guidance on what the organization expects from them. I think he shies away from "coaching up" the prospects because they already have a team and coaches and the last thing he or the CBJ want to do is butt heads with the coaches they have on the teams they are playing for. That's hugely different from coaching players.

Boll: I know he runs voluntary skills sessions with Kenny McCudden prior to regular practices. Mathieu Olivier in particular credited these sessions with Boller and McCudden as helping to improve his game. I don't know about you but I think most CBJ fans here in this forum think Olivier has improved and is far from a net-negative when he is on the ice. If Boller had a hand in that...perhaps he has a future in coaching in some capacity and isn't the "disaster" you suggest. And regardless of what you think, Torts is the one who started bringing Boller onto the bench during the third period of games and I suspect his ability to assess coaching ability is likely far better than yours.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Welp Lots of good candidates ..one would have to think Jarmo can pick the brain of our old asst gm in Fla on Brunette.. that would be my first call . If they want a hardass , would have to think Lavliotte fits that bill . Will be interesting to see who is rumored for interviews .

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Stranger things have happened. Like when TCU changed its mind about joining the Big East in 2012 and instead joined the Big 12. So there's precedent,
Yes but that was TCU changing its mind about joining a smaller less prestigious conference to join a Power Five Conference. Conversely, Trotz just got the job of a GM and you think he might choose to backslide into a coaching gig? Trotz making this move you suggest would be far more strange than TCU ditching the Big East/American Conference.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I am going to throw out a name I haven't seen here but a coach I have always liked. A guy who has lots of NHL experience, made turning on-ice failures into on-ice successes quickly a trademark, had much success early in his career (no SC wins) but then had his career derailed by a dreadfully dysfunctional organization. The fact is he has won every where he has coached. And I will say (unless I am mistaken), comes across as a good guy.

Dave Tippett

Thoughts?
NO

IMO he's another version of Torts

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Stranger things have happened. Like when TCU changed its mind about joining the Big East in 2012 and instead joined the Big 12. So there's precedent,
I was thinking that as well but saw that they had a press conference a few weeks back so I'm assuming contract is already signed. Even if he didn't sign a contract, he has connections to Nashville so I can't see him backing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad