2023 Coaching Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If without jokes, Tampa's time is running out. The team is aging. If the Bolts lose in the first round, I wouldn't be surprised if Cooper is fired. 11 seasons as a first team coach is a lot.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'd be stoked getting Cooper. Don't see him becoming available though.
Probably right but I do wonder what Cooper, the players and management are thinking. As VT points out hes been there forever but hes probably won enough to determine his own fate. Unless the players are actually tired of him and some of the stuff theyve gone through this year like benching the stars. Theyll either respect he does what needs to be done or be tired of listening to him

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Can we get a GM search first?
Not happening. He's going into year 3 of a rebuild. Wrong thread but...

People need to look at Jarmos tenure into 2 separate teams essentially. The team he took over and turned into a playoff contender. And the current team that is being re/build/tooled/set.

Panarin and Bob left which started the end of that team with PLD, Jones forcing their way out and Foligno, Savard and Atkinson getting traded for picks.

/ End of team 1

PLD and Jones getting traded reset the team and likely how ownership are judging the FO. Listening to Jarmo today only solidifies my belief in that when he was talking about how he's said we needed to tear down and reset and build this team from the ground up.

That doesn't happen without ownerships approval, which means ownerships expectations have to adjust as well.. we're finishing year 2 heading into year 3 of that rebuild and all those pieces we have gotten are just now starting to begin to ripen. If we have competent ownership they understand that building a proper team takes time for kids to develop, to expect a retool like NJ is completely unrealistic without a TON of lottery help, which we haven't gotten.

Listen if we're still talking about the lottery for the next 2 seasons we definitely need to look at replacing the FO, but as others have mentioned from the way Jarmo was talking it sounds like they want to be in the playoffs next season at the very least competing for those final spots in the last few months.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Bring that Babcock in. He bullied Marner blaablaa maybe he has learn something about that maybe not, but he has been coaching youngster last years he is unbealivible great coach with high hockey IQ. Or bring in Jukka Jalonen. No one can be worse than Larsen.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Simply put a veteran coach.

The next step should not be lead by a rookie
I really don't want one of the guys who has been through half of the teams in league.

It's not a coincidence that the best coaches in the league (Keefe, Montgomery, Rod, Cooper, Sullivan) are all on their 1st NHL head coaching gigs. (Montgomery only left Dallas because of the Alcohol issues, so Im counting him as first timer too)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I really don't want one of the guys who has been through half of the teams in league.

It's not a coincidence that the best coaches in the league (Keefe, Montgomery, Rod, Cooper, Sullivan) are all on their 1st NHL head coaching gigs. (Montgomery only left Dallas because of the Alcohol issues, so Im counting him as first timer too)
We are ignoring Sullivan's 2 years coaching Boston? Keefe is also pretty meh, he walked into a pretty good situation

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
We are ignoring Sullivan's 2 years coaching Boston? Keefe is also pretty meh, he walked into a pretty good situation
Oh, I missed that. Spent so long as assistant in between the stints. But anyways, someone like Laviolette is at 5th now. I'd rather not us become the 6th

Reactions: Doggy

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
No Vincent. !!!! Significant changes have to be made & I think a person whose only NHL experience is coaching with Lars lacks the background to make the necessary changes in culture and attitude. If We are going to hire Vincent,then we should just keep Lars.

Reactions: MAHJ71

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
No Vincent. !!!! Significant changes have to be made & I think a person whose only NHL experience is coaching with Lars lacks the background to make the necessary changes in culture and attitude. If We are going to hire Vincent,then we should just keep Lars.
He was an assistant in Winnipeg for years before going down to be the head coach in the AHL. Tricky spot because he was a highly touted coach and its hard to know how different his philosphies are than Larsen's. Its no different than Larsen and Torts. They differ wildly, just happens that Larsen was a worse coach. Im all for Brunette but its tricky with Vincent, he could be an A+ coach and one who got away but we talk ourselves out of it because its similar to how Larsen was hired

Oh, I missed that. Spent so long as assistant in between the stints. But anyways, someone like Laviolette is at 5th now. I'd rather not us become the 6th
Even Scotty Bowman coached 5 teams

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I honestly had no idea Sullivan was an HC that long ago. Overall extremely solid results.

As for Keefe, he did walk into a good situation but he had a lot of success in the AHL, and he’s also done a good job keeping the Leafs consistent (except playoffs, but bad format) despite a very inconsistent roster from year to year.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Bring that Babcock in. He bullied Marner blaablaa maybe he has learn something about that maybe not, but he has been coaching youngster last years he is unbealivible great coach with high hockey IQ. Or bring in Jukka Jalonen. No one can be worse than Larsen.
Never say never. The biggest issue with Jalonen right now is the cultural difference. He's unproven in the NHL and that's a major flag when looking for a proven NHL coach to lead a young team unsure of itself. We can't have a coach who is unsure of themselves and unsure if their systems are effective or not in a league they've never been tested.

Like others said I was fine with him in the initial search for Larsen, but I think that ship has sailed.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Hire one of the female assistant coaches. The NHL would want her to succeed for the publicity so they would rig the lottery. Then when you don't get calls from the refs you can accuse them of being sexist.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I honestly had no idea Sullivan was an HC that long ago. Overall extremely solid results.

As for Keefe, he did walk into a good situation but he had a lot of success in the AHL, and he’s also done a good job keeping the Leafs consistent (except playoffs, but bad format) despite a very inconsistent roster from year to year.
Is it inconsistant? The core stars have been the same, generally all Dubas changes is depth. This is the 1st year hes really made impactful trades other than Muzzin which was A+

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

This is a young team that needs leadership and not someone who’s completely unproven.

They are entering into critical phase

Reactions: CBJx614

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Rimer said he could see Gallant getting fired if the rangers lose early .. Gallant would happily take the job here ..Rimer made it sound if Columbus would have offered hes not so sure Gallant takes the Ranger job

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Rimer said he could see Gallant getting fired if the rangers lose early .. Gallant would happily take the job here ..Rimer made it sound if Columbus would have offered hes not so sure Gallant takes the Ranger job
Highly highly doubt he’s getting fired after only two seasons when each were above 105 points and one of them was a conference finals appearance. Even if NJD sweep them.

Reactions: I3LI3

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Bring that Babcock in. He bullied Marner blaablaa maybe he has learn something about that maybe not, but he has been coaching youngster last years he is unbealivible great coach with high hockey IQ.
I have zero interest in being Babcock's second chance given how well the Leafs have "developed" when it comes to toughness and tenacity.

No one can be worse than Larsen.
Dallas Eakins was worse this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad