Prospect Info: 2023-24 prospect information - BUT WHERE ARE THEY GOING TO PLAY?!

Prospect polls starting on 2/3 - what to do with #1?

• Get the formality over with and give Nikishin #1

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Start at the #1 prospect vote and give room for debate at the spot

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I don't blame Dundon as much as I blame Donny Wads....it was his personal relationship with the Wolves that got us the affiliation initially. Should we have known better? Probably, but not necessarily.

As far as the Checkers are concerned, that was more on Kahn than anybody. Then it got to be a dick measuring contest and Tom could buy more dick inches that Kahn could ever dream of :D.

I'm in the camp that I'd hope Tom Dundon is exploring the pluses and minuses of buying an AHL affiliate. Would solve the problem long term. But the ROI is probably limited unless there's a real marketing synergy opportunity (which it felt like we never maximized with Charlotte anyway).

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
As much as I want them to and expect them to sort out the affiliate issue after this season, I'm not really worried in the slightest about our European players spending the season in Europe. It's possible some of them will get even better development than they would have in the AHL depending on what roles they get. As BBA said, I'm more interested in the guys that will be local. Given that we've continued to sign guys since this came out that will likely need to be stashed in the AHL, I suspect we do have some sort of plan even beyond just putting guys wherever we can. Either some sort of loose split affiliation or just helping Chicago with their transition to becoming independent, as much as that might put a bad taste in our mouths.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
As far as the Checkers are concerned, that was more on Kahn than anybody. Then it got to be a dick measuring contest and Tom could buy more dick inches that Kahn could ever dream of :D.
7suzsc.jpg

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
As much as I want them to and expect them to sort out the affiliate issue after this season, I'm not really worried in the slightest about our European players spending the season in Europe. It's possible some of them will get even better development than they would have in the AHL depending on what roles they get. As BBA said, I'm more interested in the guys that will be local. Given that we've continued to sign guys since this came out that will likely need to be stashed in the AHL, I suspect we do have some sort of plan even beyond just putting guys wherever we can. Either some sort of loose split affiliation or just helping Chicago with their transition to becoming independent, as much as that might put a bad taste in our mouths.
This is about where I'm at. The Euro guys (minus Kochetkov, Pono, and Honka) honestly may be better off bring loaned back to their clubs in the KHL, Liiga, and SHL. Not sure how close Gunler is so he's a coin flip on loan or AHL. But that still leaves us with 6 or so forward prospects that we need to have somewhere, another 4 defensemen, and Perets.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I know it's not ideal that there isn't an AHL team, but the guys being able to play in KHL/European leagues that aren't close to being an NHL player aren't much of a concern to me.

It's more the guys like Suzuki, Rees, Pono that are closer to NHL ready.
I’m sure there’s a team willing to do a split. How many prospects can Tampa possibly have?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I gotta disagree that it’s no big deal that prospects that could be here learning the NA game on our ice aren’t here. It’s nice we have a place for them, and in some cases a defensive forward could learn to be more offensive minded over there or something like that but that’s not really the case here. Koivanen and Tieksola could both benefit greatly from being here. The only reason the three aren’t over here playing is us not having an AHL team, unless you think Tieksola wouldn’t even be playing there.

On top of that like BBA says it directly affects the guys that are on the doorstep currently.

The new regime is winning and that’s buying a lot of grace with this group of fans. This is a flaw in our system, and if you think that at the very least that the doorstep guys are negatively impacted you generally agree.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I gotta disagree that it’s no big deal that prospects that could be here learning the NA game on our ice aren’t here. It’s nice we have a place for them, and in some cases a defensive forward could learn to be more offensive minded over there or something like that but that’s not really the case here. Koivanen and Tieksola could both benefit greatly from being here. The only reason the three aren’t over here playing is us not having an AHL team, unless you think Tieksola wouldn’t even be playing there.

On top of that like BBA says it directly affects the guys that are on the doorstep currently.

The new regime is winning and that’s buying a lot of grace with this group of fans. This is a flaw in our system, and if you think that at the very least that the doorstep guys are negatively impacted you generally agree.
It's definitely a one year flaw. The hope is that they're incurring this short term pain in order to secure a long term solution. We shall see.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Just a dumb question, but is there any reason we couldnt send the AHL'ers to the ECHL to make sure they are getting the coaching we want them to? I mean bonus we win the ECHL too right!

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Just a dumb question, but is there any reason we couldnt send the AHL'ers to the ECHL to make sure they are getting the coaching we want them to? I mean bonus we win the ECHL too right!
Unless the player is on ELC, you apparently need his consent to be loaned to ECHL. I would also guess the NHL team has enough say on coaching matters when loaning the player to overseas, plus his salary will very probably be paid by the overseas team.

9.6 Loans to East Coast Hockey League. Players who are party to an Entry Level SPC may be Loaned to the East Coast Hockey League ("ECHL") without the requirement of Player consent, provided the Player will continue to be paid the stated amount of the AHL portion of his two-way SPC.

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I gotta disagree that it’s no big deal that prospects that could be here learning the NA game on our ice aren’t here.
I could be wrong, but aren't you one who's advocating leaving prospects we've drafted overseas in the past when people have wanted to bring them over?

Reactions: Nikishin Go Boom

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I mean, you can, but it's not going to develop guys as well to play against lesser competition and learn habits that will work in the ECHL but not higher. It's like 20yo CHL or 24yo NCAA players dominating but then being nominal AHL players. If you play a video game on easy, you'll eventually learn to dominate but then if you switch it to expert and use those same tactics, you'll get pwned

Reactions: DaveG

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I mean, you can, but it's not going to develop guys as well to play against lesser competition and learn habits that will work in the ECHL but not higher. It's like 20yo CHL or 24yo NCAA players dominating but then being nominal AHL players. If you play a video game on easy, you'll eventually learn to dominate but then if you switch it to expert and use those same tactics, you'll get pwned
I get the comp will be lesser but wouldn't it be better for the Canes prospects to be taught what the Canes org wants them to be taught instead of playing slightly better comp on someone else's AHL team?

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Having watched enough ECHL level hockey I’d suggest we shouldn’t have anyone but a system goalie play at that level.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I could be wrong, but aren't you one who's advocating leaving prospects we've drafted overseas in the past when people have wanted to bring them over?
Absolutely, in certain situations. This particular group has two guys that have already been brought over here. I feel like both are highly likely to have been playing for us here if we had a team. We’d already made the decision to bring Koivanen over, Tieksola has bounced back and forth but is now 22 - an age where I’d say he should probably be over here.

Since they’ve been already here it feels like the only reason they’re being reassigned is the team issue, that means to me their development path is being altered by this. Heimosalmi is less of a concern to me personally as I’ve watched him play and he definitely could use more time imo. I don’t think playing pro at the highest level for the year would hurt him. He’s a standard case of someone I would’ve advocated staying anyways. Tieksola I think should be here. Koivanen is a toss up, he was up and down when I watched him. Maybe pro there is good for him, but the team thought he was ready and they know more than I do.

People often want to rush the prospects over here because we’re excited about them and want to see them asap. I can definitely be against that, sometimes letting them develop their euro style offensively to the point it really stays with them can be great long term imo.

I think not having a team is a bad thing. Especially if it drags on, so I’m hoping it’s just this year as it seems development paths are being altered because of it. Could that be a good for one or two them? Who knows, maybe? Personally I’d rather just have a team.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad