Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
The Korbler situation (or Uronen) isn’t necessarily about the individual player, it is about team construction. Even if Korbler and Uronen come back and contribute at a reasonably solid level, they still logjam the wings. Neither play a premium position (Centre/Defence), and this current team, even with prospects, do not have enough centres let alone capable centres. They will get the 33rd pick in the Import draft. That is an opportunity to draft a premium position player where we lack depth at. We have more than enough wingers, especially if we want to inject some size and give a couple of the bigger young players like Hilton and Houben some reasonable ice time to get them going.

Korbler could come back next year and score 20 goals and 30 assist for 50 points as the #1RW. Great. But, what good is that if we have guys playing centre that are overmatched at the #2 and #3 centre positions?

To me, “IF” the 67’s European contacts identify a player that is a solid centre that they feel can transition to the CHL and would play in Ottawa, I think they need to release one of the Imports and jump on that player. Personally, I would keep Uronen. If this is a rebuild year then Uronen would age out and we’d get a relatively high Import pick again next year to replace him. Of course, if the 67’s don’t have someone lined up in the Import draft that plays a premium position, then I agree keeping both is ideal BUT, I would look to trade one of them early and open the doors for a younger player to get an opportunity.

Regarding the younger players, if this is a rebuild/reset year then the younger players will get ice time so I wouldn’t worry about it too much.
I'm with Beast on Korbler OMG, I do think he has potential and we need to keep him for two years from now. He's not a Rossi ( sorry Beast) but I do think we need to keep him and let Uronen go as he does not fit our timeline. I agree with you we need a center, not only that but a first line guy. So we need to swing big to ideally get an 18 y.o. that would be a pillar in two years. I don't think keeping Uronen for the purpose of opening a draft slot next year is a very good idea because even if we do a limited sale I don't see us being that bad so we'll probably get a pick somewhere between 20-40 anyway. Also don't forget there might be a pent up supply of russians/belorussians this year so we have a better chance to get that center. All that being said I agree our Achilles heel going forward is center. I see Gardiner as a number two period. I do think after the playoffs that Dever is a competent #3. Whitehead is #4 until he proves he can move up. Keep Amidovsky on the wing at least year one would be ideal. But you need to get that guy for line one so guys can slot in well.

Reactions: beastintheeast

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'm with Beast on Korbler OMG, I do think he has potential and we need to keep him for two years from now. He's not a Rossi ( sorry Beast) but I do think we need to keep him and let Uronen go as he does not fit our timeline. I agree with you we need a center, not only that but a first line guy. So we need to swing big to ideally get an 18 y.o. that would be a pillar in two years. I don't think keeping Uronen for the purpose of opening a draft slot next year is a very good idea because even if we do a limited sale I don't see us being that bad so we'll probably get a pick somewhere between 20-40 anyway. Also don't forget there might be a pent up supply of russians/belorussians this year so we have a better chance to get that center. All that being said I agree our Achilles heel going forward is center. I see Gardiner as a number two period. I do think after the playoffs that Dever is a competent #3. Whitehead is #4 until he proves he can move up. Keep Amidovsky on the wing at least year one would be ideal. But you need to get that guy for line one so guys can slot in well.

Agreed on the #1 Centre but I think we can look at it as two #2’s as well. That is fine enough for now.

I’m not 100% sold on 2025-26 as a window. I know Mews and Marrelli will be 19 years old but loads of teams have two good 19 year olds. Relatively speaking, there doesn’t seem to be anything behind them in that age group. Kelly hasn’t proven capable. Brady may be fine but maybe not. Hilton hasn’t pushed through in any meaningful way. It could end up being only Mews and Marrelli in that age group anchoring that roster. That really isn’t enough. Additionally, the one major player that is supposed to support that 19 year old group (the ‘07 1st round pick) defected. So, we have a bit of a hole there too.

If we are truly trying to build a contender, which I do not think this management group is even remotely trying to do, they likely have two rebuild years ahead of them, not one. The advantage of looking at it that way is they can do two light seller seasons trading two marquis players plus maybe one or two other guys if the deal makes sense and is really advantageous. Those two are Pinelli and Mews. I mean, this is all hypothetical because not only do I not foresee them trading Mews, I don’t see them trading Pinelli either. I really don’t think this management team has the heart nor the guts to make those kids of trades.

But, for sake of discussion, let’s assume we agree that the 2025-26 season is unlikely to be fruitful enough to consider that as an honest contender. That means we likely build around the ‘07 group (without the 1st rounder). We’d have Whitehead, Dietsch, Yanni, Nelson, and Houben. I think we’ve seen enough of those players to at least suggest that is a pretty decent draft class even if the 1st rounder isn’t present. That draft class would be backed up by the ‘08 draft class. If we were to trade Pinelli and get another 1st rounder ‘08, then I could see the possibility of the 2026-27 season as a potential for success.

We’d probably benefit from a 17 year old centre that is capable of playing the 2nd/3rd line this year. That player juggles in with Whitehead and Dever. I agree Amidovski likely benefits from top 9 duty on the wing as opposed to centre on the 4th line. He then steps into Gardiner’s or Dever’s centre role as a 17 year old.

Korbler does have some potential, but I don’t see him fitting the timeline at all. A team that has a harder time drafting and signing Imports could/would trade a decent value for him. We keep Uronen. He can do whatever he ends up doing. We draft another guy in and around the 20’s next season. That player will be 18 in the 2026-27 season.

They could look to trade players like Gardiner, Foster, and Marrelli as well at certain points in the future but if they are committed to trading Pinelli and Mews, they really wouldn’t need to trade any of those other players. The return for Pinelli and Mews would be enough to fuel a run later.

To me, that is the approach IF they were truly trying to build a contender or at least open the door to being that team. I don’t think they will go there. I think they are far too conservative. I think what we will see is them trading away the OA’s that have value, fill in some of the empty spots in their draft pick cabinet (specifically 2026), and be as competitive as they can be. I don’t see them winning a round in the playoffs either of the next two seasons which will make the decision to not sell Pinelli and Mews all the more frustrating.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Agreed on the #1 Centre but I think we can look at it as two #2’s as well. That is fine enough for now.

I’m not 100% sold on 2025-26 as a window. I know Mews and Marrelli will be 19 years old but loads of teams have two good 19 year olds. Relatively speaking, there doesn’t seem to be anything behind them in that age group. Kelly hasn’t proven capable. Brady may be fine but maybe not. Hilton hasn’t pushed through in any meaningful way. It could end up being only Mews and Marrelli in that age group anchoring that roster. That really isn’t enough. Additionally, the one major player that is supposed to support that 19 year old group (the ‘07 1st round pick) defected. So, we have a bit of a hole there too.

If we are truly trying to build a contender, which I do not think this management group is even remotely trying to do, they likely have two rebuild years ahead of them, not one. The advantage of looking at it that way is they can do two light seller seasons trading two marquis players plus maybe one or two other guys if the deal makes sense and is really advantageous. Those two are Pinelli and Mews. I mean, this is all hypothetical because not only do I not foresee them trading Mews, I don’t see them trading Pinelli either. I really don’t think this management team has the heart nor the guts to make those kids of trades.

But, for sake of discussion, let’s assume we agree that the 2025-26 season is unlikely to be fruitful enough to consider that as an honest contender. That means we likely build around the ‘07 group (without the 1st rounder). We’d have Whitehead, Dietsch, Yanni, Nelson, and Houben. I think we’ve seen enough of those players to at least suggest that is a pretty decent draft class even if the 1st rounder isn’t present. That draft class would be backed up by the ‘08 draft class. If we were to trade Pinelli and get another 1st rounder ‘08, then I could see the possibility of the 2026-27 season as a potential for success.

We’d probably benefit from a 17 year old centre that is capable of playing the 2nd/3rd line this year. That player juggles in with Whitehead and Dever. I agree Amidovski likely benefits from top 9 duty on the wing as opposed to centre on the 4th line. He then steps into Gardiner’s or Dever’s centre role as a 17 year old.

Korbler does have some potential, but I don’t see him fitting the timeline at all. A team that has a harder time drafting and signing Imports could/would trade a decent value for him. We keep Uronen. He can do whatever he ends up doing. We draft another guy in and around the 20’s next season. That player will be 18 in the 2026-27 season.

They could look to trade players like Gardiner, Foster, and Marrelli as well at certain points in the future but if they are committed to trading Pinelli and Mews, they really wouldn’t need to trade any of those other players. The return for Pinelli and Mews would be enough to fuel a run later.

To me, that is the approach IF they were truly trying to build a contender or at least open the door to being that team. I don’t think they will go there. I think they are far too conservative. I think what we will see is them trading away the OA’s that have value, fill in some of the empty spots in their draft pick cabinet (specifically 2026), and be as competitive as they can be. I don’t see them winning a round in the playoffs either of the next two seasons which will make the decision to not sell Pinelli and Mews all the more frustrating.
If you treat Whitehead like crap and put him back on the 1 shift a game 4th line, then you are not only hurting the player, but you are killing the integrity of the team.

The young guns need to develop, and that will only happen if they gets a chance to play. Again, I can see them telling Boyd to GTH trade me.

If we are building then we need young bodies that can develop and are going to return in 25/26. Using your logic let me float this. First, I do not see Uronen coming back. But given a choice of having players that are going to develop, then letting him go and getting a young 17-year-old that may be draft-eligible this year. Play Korbler let him show what he has. If he does not work out then you can let him go next year. and carry on the development.

I agree this is more of a 25/27 because they wasted this past season.

The one thing that Ottawa was known for is that it developed young talent. Sitting them on the bench, in the stands, or having your #2 draft pick sit on the 4th line for 2 years is not saying much. It says that the scouts have no friggin clue what they are doing, It says that DC can not develop players. It says that this is the Kingston Frontenac of old.

We all know Kingston has trouble getting picks to play for them. Please do not say well, they got Wright. He had no choice, and as soon as he could, he was gone.

If Amidovski does not sign and decides that he either wants to be traded or will move to BC, he now has tht ability. What would that tell you about Boyd,

BCHL is a competitive league that can now act as a Canadian version of the USHL because it is not HC-affiliated. It has no retrictions and can sign players from any province or country.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

I guess whether we build for 25/26 or 26/27 will largely depend on how our 07 group does next year. Yes we have a hole with B not reporting but Whitehead was essentially a first rounder and imo he's very talented. I also really liked Yanni and Dietsch in limited action. The reviews on Nelson are stellar. If they take a big step next year 25/26 is a possibility with a sell next year..pinelli, Mayich etc... We also might have good OA's Gardiner? Foster? Dever etc. However if that 07 class is slow to develop yeah you might be right and 26/27 might be more feasable.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I guess whether we build for 25/26 or 26/27 will largely depend on how our 07 group does next year. Yes we have a hole with B not reporting but Whitehead was essentially a first rounder and imo he's very talented. I also really liked Yanni and Dietsch in limited action. The reviews on Nelson are stellar. If they take a big step next year 25/26 is a possibility with a sell next year..pinelli, Mayich etc... We also might have good OA's Gardiner? Foster? Dever etc. However if that 07 class is slow to develop yeah you might be right and 26/27 might be more feasable.
Looking at the past drafts 20201 and 2021 were duds we really have no one tht has shined except Pinelli and, maybe mayich.
22 we got M and M and that is about it

I still think that this is a team that needs to clear all the 2020 2021 players and get icetime for the young kids. Are we going to win a lot of games o, but are we going to get the players we have time to develop? You do not develop sitting in the friggin stands or on the bench.

I still say you play with these players

start season
Gardiner
Foster/Barlas
Whitehead
Amidovski

After the deadline
Gardiner
Whitehead
Amidovski

We are NOT looking to win the division or conference. We HAVE TO look at rebuilding, and that means out with the old and in with the news. The only reason I am keeping Gardiner is that I think he has little return out of everyone else. or I would say keep Foster or Barlas. We are going to need a young LW or defence next year, so the Euro could be that. You're not going to find a 16/17-year-old Euro player who is going to step in and play second line right away.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
We need centres. There is no way around it. We don’t have them. Playing Whitehead in a situation he is not prepared for is not developing a player when he is overmatched physically. Dever can play the #3, maybe #2 with some strong wingers. Whitehead may be able to play #3 if he grows and gains some weight over the summer but he is kinda small and needs one more year of physical maturity. There is no sense jamming a square peg into a round hole. I think he is best suited as the #4 centre for a full season and allow him ample opportunity in sheltered minutes to physically mature. If he matures physically going into his 18 year old season, he may be capable of jumping to #2. Gardiner can play top 6. We are missing a middle 6 centre. It is integral to have three centres that are capable of playing and excelling in a top 9 role. I don’t believe we have that. Someone will be forced to play out of position again next year just like we saw the first half of this season. It serves no valuable purpose. The two wingers playing with the centre out of position will suffer.

We also need to systematically move in some bigger wingers and give them some opportunities. We need to free up some space on the wings. It can wait until post-deadline but they need some ice time on the 4th line at minimum.

What I would like to see Pre-Deadline:

Pinelli - Gardiner - Foster
Gerrior - Import - Uronen/Korbler
Barlas - Dever - Horner
Yanni - Whitehead - Amidovski
Hilton - x - Kelly

Pinelli traded at Deadline
Foster traded at deadline if it makes sense

This elevates Yanni and Amidovski to the 3rd line post-deadline. They may still need to find room for Houben but we will have to wait to see how he matures over the summer and into training camp.

It is possible we could see no new Import but if that is the case, Whitehead and Dever need to move up one slot (Amidovski to centre) and we get a log jam on the right side blocking younger players entirely. That pretty much forces them to trade Foster or Uronen at some point during the season.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If you treat Whitehead like crap and put him back on the 1 shift a game 4th line, then you are not only hurting the player, but you are killing the integrity of the team.

The young guns need to develop, and that will only happen if they gets a chance to play. Again, I can see them telling Boyd to GTH trade me.

If we are building then we need young bodies that can develop and are going to return in 25/26. Using your logic let me float this. First, I do not see Uronen coming back. But given a choice of having players that are going to develop, then letting him go and getting a young 17-year-old that may be draft-eligible this year. Play Korbler let him show what he has. If he does not work out then you can let him go next year. and carry on the development.

I agree this is more of a 25/27 because they wasted this past season.

The one thing that Ottawa was known for is that it developed young talent. Sitting them on the bench, in the stands, or having your #2 draft pick sit on the 4th line for 2 years is not saying much. It says that the scouts have no friggin clue what they are doing, It says that DC can not develop players. It says that this is the Kingston Frontenac of old.

We all know Kingston has trouble getting picks to play for them. Please do not say well, they got Wright. He had no choice, and as soon as he could, he was gone.

If Amidovski does not sign and decides that he either wants to be traded or will move to BC, he now has tht ability. What would that tell you about Boyd,

BCHL is a competitive league that can now act as a Canadian version of the USHL because it is not HC-affiliated. It has no retrictions and can sign players from any province or country.
I did not know Kingston had trouble getting picks to play for them; which of the 2003-07 born picks in the first 3rounds did not show?

Last edited:

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Koerbler leads 1-0, Koerbler with his 2nd goal of the tournament

now 1-1 Switzerland outshooting Canada 16-9

and once Canada scored they went nuts 6 goals so far in the 2nd period

Canada 7 Swiss 1 after 2

Last edited:
Reactions: sirius67fan

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Canada wins 8-1

Marelli +2 1sog 19:39

Mews +1 5sog 19:07

Koerbler 1g -1 4sog 12:13

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Just puttering a lot is going to depend on how well we develop the young players like Whitehead Yanni and Amnidovski

25/26

Barlas(OA) Euro Horner(OA)
Yanni Whitehead Korbler
Hilton Amidovski Kelly
Houben draft pick draft pick

Marelli Mews
Dietsch Brady
Draft draft

26/27

Yanni Whitehead Korbler
Hilton Amidovski Kelly
Draft pick Euro

Dietsch Brady
Draft draft
Draft draft

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
1714406277422.png

2024 eleventh overall selection, Nathan Amidovski has signed an Ontario Hockey League Scholarship and Development Agreement with the team.“We are enthused to officially welcome Nathan to the Ottawa 67's," said 67's General Manager James Boyd.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Just puttering a lot is going to depend on how well we develop the young players like Whitehead Yanni and Amnidovski

25/26

Barlas(OA) Euro Horner(OA)
Yanni Whitehead Korbler
Hilton Amidovski Kelly

Marelli Mews
Dietsch Brady
Draft draft

26/27

Yanni Whitehead Korbler
Hilton Amidovski Kelly
Draft pick Euro

Dietsch Brady
Draft draft
Draft draft
It would be nice to see that prospect pool deepen with a few trades this year, get a couple more grade A players to join Amidovski.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
View attachment 861747

2024 eleventh overall selection, Nathan Amidovski has signed an Ontario Hockey League Scholarship and Development Agreement with the team.“We are enthused to officially welcome Nathan to the Ottawa 67's," said 67's General Manager James Boyd.

Aiden hill is a little old for development camp, no?

LOL

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
He’s 15 years old and a very late birthdate (Nov ‘08). I’m sure there is some serious growth potential in there.
I hope so, but he is going to need to add some before September if he is doing well this year, I think.

I still think in DC's mind there is the idea of moving Horner back to the defence much like they did Sirman

They are going to need some size and strength.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I hope so, but he is going to need to add some before September if he is doing well this year, I think.

I still think in DC's mind there is the idea of moving Horner back to the defence much like they did Sirman

Horner is a much better winger than he is a defenseman, though. He's able to impact the game much more significantly as a hard forechecking winger with a decent scoring touch. His size and physicality complements our smaller forwards. Honestly, I'd be surprised if he is moved back to defense.

I think we'll collectively be surprised at how much bigger/stronger some of these younger players will look coming into camp in the fall. Teenagers can pack on serious muscle with some smart offseason strength training and nutrition.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Like any player, you have to wait and see. Not all players are going to be big and strong. You still need some skill and if that comes in a mallet package, then so be it. The challenge will be balancing that size and skill across the entire team and choosing where that smaller skill is injected and what role they play.

Horner is a much better winger than he is a defenseman, though. He's able to impact the game much more significantly as a hard forechecking winger with a decent scoring touch. His size and physicality complements our smaller forwards. Honestly, I'd be surprised if he is moved back to defense.

I think we'll collectively be surprised at how much bigger/stronger some of these younger players will look coming into camp in the fall. Teenagers can pack on serious muscle with some smart offseason strength training and nutrition.

I agree. We see it all the time (except for this past season), where players go from their 17 to 18 year old seasons and take a massive step forward physically. Along with that is a higher level of confidence.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The Korbler situation (or Uronen) isn’t necessarily about the individual player, it is about team construction. Even if Korbler and Uronen come back and contribute at a reasonably solid level, they still logjam the wings. Neither play a premium position (Centre/Defence), and this current team, even with prospects, do not have enough centres let alone capable centres. They will get the 33rd pick in the Import draft. That is an opportunity to draft a premium position player where we lack depth at. We have more than enough wingers, especially if we want to inject some size and give a couple of the bigger young players like Hilton and Houben some reasonable ice time to get them going.

Korbler could come back next year and score 20 goals and 30 assist for 50 points as the #1RW. Great. But, what good is that if we have guys playing centre that are overmatched at the #2 and #3 centre positions?

To me, “IF” the 67’s European contacts identify a player that is a solid centre that they feel can transition to the CHL and would play in Ottawa, I think they need to release one of the Imports and jump on that player. Personally, I would keep Uronen. If this is a rebuild year then Uronen would age out and we’d get a relatively high Import pick again next year to replace him. Of course, if the 67’s don’t have someone lined up in the Import draft that plays a premium position, then I agree keeping both is ideal BUT, I would look to trade one of them early and open the doors for a younger player to get an opportunity.

Regarding the younger players, if this is a rebuild/reset year then the younger players will get ice time so I wouldn’t worry about it too much.
Uronen has a ton of heath issues i hear. not sure he will play next year, at least not to start.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It is inconsequential to be honest. At the end of the day, IMO, they need to decide on one of them and move on fro the other and use their Import pick to snag a centre (assuming they can access one).
they waived uronen at the deadline incase they got a better import last year, i think hes done in ottawa bth.

edit; they waived him but did not release him, just to avoid confusion. you need to waive someone in cause you want to release them after a trade. it was just to keep their options open.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
they waived uronen at the deadline incase they got a better import last year, i think hes done in ottawa bth.

edit; they waived him but did not release him, just to avoid confusion. you need to waive someone in cause you want to release them after a trade. it was just to keep their options open.

I believe they were in on Sale and he would only go to Kitchener so that deal fell through. I believe they were working on other Imports as well but those teams weren’t making them available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad