Prospect Info: 2023-24 prospect information - BUT WHERE ARE THEY GOING TO PLAY?!

Prospect polls starting on 2/3 - what to do with #1?

• Get the formality over with and give Nikishin #1

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Start at the #1 prospect vote and give room for debate at the spot

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Wheeler has his post draft top 50 drafted prospects.

Nikishin is 36.

We have 3 honorable mentions: Morrow, Perron, and Nadeau.

reading his list over there's quite a few 23s that I would have Nikishin over currently that he has ranked in the teens. It's not egregious but at some point results are results for the guy. Kindof stunned that he has a guy that broke KHL scoring records for U-22 players, AS A DEFENSEMAN, that low.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
reading his list over there's quite a few 23s that I would have Nikishin over currently that he has ranked in the teens. It's not egregious but at some point results are results for the guy. Kindof stunned that he has a guy that broke KHL scoring records for U-22 players, AS A DEFENSEMAN, that low.
Shiny new toy affect always does this to more established guys

Reactions: MinJaBen and DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Shiny new toy affect always does this to more established guys
sometimes, he does have a few guys from prior years ranked higher that gave me "huh?" reactions when I saw them ranked where they were. Part of it also may be under-exposure for the KHL guys as well right now. Russia obviously is out of international play for the foreseeable future, so unless Wheeler or Pronman are going out of their way to watch KHL games, they're not getting the full picture since they aren't able to feature at say the World Championships.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Just a dumb question, but is there any reason we couldnt send the AHL'ers to the ECHL to make sure they are getting the coaching we want them to? I mean bonus we win the ECHL too right!
The ECHL talent level is mostly journeymen and people who are as good as they'll ever be. Though if you want a Kelly Cup dynasty, this is the way to go.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Just a dumb question, but is there any reason we couldnt send the AHL'ers to the ECHL to make sure they are getting the coaching we want them to? I mean bonus we win the ECHL too right!
It’s a fun thought, but another good reason this isn’t great for development is a prospect’s “need for speed”. At each successive level of hockey, the game gets faster…I’m sure you already know this. What you want for your prospects is for them to progress through these increased levels of speed until they eventually/hopefully adjust to the pace of the NHL. By having them compete in slower levels that they’ve already ascended past, you’d harm their development.

Last edited:

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
It’s a fun thought, but another good reason this isn’t great for development is a prospect’s “need for speed”. At each successive level of hockey, the game gets faster…I’m sure you already know this. What you want for your prospects is for them to progress through these increased levels of speed until they eventually/hopefully adjust to the pace of the NHL. By having them compete in slower levels that they’ve already ascended past, you’d harm their development.
Yeah I get that. The question is for one season would be better to be able to tailor their training within the organization, or loan them out?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah I get that. The question is for one season would be better to be able to tailor their training within the organization, or loan them out?
I think another intangible aspect. If I was a highly thought of prospect like Suzuki, Rees, Pono, etc... I'd immediately request a trade if the team said I was going to the ECHL, even for 1 season.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

They have Morrow, Nikishin, & Nadeau all above Drury.
idk about Nadeau but the other 2 make sense. I really do like Drury but I don't see a ton of potential beyond 3C. Nikishin is obviously our best prospect and one of the best league wide. Morrow while coming off a disappointing season does still have 1st pair RHD and elite PP QB potential. More risky of course but it's not like Drury is already 100% proven in the NHL. He's been solid in limited opportunity but could've done better. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Ponomaryov surpassed him at some point, although I'm very high on Pono.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
idk about Nadeau but the other 2 make sense. I really do like Drury but I don't see a ton of potential beyond 3C. Nikishin is obviously our best prospect and one of the best league wide. Morrow while coming off a disappointing season does still have 1st pair RHD and elite PP QB potential. More risky of course but it's not like Drury is already 100% proven in the NHL. He's been solid in limited opportunity but could've done better. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Ponomaryov surpassed him at some point, although I'm very high on Pono.
I also like Jack Drury and think he sometimes gets a bit of a raw deal. In the NHL, he's mostly been a product of his usage....and frankly, he's done what's been asked.

All that said, I think he's a pretty nice trade chip to add to other pieces. He's young, has shown flashes in men's leagues, and has a pretty high floor. I could easily see him as a piece in any deal moving Pesce or Skjei to get something extra (salary retention, extra pick or extra prospect)....if they feel Ponomarev or Rees are ready.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

How was his season disappointing?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
How was his season disappointing?
For a guy with his projections and in college, i was hoping to see him through the team on his back more. He had a stretch of doing well but it was inconsistent

But likely just unfair expectations

Last edited:

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Capfriendly has us at 39/50 contracts (lowest of the 7 teams or so I scanned). I wonder how many ELCs the team will sign this year?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Gotta figure most prospects would have been signed by now if we were intending to, no?
I get the impression that Morrow is the only one that we wanted to that we've punted for a season on. Though if we have an affiliate situation sorted for 24-25 that isn't the same kind of bullshit we might be able to get Blake, Lucius, and (if his freshman season is as expected) Nadeau under contract along with Rizzo and some of the Russians

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
NHL article with quotes from Waddell - Top prospects for Carolina Hurricanes

Interesting tidbits.

Morrow - The Hurricanes hope Morrow will sign and join them late this season after UMass' season is over.

Ponomarev - "We think he'll play games this season for us," Waddell said. "We think he's really close."
Yeah that's the sense I get too. I think Rod is big fans of Ponomarev and Drury. They play the game hard. Even if they don't score a lot, they could each carve out Warren Foegele-esque careers I think in the show. I look forward to one day trading Pono to Edmonton for Philip Broberg and Drury to Vancouver to get Ethan Bear again.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00