2023-24 NCAA, CHL, OHL and European prospects thread

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Cam Squires had 4 points in the first 2 periods vs St John, 2 goals and 2 primary assists.

The score was 6-0 when the game was abandoned with 18 minutes left.

Edit:

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Saturday Propedt Recap

Cam Squires had 2 goals , 2 primary assists , 3 shots , was a +4 and went 1 for 1 in the faceoff dot in the Eagles game last night. As noted above the game was canceled with 19 minutes left in the 3rd after a player on the opposition's bench had a medical emergency.

Josh Filmon was the 2nd Star Of The Game with 1 goal , 1 primary powerplay assist , 2 shots and was a +1 in Swift Current's 6 to 3 win.

CCHA Tournament

Chase Cheslock was a + 2 with 1 shot in St Thomas' 4 to 2 win.

Artem Shlaine did not play in Northern Michigan's 6 to 1 loss.

NCAA Regular Season

Charlie Leddy was a +1 with 2 shots in Boston College's 6 to 4 win.

Seamus Casey had 1 primary powerplay assist , 1 shot and was a -1.
Ethan Edwards was a +1 with 1 shot & 2 PIM in Michigan's 4 to 3 win.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
"There is always a possibility that the rights can be traded. The agents are in touch with me. I can get a call at any moment.

But everything I hear from Devils scouts is more about the positive side and the fact that they are waiting for me there," Orlov said.

This season, Daniil has 7 (2+5) points in 60 games in the KHL with an average playing time of 9:25. The defender is currently playing in the MHL playoffs.

PizzaAndPucks

Nov 29, 2018
Why has Shlaine stopped playing? Injury?

Do Squires' stats count from that game?
I believe he is injured.

Cape Brenton was up 6 to 0 with 19 left in the 3rd. Gotta think the other team might just mutually agree to settle on taking the loss.

Reactions: My3Sons

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Can Orlov be signed and brought over to Utica? With Vilen, Misyul, Casey, Orlov there's definitely a good looking prospect D pool in Utica next year. What about Barabosha or Karpovich coming over any time soon?

I'm assuming Hatakka is in NHL as 7th D or so, but he also might be in the mix. Vukojevic doesn't seem to be an NHL prospect anymore.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Can Orlov be signed and brought over to Utica? With Vilen, Misyul, Casey, Orlov there's definitely a good looking prospect D pool in Utica next year. What about Barabosha or Karpovich coming over any time soon?

I'm assuming Hatakka is in NHL as 7th D or so, but he also might be in the mix. Vukojevic doesn't seem to be an NHL prospect anymore.
Orlov signed for two more years. With growing role its a good timing, may be he will sign for two more years, will see how the situation will go. I dont think he is trying to force his way and I dont think Barabosha will force his way too, he doesnt sign, but I believe CSKA will sign him for 2-4 more years.
1710099503460.png

ВП - TOI
ВПМ - SH TOI
He played solid role for his age and the team(CSKA is a big club). Its good to good place for development. Much better than Utica.
Fitz should have patience. I understand that Bardakov may be want to sign a new deal(his wife is pregnant and he bought appartments few time ago), but Orlov and Barabosha can develop into the solid bottom pair defensemen(in case of Orlov - may be even a bigger role), so its good to have them and develop them for free, without losing roster spot and rights.

As I remember Karpovich is a free agent. Will see how he and his agent will decide to act after that. May be he will sign KHL deal, may be AHL deal, as I remember Devils wanted to see him in KHL.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Thanks Guadana. I was hoping for some good news about our Russian prospects coming sooner, although I guess the defensemen, it's much better to develop in KHL now and wait for spots. Gritsyuk is really the only forward and the only one who could possibly step right in, but we have another year.

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Thanks Guadana. I was hoping for some good news about our Russian prospects coming sooner, although I guess the defensemen, it's much better to develop in KHL now and wait for spots. Gritsyuk is really the only forward and the only one who could possibly step right in, but we have another year.
I think IF defensemen will pan out, they will be ready and should be ready more close to the end of Siegs and Marino deals, when all of our young players will be on more expensive deals, Russian defensemen will be ready to step up and will be cheap. I dont see big need in them now.

Gritsyuk is a good option to invite him next season, but with new deals of Mercer and Luke, its ok to have good top-9 option after next season. I think he is finally ready for NHL role.

PizzaAndPucks

Nov 29, 2018
Sunday Prospect Roundup

CCHA Tournament Querrer Finals

Chase Cheslock scored a powerplay goal and was -1 with 5 shots on goal in St Thomas's 3 to 2 loss. St Thomas's season is over after that loss. Cheslock should be off till the prospect camp 4 months from now this summer.

Cole Brown had 1 goal , 2 secondary assist , was + 3 with 4 shots & 2 PIM in the Bulldog's 7 to 2 win.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I think IF defensemen will pan out, they will be ready and should be ready more close to the end of Siegs and Marino deals, when all of our young players will be on more expensive deals, Russian defensemen will be ready to step up and will be cheap. I dont see big need in them now.

Gritsyuk is a good option to invite him next season, but with new deals of Mercer and Luke, its ok to have good top-9 option after next season. I think he is finally ready for NHL role.
Does Gritsyuk has an NHL out clause for next season?

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
probably just meant coming over when the KHL season is done in April if we are in the playoff hunt

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I thought so, was curious why Guadana mentioned it.
It was about his game. As I mentioned before, he wasnt ready for NHL game in different aspects of the game. Now he is involving when it needs too, he is hard enough on the boards to be competitive enough, he is changing the line and cross the ice without the puck, i would say he could be better defensively without the puck in D zone, but mostly he is NHL ready now on my taste, he wasnt before. When he is winning some puck battles against 6'3-6'6 defensemen, you have less worry about adaptation.
He still needs to play one more season by his deal.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Green’s postgame comments: “All of life is a roll of the dice. We can not control who wins or loses. To try is to admit defeat. We’ll keep taking it one game at a time and get ready for Dallas on Wednesday.”

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Reading through The Hockey News' annual Future Watch. They have our top 10 prospects as: Hameenaho-Casey-Daws-Schmid-Foote-Gritsyuk-Malek-Stillman-Filmon-Misyul. Lenni and Seamus ranked #74 and #93 league wide.
Find it hard to believe that there are posters here saying Casey is a good trade choice because the Devils are deep on the right side.

No they are not.
Dougie
Marino
Nemec
Smith? A LH D-man whose best spot is #7 or at best 6/7 LD with Bahl sitting out.
DeSimone, a 29-yr-old, 8-yr AHL Journeyman acquired on 1/25 and has yet to suit up for a Devils game.

Then who? COMETS
The Comets have Robbie Russo. Other than him they are inking 5 LD in their starting lineup every night.
Colin Felix, an Adirondack call-up gets RD time when the Comets only have 6 D-men for that night.
Mikael Diotte, a soon to be 21-yr-old, 2-time undrafted Junior in the QMJHL, a league known for scoring and weak defense, has just signed an ELC. He hasn't even been in Utica as his Jr. season is still going on.
NJ can't be considering any of these 3 as NHL depth.

The reserve list
It doesn't show any other real good option to be an NHL D-man, at least for some time to come, other than Casey. There is no guarantee that he will even come out after this, his 2nd NCAA season. If he does, he is Utica bound. There is no way they try to pigeon hole ANOTHER kid into their D-corps with the disaster they have had there with too much youth this season already.

Casey definitely shouldn't be used as trade bait until they have a chance to definitely determine through a couple of seasons he is not going to graduate to the Devils. Right now he is their best future option.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Find it hard to believe that there are posters here saying Casey is a good trade choice because the Devils are deep on the right side.

No they are not.
Dougie
Marino
Nemec
Smith? A LH D-man whose best spot is #7 or at best 6/7 LD with Bahl sitting out.
DeSimone, a 29-yr-old, 8-yr AHL Journeyman acquired on 1/25 and has yet to suit up for a Devils game.

Then who? COMETS
The Comets have Robbie Russo. Other than him they are inking 5 LD in their starting lineup every night.
Colin Felix, an Adirondack call-up gets RD time when the Comets only have 6 D-men for that night.
Mikael Diotte, a soon to be 21-yr-old, 2-time undrafted Junior in the QMJHL, a league known for scoring and weak defense, has just signed an ELC. He hasn't even been in Utica as his Jr. season is still going on.

The reserve list
It doesn't show any other real good option to be an NHL D-man, at least for some time to come, other than Casey. There is no guarantee that he will even come out after this, his 2nd NCAA season. If he does, he is Utica bound. There is no way they try to pigeon hole ANOTHER kid into their D-corps with the disaster they have had there with too much youth this season already.

Casey definitely shouldn't be used as trade bait until they have a chance to definitely determine through a couple of seasons he is not going to graduate to the Devils. Right now he is their best future option.
I don't think many posters consider Casey expendable. Some view him as quite talented and almost a sure fire NHL player. I've watched him plenty in college and I think there is a lot to work with and we will have to see how he holds up physically and how his defense develops. I hope NJ develops him in Utica. Pair him with a lefty with some size and snarl who can defend (Misyul?) and you have a nice balanced pair or with a lefty with puck skills (Vilen?) and you have an ice tilting combo. Either way he deserves a year to work on his pro adjustment in the AHL. The reality is NJ is not deep at any position right now with the possible exception of left handed defenders. They are icing guys like Tierney and Foote in the NHL and of course Smith on defense. They have some nice left handed defense prospects but are any of them ready for the jump in your view and even then, NJ already has Bahl and Luke still working out the bugs.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I don't think many posters consider Casey expendable. Some view him as quite talented and almost a sure fire NHL player. I've watched him plenty in college and I think there is a lot to work with and we will have to see how he holds up physically and how his defense develops. I hope NJ develops him in Utica. Pair him with a lefty with some size and snarl who can defend (Misyul?) and you have a nice balanced pair or with a lefty with puck skills (Vilen?) and you have an ice tilting combo. Either way he deserves a year to work on his pro adjustment in the AHL. The reality is NJ is not deep at any position right now with the possible exception of left handed defenders. They are icing guys like Tierney and Foote in the NHL and of course Smith on defense. They have some nice left handed defense prospects but are any of them ready for the jump in your view and even then, NJ already has Bahl and Luke still working out the bugs.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

No they are not.
Dougie
Marino
Nemec

Then who? COMETS

The reserve list

The only one real position where Devils have good depth is RW. They have Bratt, Meier signed for 8 years, they have Mercer and Holtz under control, they have Hameenaho.

Thats all. I like depth of the left defense - Luke is awesome when he is on, Orlov, Karpovich, Misyul and Vilen are very promising prospects. The problem is Orlov and Karpovich are in years away from NHL, Vilen isnt ready product, looks promising but raw and I dont know how many years he needs to be NHL ready. Misyul looks NHL ready but mostly 3rd pair level if he is good enough - we dont know until they will try him to play. Hattaka is good as a depth defenseman but mostly that all he got. May be we have something in Orlov and Karpovich as potential top-4 defensemen, but its way too early to tell. Karpovich needs to show more offensive upside in adult environment or add even more mobility on the short distances - he is good in this aspects, better than you can expect from a guy of his size, but still not on the top-4 level, his positional game and defensive iq needs to polish, again - its ok, work in progress, but needs time. Orlov is intriguing player, needs to learn more how to defend in adult context, add more physics to his game without the puck. He reminds me of Marino in a very raw form with better offensive tools. Edwards needs time in AHL, may be he is good depth defenseman for minor role.

Overall with promising left defensemen - all of them are not sure thing. We can trade one or another, but its better to save and develop them, especially with stagnation of Bahl and regression of Siegs.

Center depth doesnt exist. We traded the only one defensive forward with at least some NHL potential. With no players outside Nico and Jack its a huge problem.

Goalie? he-he

Left wing is about Gritsyuk. He has good potential, NHL ready, but thats all we really have. And our NHL LW depth isnt great.

We can trade Squiers, Filmons, Cheslocks, Stillmans, but mostly they dont have any real value for other teams. The only real piece we can trade without big problem is Holtz. Left defensemen can be traded, but its still ok to draft and trade someone or another.

Fitz should work hard on the draft and he should draft for upside. And we should save Mercer, Casey and Gritsyuk, if we want to have longer window(because without cheap talented players there are no long windows - if they are good - you sign them, trade some players and continue to compete). I would prefer to save Hameenaho, but I dont know what Fitz is thinking about his RW long term plan.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
:skeptic:
"They have some nice left handed defense prospects but are any of them ready for the jump in your view"

No and I'm not even sold on Hatakka as so many Devils posters are. He makes way too many gaffes here for my liking. Can't believe those errors don't start to surface in NJ as well.

Misyul and Vilen have promise but not just yet. You need a D-prospect

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
:skeptic:
"They have some nice left handed defense prospects but are any of them ready for the jump in your view"
No and I'm not even sold on Hatakka as so many devils posters are. He makes way too many gaffes here for my liking. Can't believe those errors don't start to surface in NJ as well.

Misyul and Vilen have promise but not just yet. You need a D-prospect

Hatakka has had a small sample size here. Hopefully he's someone who could be, at least, a 7th defender. But he was a throw-in (while injured!) for contract purposes rather than a get, so anything we get is a win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad