2023-24 NCAA, CHL, OHL and European prospects thread

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Not out guy anymore but the KHL rights to Popu involved in a deal where contracts and rights to 9 players are traded straight for cash.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
And that would be after taking LSD?

Hmm, perhaps. With the MLB schedule unexpectedly dropping yesterday, I already penciled in some travel for 2024 which affected some ideas I had for September/October. In theory I could drop by for the Devils home opening nights and then get my prospect nerdiness on:

10/12: Red Wings@Devils
10/13: Coyotes@Devils
10/14: USNTDP@BU

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

This is very good for Cam Squires
"Robitaille joins the Sydney-based organization after spending the last three seasons as the head coach of the Gatineau Olympiques. Robitaille and the Olympiques mutually agreed to part ways following the end of the 2022-23 campaign.

During his time with the Olympiques, the 41-year-old posted a 104-38-25 record in 167 regular season games. He also led the team to its first semifinal appearance since 2011 last season, losing to the eventual Memorial Cup champion Quebec Remparts."

Given that record i'd think that parting of ways wasn't so "mutual".

Gatineau was losing what looks like their top line, I wonder if Robitaille was wary of a fall back year being posted to his resume.

But he definitely won a bunch of games there.

Reactions: OmNomNom

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC

Not out guy anymore but the KHL rights to Popu involved in a deal where contracts and rights to 9 players are traded straight for cash.

Technically I think he is our guy because we hold rights indefinitely on our reserve list to players from leagues without a formal transfer agreement or some such. So he's still on our reserve list, but his performance at SKA probably didn't do him any favors.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Technically I think he is our guy because we hold rights indefinitely on our reserve list to players from leagues without a formal transfer agreement or some such. So he's still on our reserve list, but his performance at SKA probably didn't do him any favors.

I'm not certain that this supercedes the fact that Popugaev was drafted out of junior and not the KHL. As such he would've been considered a 'defected player' and, if my interpretation is right, should've been a UFA after 4 years.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Maybe, you’re right that he was drafted out of junior. I think while he’s in KHL it’s limbo but if he were to switch to a league with an XA the need to sign him would be imminent. He’s listed on the reserve list on Capfriendly. But, who knows

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I still enjoy that CapFriendly has Ivan Khomutov (2003 draft pick who hasn't played in nearly a decade) on our reserve list.

R.bc9572be0535cbc8d36b3956308f9167

Reactions: Guttersniped

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Capfriendly says that Moynihan and McCarthy are no longer on the Devils reserve list. I believe this means that they will be UFAs at the conclusion of their college career and don't have to wait until August 15, but I am not sure.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Capfriendly says that Moynihan and McCarthy are no longer on the Devils reserve list. I believe this means that they will be UFAs at the conclusion of their college career and don't have to wait until August 15, but I am not sure.
I think they can both stay in college and play a 5th season due to Covid impacts.

If Moynihan wants to play hockey professionally that might be a good idea since his market right now is probably very low.

McCarthy maybe has options if he turns pro right now? Not sure.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think they can both stay in college and play a 5th season due to Covid impacts.

True, but we knew this already, that Moynihan was transferring.

If Moynihan wants to play hockey professionally that might be a good idea since his market right now is probably very low.

McCarthy maybe has options if he turns pro right now? Not sure.

It's just unusual because to me it implies the Devils didn't make either guy an offer - even with them being 5th year seniors there's a proviso for that in the CBA to retain rights.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
True, but we knew this already, that Moynihan was transferring.

It's just unusual because to me it implies the Devils didn't make either guy an offer - even with them being 5th year seniors there's a proviso for that in the CBA to retain rights.
Unless there was something that overrides what was shared on here, it seems like the logic was if Moynihan/McCarthy had enough credits to graduate by year 4, then the Devils don’t retain their rights for a fifth year.

Not entirely sure I understand the reasoning behind that rule, but that seems to be why the Devils lost their rights.

I had thought they would’ve signed both next year. Their NHL prospects are quite low, but there’s some inherent value in the older collegiate players who will take 4/5 years to hit veteran status in the AHL.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Unless there was something that overrides what was shared on here, it seems like the logic was if Moynihan/McCarthy had enough credits to graduate by year 4, then the Devils don’t retain their rights for a fifth year.

Not entirely sure I understand the reasoning behind that rule, but that seems to be why the Devils lost their rights.

I had thought they would’ve signed both next year. Their NHL prospects are quite low, but there’s some inherent value in the older collegiate players who will take 4/5 years to hit veteran status in the AHL.
We will never know how it played out behind the scenes but if the team drafting you hasn’t signed you after your junior year I’d say that they aren’t interested. At that point why not go where you are wanted? Having said that, neither McCarthy or Moynihan signed pro deals and are returning for a fifth year which is not a strong vote of confidence from any NHL organization.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018

Michigan finally released its full schedule.

Closest they get to me for a game is against UMass Amherst. Gonna try to catch 1 of the 2 games. Without Luke it makes the hype to see them live a bit less but seeing Casey and Edwards is still worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad