Prospect Info: 2023-24 #1: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I have never seen Gauthier play outside of highlights - is his archetype basically Owen Tippett on steroids?

I don't know. I watch him and doubt the way he plays now translates to the NHL in an immediate and smashing way, but it works now; so does he do it now because it works well enough? Does he adapt in the NHL and do a different thing that works, like Couturier can do? Maybe he's an ideal finisher for a Frost or Michkov. He looks like a future complimentary player, right now.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I have never seen Gauthier play outside of highlights - is his archetype basically Owen Tippett on steroids?
The short answer is basically, yes. He's big, a very good skater, and has a great shot - he may come into the league with a top 5 shot. He's a bit more physical than Tippett in that he throws more body checks than Tippett. Tippett is probably faster, and if he's not, he uses his combination of size and skating better than Gauthier. That's not to say Gauthier is bad at it, it's just Tippett generates SO MUCH off the rush because of his combination of speed and size. Gauthier can use his size and speed, but not as often as Tippett.

It's probably a toss up as to who is a better passer. Tippett's passing game has developed decently about as well as it could, and Gauthier makes a nice pass every now and then (mostly on the PP), but neither are going to be confused as playmakers. My biggest 'concerns' with Gauthier is 1) He will go 'missing' for multiple shifts in a row, where he's just kind of gliding around and not really doing much to affect the game one way or another; and 2) Apart from his shot, I rarely see a play from him where I come away thinking, 'that was special', or 'wow'. That doesn't mean he's bad, but to me it indicative of a limited player.

With that being said, Gauthier's good is still very good. The question around Gauthier is how far can his plus skills (combo of size, speed, shot) take him in the NHL. If he develops into Tippett-like (25-30g/20-25a), that's a good player. But because of how good his shot is, there's a chance that Gauthier turns into something even better, say a 30-35g/20-25a type of player.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The short answer is basically, yes. He's big, a very good skater, and has a great shot - he may come into the league with a top 5 shot. He's a bit more physical than Tippett in that he throws more body checks than Tippett. Tippett is probably faster, and if he's not, he uses his combination of size and skating better than Gauthier. That's not to say Gauthier is bad at it, it's just Tippett generates SO MUCH off the rush because of his combination of speed and size. Gauthier can use his size and speed, but not as often as Tippett.

It's probably a toss up as to who is a better passer. Tippett's passing game has developed decently about as well as it could, and Gauthier makes a nice pass every now and then (mostly on the PP), but neither are going to be confused as playmakers. My biggest 'concerns' with Gauthier is 1) He will go 'missing' for multiple shifts in a row, where he's just kind of gliding around and not really doing much to affect the game one way or another; and 2) Apart from his shot, I rarely see a play from him where I come away thinking, 'that was special', or 'wow'. That doesn't mean he's bad, but to me it indicative of a limited player.

With that being said, Gauthier's good is still very good. The question around Gauthier is how far can his plus skills (combo of size, speed, shot) take him in the NHL. If he develops into Tippett-like (25-30g/20-25a), that's a good player. But because of how good his shot is, there's a chance that Gauthier turns into something even better, say a 30-35g/20-25a type of player.

If he's still around, Tortorella's heavy emphasis on north-south hockey probably meshes well with him.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If he develops into Tippett-like (25-30g/20-25a), that's a good player. But because of how good his shot is, there's a chance that Gauthier turns into something even better, say a 30-35g/20-25a type of player.

I know we agree about the stylistic merits of his game, but I have the exact same projections when it comes to what I imagine his 90th percentile ceiling would be.

That is a useful support scorer in a deep lineup. That is not a franchise center piece (pun vaguely intended), to say nothing of him providing very little else besides finishing/solo entries. We're hoping a truly one-way 5th overall pick's realistic ceiling -- the highest pick in the "rebuild" -- is in the 60ish point range. Square that circle.

I'm trying to be positive, so at least he won't approach anywhere near $12MM AAV against the future rising cap. Briere is giddy about that best possible outcome.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I know we agree about the stylistic merits of his game, but I have the exact same projections when it comes to what I imagine his 90th percentile ceiling would be.

That is a useful support scorer in a deep lineup. That is not a franchise center piece (pun vaguely intended), to say nothing of him providing very little else besides finishing/solo entries. We're hoping a truly one-way 5th overall pick's realistic ceiling -- the highest pick in the "rebuild" -- is in the 60ish point range. Square that circle.

I'm trying to be positive, so at least he won't approach anywhere near $12MM AAV against the future rising cap. Briere is giddy about that best possible outcome.
Yeah, I think we are in the same general page. When I say chance for a 30-35g/20-25a guy, I mean non-zero, but it’s small…maybe 5-10%.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Once you accept that they won't win a Cup in your lifetime unless multiple extremely lucky things happen, following the team is much less stressful.
It’s so sad. I’ve been bc a fan since 1972. They haven’t won a Cup since I was 13. I’m 62 now and I realize I will not see them win again no matter how long I live. I hoped they would get it right with new management but nothing changes.

The whole freshman line is grading out better than him…….
Should have taken Perrault?

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
“You want me to play 4th line wing and check and kill penalties? I can do that.”

Flyers:

giphy.gif

Besides Barkey being a little too fun sized, Briere will be investing a lot of cap space into the 4th line for years to come!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
“You want me to play 4th line wing and check and kill penalties? I can do that.”

Flyers:

giphy.gif

Besides Barkey being a little too fun sized, Briere will be investing a lot of cap space into the 4th line for years to come!

Let's hope they don't figure out you can always have two 4th lines! That's twice as many! Double as Islandersy as the Islanders!

Some teams seek to build a team with 2 top-line caliber lines. But man, that's hard. And it's an awful lot of disgusting skill. We shall go a different route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00