2023 - 2024 OOT Scoreboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
Almost reads like a DD post.

It just needs a “Refuse to lose” and the famed avatar lol.
eunufnD.png

I was going to initially predict 5-1 Anaheim, but opted for 3-1 because I felt the Devils would be able to at least limit chances against a bottom feeder. I guess I let my usual optimist thinking about this team cloud my rational thought and logic. I won't make that mistake again. You all know how I feel about Philly and Torts.

6-2 Flyers.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
eunufnD.png

I was going to initially predict 5-1 Anaheim, but opted for 3-1 because I felt the Devils would be able to at least limit chances against a bottom feeder. I guess I let my usual optimist thinking about this team cloud my rational thought and logic. I won't make that mistake again. You all know how I feel about Philly and Torts.

6-2 Flyers.
IMG_4317.jpeg

Agreed.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
How can Ottawa and Buffalo STILL be this bad after so many years and now with some pretty decent top end talent?

And then some people dismiss culture as something that doesn't really exist.

Pretty sure culture is one of the reasons those teams continue to suck no matter who's on the roster, while a team like Boston can lose their 2C and replace a HOF 1C with Pavel Zacha yet still be on pace for like 130 points.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
How can Ottawa and Buffalo STILL be this bad after so many years and now with some pretty decent top end talent?

Pretty sure culture is one of the reasons those teams continue to suck no matter who's on the roster, while a team like Boston can lose their 2C and replace a HOF 1C with Pavel Zacha yet still be on pace for like 130 points.

Do people dismiss culture? A lot of culture comes from winning, back in the day the Devils were an example of that. The Devils team of old won on fumes well after its glory years because it was machine. The Bruins are a machine.

Once you start losing and losing and losing, because you’re bad, it’s hard to break the cycle. Talking about a winning culture doesn’t get you a winning culture.

Also team building is a thing.

What’s good about Kevin Adams is he hasn’t done any destructive Edmonton-style GM moves in a misbegotten attempt to improve the team.

What’s bad is hasn’t done much of anything to improve the team.

Yes, he has a lot of young talent, some he’s already locked up, and he’ll need more cap space for rest. But the team is too young and bit one dimensional.

Dahlin has played for a while (386 GP), but then it’s:
24 yo Jokiharju 302 GP
23 yo Samuelsson 137 GP
21 yo Power 119 GP
22 yo Johnson 22 GP

Connor Clifton and Erik Johnson are depth pieces, they would benefit from a veteran defenseman who’s more of a difference maker.

Forwards are very young too. Getting a better veteran presence than Jordan Greenway would help.

They have no goaltending and play no defense, so there’s that. Love JJ Peterka tho, would love to have him in a Devils sweater. Would be interesting if they got a new GM who did things other than draft.

Ottawa has been hindered by a bunch of unforced errors by Dorion. He went the “destructive Edmonton-style GM moves in a misbegotten attempt to improve the team” route.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

No respectable person in the entire sport is willing to work with Terry Pegula. None was willing to work for U-Gene but he has assumed room temperature so with the new owner things will likely improve.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Culture exists. It is just way less important than talent, and both teams have shit goaltending and bad defense. Whereas Boston has two of the best goalies in the league. Dismissing goaltending as something that doesn't exist is something that happens far too often around here.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Ottawa and Buffalo are shit because of their roster decisions outside of their picks. Buffalo has also gotten absurdly unlucky with the goalie position, Lehner was supposed to be their stalwart way back when to replace Ryan Miller then it was supposed to be guys like UPL and now Levi is having struggles. Ottawa is its own mess, they had a complete tear down and for the most part, they recouped a lot of assets from the old guard that almost won the most improbable Cup in quite sometime in 2017 but their UFA and other decisions have been quite miserable. They still think Travis Hamonic is an NHLer, they have virtually no bottom 6 besides Mathieu Joesph and their goaltending is also atrocious.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ottawa and Buffalo are shit because of their roster decisions outside of their picks. Buffalo has also gotten absurdly unlucky with the goalie position, Lehner was supposed to be their stalwart way back when to replace Ryan Miller then it was supposed to be guys like UPL and now Levi is having struggles. Ottawa is its own mess, they had a complete tear down and for the most part, they recouped a lot of assets from the old guard that almost won the most improbable Cup in quite sometime in 2017 but their UFA and other decisions have been quite miserable. They still think Travis Hamonic is an NHLer, they have virtually no bottom 6 besides Mathieu Joesph and their goaltending is also atrocious.
They signed Korpisalo to the worst contract of UFA this past year lol.

Raise your hand if you didn't see that coming? I'd expect everyone but Dorion wouldn't have their hand up.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
They signed Korpisalo to the worst contract of UFA this past year lol.

Raise your hand if you didn't see that coming? I'd expect everyone but Dorion wouldn't have their hand up.

Which is why I never get why the Devils get slandered for not making a move in net, it's the equivalent of someone bitching at you to do something but they not having an adequate solution in hand.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

You’re skipping over them having Ullmark and never successfully signing him longterm. He signed two 1 year deals, after filing for arbitration, and then f***ed off to Boston as a UFA in 2021-22. (He had the same Swedish agent as Bratt and he was a pain in the ass with Sabres too.)

Ullmark was quite good for Sabres when healthy by the end of his stint, they wanted to keep him at the end.

Ottawa? This is just dumb shit involving goalies recently.

Oct 2020: Trade for Matt Murray’s signing rights.
IMG_1234.jpeg

Oct 2020: Sign Matt Murray to 4 year/6.25m deal.
IMG_1237.jpeg

July 2022: Bribe Toronto to take Matt Murray, while retaining 25% of his salary. (That’s dead cap space for Ottawa even when he was on LTIR’ed for concussions.)
IMG_1233.jpeg

IMG_1245.jpeg

Murray had a ridiculous number of injuries in the latter half of his career including a number of worsening concussion episodes.

Gave a waiver wire pick-up, who previously had 48 NHL GP, a 3 year/2.75m deal at age 30 after he had a breakout year for them. Can’t blame them much for this, it was the best goaltending they had since Anderson’s prime and/or Hammond’s one run.
IMG_1246.jpeg

IMG_1247.jpeg

IMG_1249.jpeg

July 2022, the day after the Murray trade: Trade cheap young goalie for Cam Talbot.
IMG_1232.jpeg

Cambot sucks on their team.
IMG_1241.jpeg
IMG_1240.jpeg

Now 25 year old Gus the Bus flourishing in Minny despite knickname.
IMG_1243.jpeg
IMG_1242.jpeg

(Last 10 games after a rough start, Goose is back!)
IMG_1244.jpeg

July 2023: Sign Korpisalo to 5 year/4m deal.
Future buyout or trade w/ retained salary? Who can say really.
IMG_1235.jpeg

IMG_1251.jpeg

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
You’re skipping over them having Ullmark and never successfully signing him longterm. He signed two 1 year deals, after filing for arbitration, and then f***ed off to Boston as a UFA in 2021-22. (He had the same Swedish agent as Bratt and he was a pain in the ass with Sabres too.)

Ullmark was quite good for Sabres when healthy by the end of his stint, they wanted to keep him at the end.

Ottawa? This is just dumb shit involving goalies recently.

Oct 2020: Trade for Matt Murray’s signing rights.
View attachment 787406

Oct 2020: Sign Matt Murray to 4 year/6.25m deal.
View attachment 787404

July 2022: Bribe Toronto to take Matt Murray, while retaining 25% of his salary. (That’s dead cap space for Ottawa even when he was on LTIR’ed for concussions.)View attachment 787407

View attachment 787419

Murray had a ridiculous number of injuries in the latter half of his career including a number of worsening concussion episodes.

Gave a waiver wire pick-up, who previously had 48 NHL GP, a 3 year/2.75m deal at age 30 after he had a breakout year for them. Can’t blame them much for this, it was the best goaltending they had since Anderson’s prime and/or Hammond’s one run.
View attachment 787424
View attachment 787423
View attachment 787426

July 2022, the day after the Murray trade: Trade cheap young goalie for Cam Talbot.
View attachment 787408

Cambot sucks on their team.
View attachment 787410
View attachment 787411

Now 25 year old Gus the Bus flourishing in Minny despite knickname.
View attachment 787416View attachment 787417
(Last 10 games after a rough start, Goose is back!)
View attachment 787418

July 2023: Sign Korpisalo to 5 year/4m deal.
Future buyout or trade w/ retained salary? Who can say really.
View attachment 787405
View attachment 787430

Ya, they did have Ullmark but it always felt like he was gonna end up leaving. The year they got Power in the draft lottery and he was somehow .500 beyond that shit defense/roster solidified that for me. The other guys I mentioned seemed a lot more long term and guys they heavily invested in.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Ya, they did have Ullmark but it always felt like he was gonna end up leaving. The year they got Power in the draft lottery and he was somehow .500 beyond that shit defense/roster solidified that for me. The other guys I mentioned seemed a lot more long term and guys they heavily invested in.

When you follow a bridge deal with two very contested 1 year deals it’s very unlikely the relationship is great.

After his ELC he got a 2 year/750k deal in 2017-18.

The first settlement to prevent arbitration in 2019-20: 1 year/1.35m

The asks both sides submitted for the arbitration hearing:

The Sabres offered Ullmark $800,000, while the Swede countered with $2.65 million, Friedman tweeted this morning.
link

The second one in 2020-21: 1 year/2.6m

The difference between the team’s and player’s ask was again significant.

The two sides were scheduled to have a hearing on Monday. Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reported that Ullmark was going to ask for $4.1 million in arbitration while the Sabres were going into the hearing with a $1.8 million offer.
link

The Sabres were bottoming out (again) after 2020-21, it’s not like anyone could blame him for making the right choice lol.

They definitely tried to keep him. Understandably, he had been great for them for two seasons.

Linus Ullmark is a pending unrestricted free agent and it sounds like the Sabres are pushing hard to re-sign him.

“We’ve spent a lot of time with Linus’s agent over this offseason, had regular conversations, we’re gonna continue it. We’re working hard at it and I mean we’ve made it very clear to them that we would like to see Linus as our number one goalie so we’re gonna keep working at it. We’ll see where it gets,” Adams said.

“I also understand the rights players have and sometimes they make decisions but we’re gonna do everything we can and we’ve told and been open and honest from the beginning with Linus and his agent that we prioritize him.”

Not only do the Sabres not want to lose their established, number one goaltender, they also don’t have much depth at the position as far as players under contract for the upcoming season. Only Dustin Tokarski and Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen are under contract for 2021-2022.
link

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Islanders vs. Capitals tonight.

Gee....there's no shot this game ends up a 3-point game. /s :squint:
There's a better shot it ends up not a 3 point game than there is of me watching a second of that snoozer, outside of the goals against at the end of the night.

You'd probably have to consume some massive uppers (coke, meth) to stay awake for those two teams. That's a helluva lame matchup for the Eastern time slot, TNT national game of the week.

I'd rather watch Detroit vs Winnipeg.

That isn't TOO MUCH better, but at least it's a little better.

Reactions: glenwo2

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I reckon we will be getting a desperate Wings team Saturday. They are falling fast. At least they will be on a B2B after playing PHI Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad