2023-2024 EPL Season

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
As Bluesfan mentioned, Red Bull did this long before nationality got involved. I get the value for the sport, but I suggest that an Arab prince, Chinese real estate tycoon, or African mining company owner could've all done this down the road themselves. Hell, the owner of Sunderland is the son of the owner who owns Olympique Marseille.

E: The primary way to stop this is actually implementing laws that make it illegal.
Just a heads up : OM was sold years ago. Southampton's owner is the son of the deceased Louis Dreyfuss.
Frank McCourt is OM's owner. Has been for a long time now.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What do you think?
It must be, considering this isn't the first multi club setup, and there are other example of Euros and those who supposedly respect the game that have pushed to damage it, like the proposed super league.

To act like it's the big bad Americans ruining the game, and those with European values would never do such a thing is just an absurd statement.

Reactions: Blender

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I can all but guarantee other teams with PE owners have sovereign wealth funds.

It makes sense. It’s a very stable investment and all we’ve seen over the last few decades is sports team values going up and up.

Even incompetent leagues like they NHL have franchise values going way up over time.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I absolutely despise multi-club models. It sucks.

I understand the competitive advantage but it really just does suck.

I genuinely wonder about long term salary caps, harsh player loan limits etc. that will turn off teams from trying to do this type of thing.
Big reason for doing this is that the Chelsea loan-army model is no longer permitted. So they are going the Red Bull and Manchester City route.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Let's not forget the Sparta Prague owners have a major stake in West Ham :D
I know you’re joking, but Kretinsky is still a minority owner of West Ham, so in practice this isn’t really a thing. I know when Hlozek was moving a lot of West Ham fans were hoping the connection would mean something and it didn’t.

I will say all the talk when he came on was that this summer when the stadium club sale tax would expire would be the time Sullivan would sell and Kretinsky would take over, it’s interesting there’s been no smoke about this.

Reactions: maclean

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I enjoyed Leeds, but you could be right. I mean, I was born in West London, yet some days it seems like hell on earth lol.
One of my co-workers is from Sheffield and his life goal was to move out as soon as he could. He’s been in USA for like 30 years

Reactions: al secord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad